Is Psychopathy real?

Is Psychopathy real?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=psoq8qYvx18
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

uh yes? it's a mental condition that's been observed and studied

Yes, I´m not sure how anyone can doubt its existence.

Lad, no, no it is not.

Maybe because noone ever truly been in the mind of the psychopath. Sure, they have mental problems, but that's all you really can tell. You can observe it externally, but can't really tell where the individ stands in this situation. For him, the problem might as well be completely out of his control, personality and ego. I believe it is often for them to state how no one will understand them or something along those lines. Have you ever felt desperately in need of the emphathy of others?

>Maybe because noone ever truly been in the mind of the psychopath
by this standard of proof we can't know for sure the details of any mental disorder. how can you know schizophrenics hear voices when you haven't heard the voices yourself?

The same way people doubt the scientific validity of both psychiatry and psychology as disciplines.

>we can't know for sure the details of any mental disorder
That's right, we literally cannot. Might be why so many disorders are described with broad brushes.

ITT OP is a cant no nuffin faggot

Maybe "trying to look towards psychopaths a bit more empathic" was more close to what I meant. I noticed that in the modern society nobody would even dare to do such a thing, mainly because of atrocities the psychopaths oftenly commit, and fairly so, ofcourse. But I think empathy would really help with the how's and why's of some mental ilnesses, and maybe could even help sucsessfully treating them.

PROTIP: Not all Psychopaths are 'evil'

t. Psychopath.
I come bundled with friends.

Well the general idea is that psychopaths don't want and are unable to appreciate empathy.

Are you self-diagnosed?

[spoiler]No[/spoiler]

psychopaths don't want to have empathy. they don't see it as a problem. in order to treat them you'd have to find some way to coerce them. also why should I force myself to have empathy on a group that I don't? empathy is a purely emotional reaction that I simply don't have towards this group. also empathy is exactly what sociopaths want: it makes us easier for them to manipulate. don't tell the sheep to show empathy to the wolf

The thing about psychopaths/sociopaths/people with APD, is that they don't lack control of themselves, barring the presence of additional mental conditions. They have control and they know exactly what they're doing.

Most psychopaths do not lack the empathy of others, although that empathy is pretty much always directed at the personality they've constructed in order to interact with people around them. Along the same lines, most psychopaths won't necessarily want someone empathizing with their actual, unfiltered self, because it subverts the public mask they've put so much work into maintaining. Further, you'd almost certainly find that the vast majority of them don't want treatment (because really, it's an advantage, not a hindrance), and that if you want to try treating them without their consent, you then have an angry psychopath.

t. Psychopath

The problem with this as exposed in this thread (while I do feel I have psychopathic tendencies) you cannot verify this. I went to a psychiatrist due to suicidal problems and we talking about the voices and what not and she said and put on my diagnosis that I am some-what psychopathic, I cannot remember the exact term as it was a while a go. But I mean it's a simple checklist (like it is which depression also). Essentially you could lie and get a diagnosis very easily, but why would you? Doing that is a problem in itself.

Kind of makes things easier when you understand your brain is a little broken and you can control the insanity as you can now properly identify it.

>(((studied)))

What a charming story. I wonder what percentage of the population is some-what psychopathic?

The way the medical system is set up, everyone. They want you to buy drugs.

Stay out of the mental health system, what ever you do. Unless you want some dank drugs and to be a zombie for a few months/years.

Considering the criteria....prolly a lot

>some-what psychopathic?
Never met a single person that didn't check something off the list.

there are problems with pharmaceutical companies, but what you've said is a huge exaggeration

the estimate I've heard is 1 in 25

>t.Scientologist

Not at all. If you think there are any 'good' business out there, you are incredibly naive.

Sure the Doctors and Secretaries and everyone who works in the practice """""might""""" care, but there is a reason why it usually costs upwards of hundreds of dollars to talk to someone for 30 minutes.

There is a reason why a pill, which costs literally cents to manufacture is resold at 10000% cost.

And no, it's not because they care.

Psychopaths are evil because psychopathy is only an advantage when they are a minority and have the ability to take advantage of people who aren't soulless sacks of shit.
Have a society of psychopaths and it would quickly fall apart.
Psychopaths are parasites.

>Psychopaths are parasites.
By that logic you normal peoples are parasites on us mentally unstables.

Mentally unstable peoples are the ones who usually have ideas that change the world.

(einstein was an autist)

You are all parasites on the mentally unstable.

Have a society of normal people and it will go nowhere.

How is psychopathy an advantage?

You're the dumbass from the other thread who thinks we should round up all the psychopaths and ship them to their own little country- as if that will fix society forever for everybody else- aren't you?

Normal to whom?

Psychopathic to whom?

Dr. Shekelberg

Almost no emotional restriction on behavior, coupled with the ability to blend near-perfectly with society, and an understanding of how to manipulate people which stems from having to artificially construct and maintain that camouflage.

Sounds lonely. How is that an advantage?

this an inherent problem in any business. there is pressure from the government regulation, studies that have to go up against a placebo, patients who could potentially sue or spread by word of mouth that a drug doesn't work, news organizations hoping to find a scandal. pharmaceutical companies want to get results. a drug that works will make more money than one that only works as well as a placebo. the problem is that they are lazy and when they see some results from a compound they will rush it out to market as fast as possible. the high costs you've sighted are primarily an issue in the U.S. other western countries, especially those with universal health care. of course there is a problem, but you can't simplify it to "we shouldn't take pills made by pharmaceutical companies at all"

You miss the point bullah, on a day to day basis you are interacting with psychopaths, you cannot know. We hide very well, we are very aware of our actions.

The ones that fall to their nature and actually act on their psychopathic nature are the weak ones, and the few. Most you will never know except for inklings every now and again.

>"we shouldn't take pills made by pharmaceutical companies at all"
I didn't know staying out of the mental health system equated to not taking any pills, at all.

Watch your projection, idiot.

What is the point?

*other western countries, especially those with universal health care don't have this problem

The point is you think all psychopaths are 'evil', it's wrong. Almost all are in control of themselves, the ones who act on their nature are not in control, sadly.

That's the point. You do not know when you are interacting with a psychopath, although they know when they are interacting with someone normal.

So you cannot say what you are saying, you are ignorant on the subject.

alright, then you can't simplify it to "we should stay out of the mental health system altogether"

You tend to be able to get things done, and achieve your goals, much more effectively. Loneliness isn't all that much of an issue.

I wasn't the guy he was asking, just interjecting to provide an answer. I'm

>the high costs you've sighted are primarily an issue in the U.S. other western countries, especially those with universal health care.

I am Australian. I am meant to give my drugs that I do not take back to the practice because the drugs are so fucking expensive third world countries cannot afford them and the unused drugs are donated to places like Philippines. And the only reason why the drugs are cheaper is because I am on welfare benefits, as is required to get a health care card. Otherwise the drugs are full price.

If it was a business built around care of the patient this would not be the case, you are also probably aware of the guy who recently patented something to do with AIDS vaccine so Africans can't afford it.

Are psychopathic goals even worth achieving?

Ye, yes I can.

Psychopaths also tend toward the nihilistic end of the philosophy spectrum, so they don't tend to care.

>If it was a business built around care of the patient this would not be the case
you mean like the doctors who you stated might not care? no matter what you are always going to have this problem. everyone to some extent is out for the money

Dumbest thing I've read all day, how can you claim validity to anything? People attempt to make order out of chaos you dunce

Right but the question is how is this an advantage?

Someone with autism might be very effective in organizing their DVD collection and able to accomplish it very quickly but do they gain any sort of advantage in doing so? In fact, being preoccupied with trivial goals is actually a disadvantage.

I truly don't believe you on the loneliness factor, humans are social beings by nature. I'm sure you too have longed for some lover and not just living a robotic life of gaining materials.

This board is absolute fucking trash

How is anything an advantage, then? How is building a fiscal empire any different than building a family? The answer to that seems obvious to you, but a special distinction between the two kinds of fulfillment is severely weakened, if not nonexistent for a psychopath.

>humans are social beings by nature

Psychopaths are antisocial by nature. The DSM describes it literally as Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Mentally, psychopaths are fairly inhuman.

Well no, Psychopaths are literal humans. The definition of human doesn't include them, therein lies the problem with our language.

when ever you got the time I would strongly recommend you watch this video, I think its a good example of someone who once classified as unsympathetic and certainly was a points in his life. However if you watch the whole video you see many moments where he breaks down and shares many of the feelings and emotions he felt to people he thought he never cared about.
youtube.com/watch?v=psoq8qYvx18

I have been legitamately and properly diagnosed by more than one psychiatrist as having antisocial personality disorder. I can't very well state with any certainty how different my inner experience is from "normal" people. I can tell you, that from what I know of myself and how I behave, feel, and interact with others, and what I've observed of how others behave and interact with others and their reactions to things, I am and have always been different.

For instance, I can observe that others feel fear about dangerous situations and potential consequences. I am flat and have no emotional repsonse to danger or consequence. I can logically know if I do x thing, then y is a likely outcome. I'm just simply indifferent and undeterred, if x is something I want to do or I think it will benefit me.

Empathy. I know what it is, I've heard it described and talked about plenty of times in my life. I've seen empathetic displays of emotion and behavior all throughout my life. I know it's definition and it's purpose in humanity, but I don't know it's feeling. I can try to put myself in another's shoes mentally, I can imagine sensory input they might experience to a degree, but it never carries through to imagining the emotional impact or mental feelings they may be experiencing. If that makes sense.

In short, yes, I do believe it's real.

An advantage brings you closer to immortality and replicating your genetic information via offspring accomplishes this moreso than building a business empire which will inevitably belong to someone else.

I am also glad to see you refer to a psychopathic brain as suffering from a weakness.

That's why I said mentally inhuman. Physically, of course they're human, but the psychology is fairly alien.

I've watched this one before, yes. I also don't think he's a psychopath, or at the very least, he's on the lower end of the scale. Or, you know, he's simulating guilt for the sake of sympathy and television time.

That's a very limited, and I would argue, invalid definition of immortality.

In my mind, life constitutes the continuation of the self, not the genetics. There's not really a sliding scale, there. Sure, the bigger a social legacy you leave, the longer you're remembered, but that doesn't mean anything to your corpse.

>That's why I said mentally inhuman. Physically, of course they're human, but the psychology is fairly alien.

Evidently not though, as they are literal human beings. Mental and physical aspects are inseparable, they create a whole.

well this goes in circles then because when I watched it, I legitimately sensed guilt in his action for those he hurt (not necessarily those he killed but family members) and by that case he isn't Anti-social more just paranoid and has moments where he blocks empathy. If its a con whats the real advantage anyways? its not giving him a shorter sentence.

Ok if there is any hope for the self existing after death it requires somekind of spirituality. Therefore it is more advantageous to devote yourself to spiritual things than material things because it increases the likelihood of the self persisting after death.

Psychopathy is mainly characterized by fearlessness and the absence of the ability to feel anxiety.

I mean, not every psychopath in society is a evil serial killer or whatnot, it's much more likely that they are people who do risky jobs, or have dangerous hobbies.

Like, a lot of police officers, or military, probably fit the bill of someone with psychopathy, but because they have been raised and socialized well, their psychopathy doesn't manifest in to anti-social behaviors such as murder or violence in general.

Okay, if you're going to be this anal about it, yes, a mental difference between a human and psychopath actually does constitute a minute physical difference.

If you compare two brain scans- one from a normal person, one from a psychopath- there is a notable difference, if you know what to look for, notably in the areas of the brain concerning emotional processing and social interaction. These differences result in a psychopathic person having a worldly outlook and set of priorities that are inconsistent with their "normal" human counterparts.

Hence

>I also don't think he's a psychopath, or at the very least, he's on the lower end of the scale

>Ok if there is any hope for the self existing after death it requires somekind of spirituality.

Why?

Because the body dies at death obviously.

Mhm, they are both still human. The definition of what it means to be human created by humans is obvious wrong.

>being so egotistical you have to be correct, when you are explicitly wrong.

All humans have small, minor differences in their brain and chemical make-up, they are still humans.

then why would you bring up
>Or, you know, he's simulating guilt for the sake of sympathy and television time.
I don't even know what you are arguing about psychopaths at this point. That they are different beings or some crap?

Brought that up on the chance that he actually was a psychopath. I could see someone who's been in jail for years wanting to shake things up a little by getting interviewed and being on TV- prison seems boring.

I think, just maybe, both of us have gone too far into semantics, but in totally opposite directions.

So, then, does the mind, unless the Machine is successful. Believing in spiritual things doesn't increase the odds of having a soul, or that soul being immortal.

do you never feel dependent on others or a notion that you owe somebody something whether for friendship or settling debt?

The mind, is not, the spirit and no believing does not increase the odds that it exists but if it does exist believing does increase the odds that the afterdeath will have life and not more death.

>more death

Hwat

Second death.

>being empathetic to a person that doesn't understand empathy
Why tho

For empathy's sake.

What does that change?

Afterlife to second death.

The spiritual belief systems which associate the death of the soul with lack of faith are few and far between

So, it's just for the sake of ego-stroking?

Those are the ones you have to prepare for because if they're wrong your soul lives anyway but if they're right and you didn't prepare then you die the second death.

>I think, just maybe, both of us have gone too far into semantics, but in totally opposite directions.
That is literally my point. Semantics are broken, you can make them mean whatever you want to the point where you can prove a human being is not a human being.

How does that compute? Again, Psychopaths are human beings, we were born from human parents, the definition what it means to be human does not encompass us.

That's all. We still human yo'.

no

Okay, human, sure. Yes. I agree. One point for you. Gold star sticker.

This doesn't mean you can apply the blanket definition used here , saying that human beings are social by nature, and use it to assume that a psychopath must also require the same social fulfillment a normal human needs to be content.

How? Doesn't do anything for the psychopath, except maybe irritate them.

It serves purely to fulfill the empathetic desires of the person trying to "connect" with psychopaths.

I am not him, simply saying yours and his, definitions for humans are wrong and evidently do not include these anti-social humans which do exist.

>Gold star sticker.
Fanks, you should use images for that.

Oh, sweet, saved.

I usually use this one, when people are memeing a little too hard..

So you are telling me that a true defined psychopath in this day and age is totally cut off from human contact and are in no way social, economicly and politically influenced from the outside world? Do these statistically thousands of self-efficact and sustaining individuals live out on the woods by themselves?

Not saying that they do, saying that it wouldn't be a particular drag on their mental well-being.

egocentrism

it sets an example for others too

>about the voices and what not and she said and put on my diagnosis that I am some-what psychopathic

That's "PSYCHOTIC" not "PSYCHOPATH" you fucking idiot, "psychopathy" has long since been absorbed into the dump-category of a persistent personality disorder like BPD, where people are incapable of not being massive assholes to everyone else without therapy. Psychoses is the tendency to experience a psychotic state where you hear voices, see things that arent there, etc, and has nothing to do with your personality or interpersonal relations. Please read a book. And not a god damn Hannibal Lecter book either you memelord. This board is a disgrace.

So that they can feel better about themselves too?

>user mis-remembered word and thinks he is psychopath

empathy is necessary for social cohesion so it is helpful for members of a society to model it

It's even sadder considering blunted affect and distorted mental/emotional object representation ARE actually symptoms of schizophrenia, which a particularly low g shitposter could easily misinterpret as signs of being The Joker IRL

>tldr take your pimozide kids

Just seems a bit counter to the cohesion of a society to empathize with a demographic incapable and unwilling to reciprocate, while fully able and willing to exploit said empathy.

Sorry Anons, I didn't realize you knew more than practiced professionals inside the psychiatric field. Note psychiatric, not psychology.

But please, tell me how you know so much. And how you didn't just latch onto one small part of a not even fully explained post.

Surely one can't be Psychopathic and psychotic, surely. Surely you guys know my full story more so than an actual professional who I expressed it to.

Go on, explain more how they are wrong and you guys are right, I am waiting.