I swear if I have to listen to him call Herodotus a historical screenwriter one more time

I swear if I have to listen to him call Herodotus a historical screenwriter one more time

Dan "the loose grip on historical facts man" Carlin thread

Anything outwith Death Throes of Republic, Punic Nightmares, Khans, Blueprint for Armageddon and Ghosts of the Ostfront worth listening to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wmxP4Is0DYg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You dont have to listen to shit. Its a podcast not big brother.

So you've listened to literally nothing from him except for the King of Kings but you're already aboard the Veeky Forumsmeme train?
Dear lord, user

>Anything outwith Death Throes of Republic, Punic Nightmares. . .
I don't know if you're trying to say "out of [these podcasts" or "outside of [these podcasts]".

If the former, yes, all of them, if the latter, check out "Prophets of Doom" it's my favorite of his one-offs, I think it was around 3 and a half hours, great for long car rides.

>implying I listen to big brother

ebin meme sheep :^)

No, I've listened to all of those I mentioned obviously. All the big series. I just want to know if any of the older one-shots are worth it. I've noticed even going back to Republic the quality is very different.

Growing up 'outwith' was just a natural part of my vocabulary. Only found out recently that it's a Scottish thing and no one else uses it. Means outside of, apart from as you can probably tell from context.

All I remember of Prophets is it starting with an interesting look at the Reformation before veering off wildly. That and him apologising at the end because it didn't turn out how he hoped, lel.

>Only found out recently that it's a Scottish thing and no one else uses it

I did not know this, weird.
t. Scot

I don't know why anyone would listen to him

It's quite comfy. Quite fun lying in bed falling asleep listening to it. Dan's a bit of a silly sausage but that's him. His more recent episodes have definitely picked up in factual quality.

I'd rather listen to In Our Time, HPWG, or The Great Courses

TBQH

It's entertainment, you dingus

In Our Time's too stressful. You're always thinking about the panellists 'oh no, stop waffling on and on mate, Melvyn's gonna freak'

And then Melvyn interrupts and shoos them towards the point.

The point with HH is that it's entertainment, you don't feel obliged to pay attention so you can retain what you learn. You can just relax and let le wacky quote voice man roll over you

Feels bad man

Och aye the noo

Listening to King of Kings 3/4 right now, shit's cash. Already had a top tier Carlinism with 'Darius is the CEO of Persia Corp.'

Ghosts of the Ostfront is the best one then Blueprint for Armageddon then Punic Nightmares.

Folks, I keep listening to those episodes AGEEN and AGEEN. End quote.

I really enjoy him as a storyteller. He does a great job of emphasizing the magnitude of events, for example when talking about the fall of the Assyrian Empire, he punctuates how total their destruction was by skipping forward two centuries to Xenophon camping beneath a giant ruin of an Assyrian city with nobody around but nomads who can't tell him where it all came from.

>Those accounts he reads from that Muslim historian about the fall of one of their cities in the Wrath of the Mongols

>all those world war 1 accounts about hundreds of soldiers just running into bullets and dying for no reason

>all that Ostfront shit

Its an obvious nudge nudge poke poke to us that what he's doing is also very similar to the style of Herodotus.

Entertainment using and mixing history as the source

>Kangz of Kangz III is five hours long

I am happy with this

Did it just come out?

I'm good with this as well, I work security and these make the day fly by.

I listened to it recently, and man, I was actually kind of disappointed.

He did that thing he did at the end of Death Throes of the Republic, and completely glosses over Alexander.

I can see how that'd be annoying. If you want something entertaining and informative on Alexander, check out the historical biography Peter Green wrote.

Shows how aspie academics are. You can literally feel Melvyn fuming through the headphones yet they keep mumbling.

They just don't realise it's a damn radio show

he does have the cheeky bit where they carry on discussion after air though

Looks good; I'll give it a go.

>they kill Clint Eastwood, and all the other Clint Eastwoods, and all the other Greeks who aren't Clint Eastwood

I fucking love Carlin

Thanks for alerting me that the new Dank Arlin is out, OP!

A lot of his stuff is sort of factually iffy but he sure is a great entertainer. There is no comfier history podcast on the innerwebs.

What's your favorite Hardcore History series and why, anons?

Has to be Wrath of the Khans, just because it flows so well and it sounds like he enjoys telling the story so much. Even though it's so long I never get bored of it.

I swear to god, I listened to episode two like 30 times now (out of necessity, because what are you gonna do when you ride your bike an hour a day) and I can't stand him anymore, with his loud wanna be engaging voice and intonation.

But I still like the episodes in the begging but they get so terrible after a few listenings

DECEMBER 7TH 1941

WE ARE NOT DESCENDED FROM FEARFUL MEN

DISH WASH THEUH FINESHT OWAH

NOT QUITE TO THE MOORING MAST

I can never stop noticing Melvyn's heavy breathing

I just have a bit of a problem with his reading voice; it sounds like Doc Venture's Id from that episode of the Venture Brothers when they go into Rusty's mind.

I listen to podcasts at work so the long ones are the best. Wrath of Khans is my favourite though.

The people have gotta knowwww

Whether or not their President's a crook

Well I'm not a crook

AND HE TESTED THE SPIRIT OF SAMENITOS IN THIS WAY, HE HAD THE DAUGHTER OF THE FORMER KING DRESSED AS A SLAVE AND SENT OUT TO GET A JUG WATER...

I date which will live...in infamy

SONDERN DIE VERNICHTUNG DER JÜDISCHEN RASSE IN EUROPA...
[The drama]

>completely glosses over Alexander.

He makes the point multiple times that he is only discussing Alexander for the sake of completeness on the history of Persia.

I think it was a good decision given Persian accounts are threadbare by that point and people would be mad if he didn't have some sort of conclusion. Personally I would've ended it after Xerxes but he makes a good effort to illuminate a Persian side to Alexander's conquest and it convinced me that he was a mistake in terms of the development of civilization.

Punic Nightmares and especially how it ends put tears in my eyes. I try to be amoral about ancient history and look at all the disasters as important in making the world we live in but Jesus Christ, Carthage dindu nuffin ;_;

Stand-alone:
Darkness Buries the Bronze Age, its a blitz edition which I usually regard as filler but I loved the sense of mystery he was able to play with which I guess helps because the show often fills in the blanks. I've included this because in many ways I found it better than any series and I wish he would try doing special episodes on spooky mysteries (maybe just on Halloween).

>carthage dindu nuffin

Is that how he teaches it?

He sounds shit already.

American accents are so annoying I couldn't listen to entire podcast of their horrible voices

>Alexander was a mistake in terms of the development of civilisation

We have no idea how civilisation would have developed without him. What a weird claim and what a weird view on history.

I'm talking about the third Punic war. They literally gave up all their weapons and surrendered their children but it was never enough.

Scipio seemed to agree with the sentiment after Carthage fell.

Was gonna say lad

But tbqh they'd beaten Carthage before and they started shit again

May as well ensure they never try shit again

Razing Carthage had literally zero consequences, and I'd have done it a million and a half times over

CANNAE 216

NEVER FORGET

THIS IS OUR FINEST HOUR...

I wish ghosts had been longer while I wish Khan's was shorter. But blueprint is comfy length

Notice how there was never a fourth punic war? Razing Carthage to the ground ensured that.

Just think, the same might have happened to Germany had it not been for the need to form a bulwark against Gommunism :DDD

I like carlin hes very good at making you feel like your in the moment, i hope he keeps making more

apart from Carlin, what are actual educational podcasts to listen to? Looking mainly for historical or philosophical themed shows I guess.

Oh he'll be back AGEEEN.

And AGEEN.

Id say countdown to armageddon was my favorite. The change in warfare was such a change

Are you trying to mimic his cadence or something? All I'm getting out of this is some Irish accent.

That's Danny Boy's favorite line.
Listen to his voice and try to tell me that's not how you would transliterate it.
It's either AGEEN or AGIN.

Even Stephen Colbert poked fun at him for it. Skip to like 3:30:
cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/E7B95D80-80FF-0688-2964-4C035233CDA3/what-do-you-think-it-s-about-chicago-/

Thor's angels

Fuckin lol

I think I'd type it more as AGYEN. I'm from the South though

For the uninitiated:

youtu.be/wmxP4Is0DYg

So is Ben real or what?

>So is Ben real or what?

At this point, I kind of don't want to know one way or another. I've listened to all of his episodes and have found no evidence to indicate that Ben is actually real.

Those are good points, anons, but I'll have to stop you there as we're running short on time.

Outwith is just a Scottish thing? That is very strange, always just assumed it was a normal English word.

Blaming Dan Carlin is no good. He's a dumb schmuck working for an company that has no intellectual honesty in their products, and he has an audience that pays to see him. Blame the company and the audience, not the dumb schmuck they found to bridge the money gap.

He started as totally independent actually, he was doing podcasts before they exploded in popularity.

The guy's a journalist and into history as a hobby, not a stretch that he made a history-based media product on his own initiative.

For people asking about earlier episodes, before Punic Nightmares they are all essentially Blitz episodes, he discusses his thoughts on a topic and doesn't get much into a narrative. They're also a lot shorter, 30 minutes to an hour.

Blueprint for Armageddon is GOAT

>and completely glosses over Alexander.
He already covered Alexander in a previous podcast.

> constantly calls himself an amateur
> cites primary sources
> tells people to read books and learn for themselves
> makes no pretense of offering an authoritative account
> half the people on Veeky Forums still get booty blasted
sure, dan makes mistakes, but he presents the material in an engaging way and he encourages people to learn more about any topic that interests them. chill the fuck out, it's just a podcast.

I really enjoy listening to one of his podcasts before I start delving deeper into a subject. He is a talented storyteller that gives decently informative summaries of events. Obviously he's not someone you would cite in an essay, or use as an authoritative source, but he never claims to be. He works well as someone to give you an interesting overview of events before you do more reading.