Can you guys redpill me on CVTs. Are they better than most standard automatic/manual transmissions? Are they fun?

Can you guys redpill me on CVTs. Are they better than most standard automatic/manual transmissions? Are they fun?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=esvfVAmrCnw
youtube.com/watch?v=JSlPxMLDP-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5aazEJEu_6c
youtube.com/watch?v=yI6oWTysy0E
youtube.com/watch?v=6tNv-3vmllU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>fun
bait

>Are they better than most standard automatic/manual transmissions?

No.

>Are they fun?

About as fun as a Golf Cart.

A manual transmission will be faster in most cases right?

If you've never driven a manual like me it's more fun than auto, but at sub 20mph traffic the trans gets confused as to which gears so you have to pay attention even when you don't want to

Why did they ban CVTs in F1? (and most other motorsports too?)

We could've had god tier CVT cars by now

More fun? No
Technically more efficient? Yes
They are designed to keep the engine in its torque band, where it is fuel efficient.

>which gears
CVTs don't have gears. I think you mean that it gets confused about which ratio to use.

yes but only because 99% of CVTs are tuned for economy and comfort. CVTs have the ability to keep the rpms exactly at peak power and theoretically out accelerate a manual. Manuals don't have this ability to hold a certain rpm and accelerate at the same time

Well in the case of some next gen Honda Civic manual will be faster I'm assuming

>Are they better than most standard automatic/manual transmissions?
Depends on what you mean by "better." They're completely shiftless so theres no noticable drop in revs and no rocking or thunk as it changes ratios.

However, there's CVTs have no overdrive and the amount of torque that can handle is generally less than the torque converter gearbox.

>Are they fun?
No. Even the prindle automatic transmissions are more fun. But I gotta say that's pretty neat how the tach stays pegged at a certain RPM as merge onto the highway.

Gonna hijack this for a second

How about those "6 speed" automagic transmissions like the Mazda Skyactiv 6 speed auto?

With CVT you're trading liveliness, and reliability for efficiency, that's about it.

It's just an electronically controlled automatic.

It may seem more fun than just keeping it in D the whole time, but the ones I've driven are pretty shit only giving you the illusion of control in that every time you "shift" you are really just asking the computer if it's okay to shift and the computer will only allow your request if it deems it within its parameters as a "safe" shift.

The problem with CVT's isn't how they work.
The problem is twofold.

1: They're shit to drive, even compared to normal automatics.

2, and this is the big one: Reliability of them is absolute SHIT. Nissan dealer replace one every day. The only reliable CVTs are all attached to hybrids.

If a car has a manual option or a CVT, get the manual.
If a car is only available in CVT, avoid it like the plague.

Dsg master race checking in

Liveliness is efficiency

>uh oh i'm out of the powerband time to shift
>manual/automatic car slows as it hits a torque valley
>car with a sport-tuned CVT blazes by

The only inherent downside is that they're fragile as all fuck. a sport-tuned CVT wouldn't last for too many laps.

>uh oh i'm out of the powerband time to shift
Literally only a problem if you don't know how to drive.

Good for you.
BTW, DSG is a marketing term. The proper phrase is DCT.

DCTs are the best automatic transmissions you can get. They've been around a decade or so now. While CVT's have been around since the 1960's, DCT's are 10 times more reliable, more fun to drive, shifter faster than you can blink, and are capable of CVT-esque fuel economy.

The only reason everyone is using CVTs now is because they improve gas mileage and they're cheap, especially compared to a DCT.

At the moment, the best DCT isn't made by VAG or Ford. The Best DCT at the moment is an 8 speed made by Honda specifically for their Acura division.

The problem with DCTs is at low speeds around town. They've very jerky and don't like parallel parking. However, the DCT made by Acura solves this issue completely. By putting a classic style torque convertible between the engine and the transmission. The torque converter smooths everything out, making them amazing in everyday driving, but you still get your lightning quick shifts and better fuel economy. And unlike CVT's, Acura's DCT can actually take power reliably.
The transmission made its debut in the 2015 Acura TLX. It was made the sole transmission option of the ILX during the ILX's 2016 refresh (replacing the 6 speed manual and 5 speed automatic). And as a bonus, it's the only transmission option on the new Acura NSX supercar.
youtube.com/watch?v=JSlPxMLDP-Q

>YFW Acura is finally relevant again for the first time since 2005.
youtube.com/watch?v=5aazEJEu_6c
youtube.com/watch?v=yI6oWTysy0E

goddamnit. It skipped one of the videos.
youtube.com/watch?v=6tNv-3vmllU

>BTW, DSG is a marketing term.
"No"

>yfw there are people who think DSG stands for Diesel Speedy Gearbox

I thought it was
>Does Speedy Gearshifts

No, and no.

>implying golf carts can't be fun

Fuck off Honda shill.

>MFW want a DSG
>VAG reliability tho
>$400 every 40k DSG service

That's one cent a mile.

Nigga one cent a mile is like nothing. Gas is already like 15 cents a mile.

You make a fair point. Too bad I also have to add in another $300 or so to get the walnut blast on the intake valve

>Fuck off Honda shill.
>yfw I'm actually a GM shill

Its a smart piece of tech that is advantageous in an economic, efficient, and logistical sense but is not what you are looking for when you want speed and fun.