Hey Veeky Forums. I really wanna supercharge my car...

Hey Veeky Forums. I really wanna supercharge my car, except I live in comi-fornia where supercharging would be very illegal.
Cops like to pull people over here just to look under your hood and see if you're all stock.
If they see a shiny intake or anything you get a fix it ticket and have to take your car into a "smog referee" to be thoroughly examined.

My question for you today is, do you think a cop would notice that my car is supercharged, even if I left everything else completely stock. It would look something like pic related. What do you think? Is it worth the risk?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sdhsQvxgnAs
youtube.com/watch?v=2bDlbSZoVAM
youtube.com/watch?v=LPWPvvQgej8
bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html
grannys.tripod.com/califlegalswap.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh and obviously I wouldn't put the big supercharged sticker on the engine cover.

Save the money and move somewhere that respects your individual rights and freedom to modify your own property.

Yeah. Fuck california.

they wont notice unless you decide to unnecessarily speed like every other jackass here.
i have an old 1978 without any emssion control, you will be fine.

What car, you would be surprised how many kits are CARB legal these days, and you would be perfectly legal even if the cop checks your hood

I would do this. I fucking hate California. Only problem is I work as a Grip, doing studio lighting and stage construction. So my job basically locks me to California..

Why is California so commie?

Atlanta has a booming film industry user. Come get some actual freedom.

No, fuck off, we're full.

We need whites to battle the evil dark army in the coming race war

just put a BIG plastic cover like on some lexus and tell them you need a screwdriver to take it of

No CARB legal kits available :^(

I actually know of people that have moved to Atlanta for work.. I have no connections out there though, and I'm pretty sure it's a different union.

Unions don't exist here. It's a right to work state.

>supercharging
>illegal

dumbest things i've heard in my life

>unions don't exist
Yes, they do, you just aren't required to join one to work for a particular location.

I know it's retarded as fuck.
I just don't want to spend 8 hours installing it and then tune it, only to have to revert it back to stock if I get caught,. So what do you think? Could I pass it off as stock?

Unions exist everywhere dude.

Ok let me rephrase that. Unions can't do much for you in Georgia. Can probably find you work, but can't do shit to help you keep it or make it better.

>Cops like to pull people over here just to look under your hood and see if you're all stock.
That is horseshit. Most cops don't know a valve cover from a muffler. But you will get smog checked every two years. Still better than the annual inspections those eastern fags suffer through.

What car is it?

Teamsters would like to have a word with you.

as far as I know It's not illegal, as long as it still passes smog, just supercharging it shouldn't' be enough to break that.

Isn't there a CARB approved system?

Make sure anything you buy has an EO number for it.

Because it isn't factory stock, the supercharger would have to be CARB approved, but that is not uncommon and lots of aftermarket parts are CARB approved. Check with the supercharger vendor.

it's true though I have a friend that sold his car because of it. He had an engine swap and then got pulled over for loud exhaust, got a smog referee ticket, and ended up selling it as a track car because he didn't want to revert it to stock.

No hate pls. It's a Civic Si. Same engine as my OP pic. Would be the same supercharger setup as well.

When you get a smog test it has to pass a visual inspection as well. I've already come to terms with the fact that I would have to revert it back to stock every 2 years to get it smogged and i'm okay with that.

Nope barely anything is carb legal for my car. Only a couple intakes.

>got pulled over for loud exhaust, got a smog referee ticket
So the cop didn't look under the hood, faggot.

Rent a place on the border and register the car in Nevada.

See if a CARB certified SC is available for your car like mine is. I have a big fucking sticker I could slap somewhere with some number that the faggots can use to identify that my tune is legal. Thankfully I live in back ass Louisiana.

He didn't need to in that situation, the exhaust was enough for him to issue the ticket. Why does it matter though? Still the same result in the end.

>Louisiana
Any smog checks or inspections there?

>Why does it matter though?
Because a supercharger is under the hood fucktard.

Tbh I would hate on you like 99% of Veeky Forums but I just watched a vid of a supercharged Si and it just werks on Honda VTEC engines nicely.

Dude stop worrying, people mod their shit all the time I highly doubt you wlll get into some shit where a cop demands to look under your hood unless you are drag racing with multiple cars and they all look "race-y" or some shit

Even if you were to just pulled over for speeding, anything that makes the cop think your car has been modified is probable cause for him to check under your hood. I just happened to use an example where he didn't need to.
If someone gets pulled over and has aftermarket wheels, or a lowered car, or stickers, these are all reasons why a cop would ask for you to open the hood.
Legally they don't even need probable cause. They could just look at you and ask you to pop it because you look young.

Holy fuck I'm glad I live in Florida

I'd like to have a word with them if they can make my job better

Go work for UPS then.

Let me rephrase this thread. If someone popped open their hood and it looked like this, would you believe them that it is stock.

>do you think a cop would notice that my car is supercharged, even if I left everything else completely stock. It would look something like pic related.

>Hm, that carbon fiber thing says "supercharged" on it. But surely this civilian would never...

No, because no civic is supercharged.

Teamsters being one of the only strong unions left. I am a member of the Machinist & Aerospace worker's union and it is definitely fucking useless. I work in a place where "you don't cause no trouble, won't be no trouble" sort've plays out. Funny thing is, my union representatives have ALWAYS been the folks causing trouble for me, and my supervisor always ends up protecting me from them.

My brother is a member of teamsters because he is a pilot for United Airlines (or a smaller company within it??). From what I understand, teamsters just fought for him to receive a massive pay increase, I think roughly $15-20/hr increase in pay.

Just emissions in some places in the south

But do you really think that cops know that? Or know what a supercharger looks like to begin with?

I've done water damage restoration and mold remediation for 15 years. I'm not driving a truck for less than half of what I make.

I believe removing cats is illegal here. We have this really shitty inspection program where you pull up to some shed run by some old fuck and he gets in your car, starts it, drives it forward a few feet, then charges you 20 dollars for a year sticker. Basically, as long as there are no glaring issues, you're fine. I haven't been for an inspection since supercharging my vehicle, but I still have both cats, and it basically functions like stock. I shouldn't have any issues in march.

Not all cops are completely retarded.

So you make more than $75 an hour?

The purpose of the safety inspection is to ensure that your vehicle is not a safety hazard to yourself or other drivers. Commonly inspected parts include:
Brakes and brake lights.
Wheels and tires.
Windshield and windows (i.e. cracks and holes that may impair driving).
Seat belts.
Horn.
Headlights and turn lights.
Exhaust system (must not be noisy or smoke excessively).
Steering mechanisms.

That appears to be the criteria. In a 5 parishes they have inspections for emissions

Nah nigga Vegas is better

Huge smog issues out there. So emissions is a big deal. You can boost your car op.
The way you do it is buy a car that comes factory with a supercharger and modify it.

If you bought a 99 cobra and put a kb supercharger on it. Swap the front and rear bumper to terminator bumpers and replace the spoiler you could get away with it probably

Wat, i live in California too and the cops dont check under anyones hood unless youre driving a modded looking car going to Hot Import Nights.
Im around SF if that makes any difference, dont know how it is in SoCal.

Also hook it up with a job bruh, im getting tired of construction

This

So cal fag here. I've been driving fast and loud v8s for the past four years and I've been stopped numerous times. Never had a cop look under the hood. If you're car is more ricer they may look though. My brother in law had a fix it for something minor and when he went to get it signed off the cop made him pop his hood. He had some "illegal" modifications but he fought it in court and won since the cop had no reason to look. If you're worried about them looking don't do it. I plan to supercharge my c5 next year but there's a company here in ca that does "carb legal" kits.

I've decided I'm gonna do it. Just gonna put the cat-back exhaust back to stock and hopefully they won't ever ask to look under the hood. It'll be a sleeper. Worst case scenario is I just have to put it back to stock for a bit.

Cool. Once you illegally mod it in ca you have to commit. And yeah I highly doubt they will know what they are looking for anyways. As long as it doesn't say SUPERCHARGED as soon as you open the hood.

hang on what if you live outside of california
like you had your car registered in Montana and the cops pull you over
can they still cuck you?

You can get away with it once or twice but I wouldn't go that route as having outta state plates are always known as bait plates.

I'm surprised Hellcats can be owned in that state.

The only time they pop hoods is when they raid the street races. They have CHP that are trained to figure out if you're stock or not.

what do you mean by bait plates?
can they ticket you or something? i don't see how the cops can fuck you over

rofl you can't mod your car in commiefornia? What if I mod my car where I live then drive to commie land? Will I get hit with some super bullshit?

I make $35/hour driving package car for UPS

99% of the bitching about commiefornia is just flyover fags trying to make themselves feel better

the other 1% is true tho

Shit sucks OP, i live in australia where it's even worse.

Listen to this.

You are not allowed to do an engine swap if the displacement is more than 3x with forced induction. Sounds confusing right? Well here's the tl:dr

>Car weighs 1400kg
>You are only allowed to put an engine in that is 1400x3=CC's

So basically, in a 1400kg car you can't put in a engine bigger than 4.2L

Because if you did that, the power would be too much!

Except naturally it's FUCKING RETARDED AS SHIT as it's not measuring torque or HP at all, just displacement.

So you get cunts running around with 1000hp 2l turbo motors and that's legal, but you can't put a nice v8 in anything lightweight at all, even if it's low powered and chill.

Logical, right?

This is partially true, not every aussie state is this cucked...just all the ones with jobs that are worth living in.

It's more accurate to say you can't ever have a turbo v8 legally, no matter what, unless your chassis weighs like fucking 1800kg and thus is no fun.

With a NA engine you're ok though, even if it's heavily cammed and putting out more power lel

I agree though, it is beyond fucking retarded they're running on displacement and not actual numbers. Pure fucking stupidity around here, anyone wanting to mod their car is treated as badly as a pedophile.

We even have horrendous media smear campaigns against us car lovers as if we're baby killers. They pick a few dickheads and paint us all with the same brush. And stretch the truth a fuckton.

youtube.com/watch?v=sdhsQvxgnAs
youtube.com/watch?v=2bDlbSZoVAM
youtube.com/watch?v=LPWPvvQgej8

>supercharging would be very illegal. Cops like to pull people over here just to look under your hood and see if you're all stock.
I'd rather kill myself than live in that shithole. Here's hoping San Andreas pushes that dump into the ocean. You need to move out OP

All stock here officer. nothing to see

That's plainly not true. A Modification Plate code LA-3 for a factory eight cylinder vehicle with an aftermarket turbocharger or supercharger will suffice.

Any increase in power over 30% of the factory rating also requires a Modification Plate, I think LA-2?

If the vehicle did not have an eight cylinder engine originally, it will be more difficult to achieve compliance with a turbocharged eight cylinder.

$150 and the dirty Roots blower on my Trans Am was plated. Another $150 when I went turbocharged. Just don't think you will be able to plate an old screamin' six Valiant with a turbo LS3.

You sound like a queenslander. What he's saying is true for victoria.

They need engineer certification and the engineers are told to deny anyone not meeting those displacement guidelines.

If they do, they can lose their license.

Also,
>If the vehicle did not have an eight cylinder engine originally, it will be more difficult to achieve compliance with a turbocharged eight cylinder.

That's what he was talking about, engine swaps. If the car comes with a 4cyl, you will NEVER get engineer approval in vic.

Dude...what you're describing is fucking cucked as shit.

You can't turbo a v8 valiant no matter what? Even if it is done properly?

That's fucking retarded as shit. Please tell me this cuckery only applies to public roads, not the racetrack as well?

Man, fuck Vic.

Though I think soon it will become a national issue, with the NCOP being enforced strongly.

You can turbocharge a factory eight cylinder with code LA-3. You would not be able to remove a six cylinder engine from a Valiant, replace it with a turbocharged eight and have it complianced irregardless of state.

Original poster here, i was referring to engine swaps, not slapping a turbo on a car coming with a v8.

The displacement rules apply i believe 5x for naturally aspirated (which is fine) and 3x for turbocharged which makes it impossible to legally put a turbo LS in a silvia...or any other v8 for that matter.

The engineers are told not to fucking sign off on it or they get punished, even when they fucking know it's done safely with the appropriate bracing to the chassis and brake upgrades for increased power.

It's just so fucking god damn retarded. Wanna have fun engine swapping? No, you want a red tape nightmare.

But it's fucking ok to throw a turbo on a v6 and make triple the power and put yourself into a wall, don't need engineer approval for that!

Remember the v8, twin turbo stagea featured on MCM?

They originally wanted to use the 4.5l version of that engine but could not because of the bullshit laws. They had to do the 4.1l i believe.

>You would not be able to remove a six cylinder engine from a Valiant, replace it with a turbocharged eight and have it complianced irregardless of state.

My god and i thought california was bad.

So basically the number of big scary ASSAULT CYLINDERS make it more dangerous, not it's actual power or torque figures?

I feel really bad for you aussies now.

It's ludicrous, isn't it? I had to jump through some hoops to get mine where I wanted it to be with 5 litres displacement.

Yet I was advised that I would have had no issue with a 6.8L naturally aspirated combo with the potential to destroy the blower combo I built.

Bureaucracy gonna bureauc.

Yes, many things here are decided by the amount of cylinders/rotors. For example, the little Suzuki Jimny my wife drives around is very cheap to register as it falls under the 'less than five seats, less than five doors' classification. My Landcruiser is more expensive to register, even though it too falls under the 'less than five seats, less than five doors' and to boot, it's a commercial vehicle. But because it's a V8, it is almost $1200 a year to register without comprehensive insurance versus the $336.40 the missus' car costs.

yea, fucking insane mate

i don't even mind paying, it's the god damn inability to enjoy the one thing i love, cars.

there are no tracks near me and my dream car is not road legal despite being very fucking tame on power (it's more for driving feel) and properly engineered to the highest degree.

they just can't grant me a certificate. they WANT to, but they can't.

it's fucked.

It is fucked hey. At least my engineer did a swept volume test and documented it's measured swept volume. The joy of a SBC.... 355 looks just like the iron head 305 that was tested......

Reminds me of the most sour experience I had with TMR. I was pulled over and issued five defects, one of which was for the exhaust being too low which I accepted as fact. It was way too low.

Amongst the other bullshit defects, the pearler was the 'Interfering with Pollution Control System' I received for the capped-off vacuum lines that ran to vacuum pop up headlights. The dealer replaced them in 1984, before the car was imported.

But that's TMR's motto I think; don't let the facts get in the way of a good defect notice.

Kek noob we're obd only

If it's only 8 hours each way to go back to stock, why not just do it and spend a Saturday evening putting it back to stock each time you get caught, then put it back on a week later? Each time you do the job you will get faster at it and each time is an opportunity to tidy up any brackets or piping you've had to make

Make sure your car will pass OBD2 without trickery, don't use a loud exhaust, and make it look as OEM as possible. Don't remove the cats or anything stupid like that.

As long as you don't drive at retarded speeds and make yourself a target for law enforcement no one is going to fuck your day up.

The land cruiser is 4 times the weight so it should cost more to rego m8

>except I live in comi-fornia
So, move out of California?

if you have a civic si the kraftwerks kit is carb legal...

oh, and it produces way more power and is pretty much better in every way.

So question to Americans, I always here about how California is a communist shit hole, no guns, no car modification, nanny state, non whites everywhere, so why would you neuter yourself by living in that state? You guys have like 49 others to choose from.

As bad as California is, it's pretty great. You definitely pay the premium living here, but there's ways to get around its restrictions (not giving a fuck). Beach, mountains, desert and more all within driving range. Really mostly anything you want to do, you can. Being culturally diverse isn't that all bad. Any food you want someone knows two bomb places. Weathers pretty good all year.

California is akin to Texas, Florida, and New York in my eyes, it's fine to visit but I wouldn't really ever want to live there.

>Still better than the annual inspections those eastern fags suffer through.
Lol Florida here. No inspections. I run catless turbo rotary and the cops dont care.

>sure officer that's a BRZ corvette you never heard of it ? it's pretty common my mom has one too

Funnily enough that's legal in California so long as you have the proper(stock) exhaust and intake setup as in the original car.

>Things that dont happen for $500
The cops only look at you if you drive a shit heap or its louder than it should be.
Wort case scenario you have to remove it for smog everytime.
>TFW cant engine swap unless that car was sold with it as an option.

No.. Not even close...

>Good climate
>Snow
>Beaches
>Forest
>Desert
The only shit hole places are the citys that dont want you to have "a salt weapons"/modded cars.

It is though, engine swaps are legal if you retain the stock emissions control and keep the engine stock. There's other shit you have to follow but you can do it if you aren't a lazy fuck.
bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

No you can't fuck nuts. It has to be an option for that vehicle.

Except it doesn't
grannys.tripod.com/califlegalswap.html

Wait....you are telling me that a car as popular as a civic si doesn't have a carb legal sc? Jackson, vortech...no one?

What year civic si? Because I just Googled "carb legal supercharger civic si" and got a few hits.

9th gen. 2012

If rego followed the GVM then I wouldn't mind so much. But a four cylinder BJ73 with the same GVM costs 613.80, where my VDJ79 with the same GVM is $1188.

Assault cylinders man, the gubbermint is afraid of them.