Rat Temple

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata_Temple

Anyone able to explain what the fuck went wrong with Hinduism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagannath
old.prabhupadavani.org/main/Conversations/066.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Vedic_religion
quora.com/Are-there-any-violent-verses-in-Vedas
truthabouthinduism.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/killing-infidels-in-vedas/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasa
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The worshiped "lucky" white rat

Meanwhile thousands of Indian kids starve to death each day

lol religion

Read the Vedas and the Upanishads
>Wow this religion sounds awesome and profound
Reality: poo, rats, floating corpses
>Ugh

I just find it so antithetical to human propserity and happiness.

If you took all the money spent on religion and distributed it equally to everyone, it would have a negligible effect on even the poorest person's life. Maybe a few days wages at best.

But religion can offer a great deal of comfort and satisfaction to a believer, even one who suffers in poverty.

Hinduism is one of the least dogmatic religions in the world, so it can literally go anywhere, even something as retarded as this.

>what the fuck went wrong
This board is more trash than a canal in New Delhi

really makes you think

Cute ratters desu

Hindus and humans are two different things.

Yes, and? the kids couldn't afford the food. The temple could. It's that simple.

This

T. atheist

>But religion can offer a great deal of comfort and satisfaction to a believer, even one who suffers in poverty.
So just take all the money spent on religion and spend it on free drugs for the poor. All the comfort and satisfaction they need.

I'll let you think about how retarded what you said was on your own.

ever consider maybe humans and human good isn't that important?

its hardly as if there aren't charitable temples, but Hinduism is a lot like European pagan faiths where "Abrahamic" ideas are not terribly important.

>utilitarian slave mentality
oh boy

I wouldn't mind seeing some numbers to back up this claim

Dravidian juju shit getting mixed in.

The original proto-Hinduistic Aryans were a proud people with a based warrior religion. Their god told them to crush the castles of the blacks, get high on soma and encouraged people to become Uebermensch. Then, however, the Aryans mixed with Dravidians and the Aryans' beliefs were influenced by their pathetic worldviews full of fatalistic slave morality (karma) and deranged Asiatic wickedness.

why is Nietzsche so spooky?

why is caring for living things and seeing the sacred in animals retarded

how is aryan religion any different?

the "blacks" were demons,not people. Aryan religion is centred on seers, not warriors. The vedas dont say fight, they say perform the sacrifices so indra and the sages can fight the spiritual forces of darkness.

>warrior religion

Why do greasy white people on the Internet insist on telling us what we believe?

I think his point is that it isn't what you believe.

Because these particular animals carry a lot of diseases

Yeah all the meme bait phrases in OPs show who the /v/ trash are

you wish your people still had a warrior religion you beta spook

>get high on soma
drugs are degenerate desu

That's the SJW/Hindu-nationalistic interpretation. It's got nothing to do with reality.

t. snownigger

I will deconstruct your post son. Some time today. Stay tuned.

its not even an interpretation, its literally what the vedas say. Its mythology about war between gods and demons, light and darkness. It clearly describes mythological, supernatural beings, not humans. It's your interpretation thats not reality, a colonial 19th century interpretation thats very peculiar and self serving. Its the equivalent of taking greek mythology or any other mythology and speculating about how its literally about some ancient conflict between humans

As if there aren't loads of bizarre Abrahamic cults?

>muh colonialism
The magic card that trumps all.

Hinduism at its core is the concept of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva and thier various aspect, representing the ultimate reality of the universe, Brahman.

Most of other practices/gods in India are just local indigenous animist practices that are just considered part of Hinduism. Just as Hinduism in Bali incorporated local beliefs.

Being poor and have zero hygiene care.

Your conception of hinduism is the ancient Vedism, in reality hinduism is an amalgam of folk beliefs and deities culturally unified after thousands of years. Today we see India as one country and one people, but thats the equivalent of classifying Europe as one people and country unified by Christianity. Hindus can vary from Vaishnavites, Shaivites, Bhakti followers, vedic scholars, to simply being superstitious about their local traditions, to being completely separated such as Buddhists, Jains, and Sikhs. One peculiar tradition at a temple doesn't resemble the course of the religion as a whole, but at the same time, it is still ""Hindu"".

>muh colonialism
>implying british attempts at poking with hinduism weren't cancer.

Any anons recommend books on hinduism that dont try to convert me? Like a historical analysis?

most books on hinduism don't try to convert you.
I personally prefer vivekananda's biography.

you seem a bit spooked

This are my thoughts exactly. One Buddhist scholar once said, "it doesn't matter what is the official religion of India, as long as the Brahmin are the priests" (that is, have the monopoly over it). Hinduism is developing and all-inclusive religion. You have to imagine an amoeba that envelops, engolfs and digests everything around it, instead of trying to suppress it.

You people like Rama from the epic Ramayana? Well that's because he's actually Vishnu.

You people worship this guy Krishna from that other epic Mahabharata? W-well, Krishna is Vishnu too!

Oh you other folks claim to follow the Buddha? The Buddha is actually Vishnu! Check-mate Buddhists XD

Oh you people worship these cute little black dolls? That's Vishnu too!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagannath

Oh you people worship forest spirits/rats/are downright atheists? No problem, you get to participate too!

(Me)
They tried to pull that same tactic off with Jesus too. Christ? Krishna, Krist... Uh? Uh Therefore Jesus = Vishnu.

old.prabhupadavani.org/main/Conversations/066.html

Nothing. What's wrong with having pets, is it just because they're rats?

Like?

Do you keep a rabid dog as a pet and worship it while kids starve to death on your front porch?

>one temple worships rats
>therefore hinduism is corrupt to the core and hyperboles will prove it.
What do you think about the temple that gives alcohol as blessings?
>brahmins have monopoly over it
>what is the bhakti tradition?

>while kids starve to death on your front porch
No, I shoot them first for invading my property and violating the NAP

>>one temple worships rats
One major temple visited by hundreds of thousands of worshippers.
>>therefore hinduism is corrupt to the core and hyperboles will prove it.
Where was this claimed?

Pic related

You didn't like my meme, user-kun?

Rats are actually pretty smart.

The temple has a unique cultural history. People visit to respect tradition of their ancestors. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Also
> implying indian temples don't help starving children.

Memes are for other threads. Just because I used a meme question to start the thread doesn't mean I'm fishing for (You).

>Theres nothing wrong with that.

>harboring and feeding tens of thousands of disease bearing rodents is perfectly fine

>leeching off the people by asking for donations for said rodents is fine

>Do that
>Poor people eat drugs
>Drugs fuck up their life
>Go to rehab
>12 steps later, back to believing in a higher power
>This time worship levels are cranked up to addict mode
Your plan had the opposite effect.

>hundreds of thousands
irrelevant.
Temples by and large help their local communities simply by existing, not to mention the trusts that actually run these temples also act as charitable institutions for the needy.

>Where was this claimed?

>what the fuck went wrong with Hinduism?

stumble into the wrong thread there?

I've said this before. The theology laid out in the Vishnu Purana is on par with the best moments of Plato, Aristotle, the Church Fathers and the Scholastics.

>Who can describe him who is not to be apprehended by the senses: who is the best of all things; the supreme soul, self-existent: who is devoid of all the distinguishing characteristics of complexion, caste, or the like; and is exempt front birth, vicissitude, death, or decay: who is always, and alone: who exists every where, and in whom all things here exist; and who is thence named Vásudeva?

I have no idea what that has to do with worshipping rats though...

t. Deist

(Me)
>I have no idea what that has to do with worshipping rats though...
Perhaps from this passage?
>who exists every where, and in whom all things here exist;
But notice the similarity:
>For in him we live and move and have our being.' Acts 17:28
It does not follow that we're supposed to worship rats.

[citation needed]

Where was this claimed
>>therefore hinduism is corrupt to the core and hyperboles will prove it.

I asked where hinduism went wrong to allow such idiocy, not that the whole religion is corrupt to the core.

I could ask the same thing about when Protestants started allowing gay priests.

Cont*

I could ask the same thing about certain Protestants in that it seems absurd that these groups are still considered as mainstream even though they obviously are either Crazy or Breaking Scripture.

Hinduism just allows a lot more crazy shit it seems. I just think someone should have asked themself "hey worshipping rats and feeding and housing thousands of them might not be that intelligent or righteous".

I'm asking when people started thinking this was okay.

>5 hours later

>Le false allegory maymay.
No I let the rabid dog put them out of their misery.

Capucin monks believed that the body was an empty vessel, and built ornaments with the corpses of the deceased.

The problem with your question is it assumes there is a discrete and linearly traceable genealogy to the development of religions. Hint, there is none -- literally the only good thing Deleuze argued. Traditions are always being reinvented, rather than passed down, hence why it is desirable to extricate their philosophy and determine their veracity yourself when discussing their practicality.

Man it really sucks that everyone is forced to do all this against their will

..wait, no you're just retarded and are nitpicky with how other people let other people starve. It isn't like how -you- let them starve. -you're- a good person, you do it from your computer screen without rats like all good people do.

"Pagan" religions allow plenty of freedom of dogma, m8.

The brahmins can monopolize the interpretation of the scriptures, the transmission of the Upanishads and the philosophical currents all they want, but they cannot control every single instance of folklore or religious cultural practice of the populations of an entire subcontinent, in the world's oldest religion.

Now this temple with the rats is dedicated to the goddess Durga, or rather, to an incarnation of her: Karni Mata.

Sighting a white rat is considered a blessing for a visitor.

What a shit fest of a thread

You are dense

Rats are disease carriers that are undomesticated and can bite. Perfect analogy.

Not an argument.

Not an argument.

So we can't answer my question?

>world's oldest religion

Bait

(You)

It's not a rat temple where they worship the rats like your Jew sponsored media led you to believe. It's a temple that has been a home to rats. Hindus, Buddhists and Jains are compassionate towards all sentient beings so they detach their irrational fear towards animals and accept reality as it is.

>I'm asking when people started thinking this was okay.

Your real question should be when did Hindus not think this was okay. Shit like this has happened all the time in hindu faith anywhere you go in India, since they were banging rocks and burning widows.

Before anything, scholars differentiate between Hinduism and the Historical Vedic Religion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Vedic_religion

Hinduism is hodgepodge and, among other things, preaches non-violence and vegetarianism and has Krishna/Vishnu as one of the main deities.

The religion of the Vedas, on the other hand, was

Warlike

Intolerant of non believers

truthabouthinduism.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/killing-infidels-in-vedas/

Practiced animal sacrifice

Furthermore, Vishnu is a minor deity in the Vedas and Krishna's name is not cited even once.

Part 2

Now to deconstruct the post I quoted.

>the "blacks" were demons,not people.
Can't be proven either way, but the evidence is in favor of an anthropological interpretation. The word Dasa can mean three things savage/barbarian, demons or slave/servant. Two of these meanings are anthropological and one spiritual.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasa

>Around us is the Dasyu, riteless, void of sense, inhuman, keeping alien laws.
Baffle, thou Slayer of the foe, the weapon which this Dasa wields.

"Riteless", "keeping alien laws". Sounds like a different people and not demons.

Furthermore, evidence from other religions (Buddhism) confirm that the meaning of Dasa as slave:

>Words related to dasa are found in early Buddhist texts, such as as dāso na pabbājetabbo, which Davids and Stede translate as "the slave cannot become a Bhikkhu".

This fits neately with the Aryan Invasion Theory that states that the Indo-Aryans conquered and enslaved the native population.

Part 3

Furthermore the Dasa are described as

Noseless

>HYMN XXIX. Agni.
10 One car-wheel of the Sun thou rolledst forward, and one thou settest free to move for Kutsa.
Thou slewest noseless Dasyus with thy weapon, and in their home o'erthrewest hostile speakers.

Dark

>HYMN XLI. Soma Pavamana.
1. ACTIVE and bright have they come forth, impetuous in speed like bulls,
Driving the black skin far away.
2 Quelling the riteless Dasyu, may we think upon the bridge of bliss,
Leaving the bridge of woe behind.

Different from the Arya

>HYMN LII. Indra.
8 Discern thou well Aryas and Dasyus; punishing the lawless give them up to him whose grass is
strewn.

A "people" and enemies of the Arya

>HYMN XVIII. Indra.
3 Thou, thou alone, hast tamed the Dasyus; singly thou hast subdued the people for the Arya. In this, or is it not, thine hero exploit, Indra? Declare it at the proper season.

"Noseless" and "dark" seems to fits well with the anthropomorphic profile of, say, the Dravidians. Pic related.

Part 4

>Aryan religion is centred on seers, not warriors.
>The vedas dont say fight, they say perform the sacrifices so indra and the sages can fight the spiritual forces of darkness.

On the contrary, the ancient Indo-Aryans were warriors, skilled with the bow and arrow, the horse and the chariot. the Rig Vedas says (HYMN LXXV):
>1. THE warrior's look is like a thunderous rain-cloud's, when, armed with mail, he seeks the lap of battle.
Be thou victorious with unwounded body: so let the thickness of thy mail protect thee.
>2 With Bow let us win kine, with Bow the battle, with Bow be victors in our hot encounters.
The Bow brings grief and sorrow to the foeman: armed with the Bow may we subdue all regions.
>7 Horses whose hoofs rain dust are neighing loudly, yoked to the Chariots, showing forth their vigour,
With their forefeet descending on the foemen, they, never flinching, trample and destroy them.

And my favorite verse:
>16 Loosed from the Bowstring fly away, thou Arrow, sharpened by our prayer.
Go to the foemen, strike them home, and let not one be left alive.
>Arrow
>sharpened by our prayer.
>let not one be left alive.

B-but muh spiritual interpretation.

Part 5

Pretty much overkill at this point but, just out of curiosity (The Daeva Cult in the Gathas, Ahmedi, Amir)

>socio-ethnic conflicts between Vedic Indians and inchoate Iranians, where ethno-cultural differences become a vehicle for a socio economic antagonism between the warlike nomadic Indians and the pacific sedentary Iranians.
>The reaction of the Iranian victims of the
Indian cattle-raids is the demonization of the latter’s gods, the devas.
>Warlike indians
>Indian cattle-raids

Rig Veda:
>2 With Bow let us win kine, with Bow the battle, with Bow be victors in our hot encounters.

Yup. Warriors.

Do you fear a rabid dog?

Maybe so. It just seems so antithetical to human happiness and progress that I'm surprised someone didn't ask "why".

Impressive

Bump

>lol hindus feed rats while children starve how stupid

Meanwhile
>pagans burned entire herds of cattle and tons of exotic spices at ceremonies while children starved
>christians encased tiny bone fragments and rusty nails in 20 pounds of precious metals and jewels in while children starved
>buddhists cast giant bronze statues and covered pagodas with gold leaf while children starved
etc

Jesus user, try to apply a little cultural relativism.

I love reliquaries mind you.

>A
>FUCKING
>TOOTH

>fedora army has arrived
Thats enough milk to keep a kid alive for a week, except not because its diseased. Now kys

>people were idiots 2,000 years ago so it's okay to be idiots today

>kys
>>>/reddit/

>2000 years ago
One of the reliquaries I posted is maybe 200 years old, and the 700-ton bronze Buddha at Lingshan was built in 1996.

Thing is, people don't use reliquaries and gilded pagodas and giant silk prayer carpets to argue that there's something wrong with Christianity/Buddhism/Islam, it's part of the cultural dick-measuring contest if anything. But apparently feeding some rats (which probably costs about $100 a month tops) is the height of decadence.

Not to mention Westerners keep rats as pets and feed flying vermin in parks without even having a religious motive to do so, as if there are no poor people in their countries (or other countries for that matter.)

It's diseased because all the rats are drinking it.

What, you think they'd give holy rats diseased milk?

umm... racist and specieist much?

Why didn't the translator use normal English?

Good posts btw

>he thinks a gallon of donated milk would save thousands of children

It's at the same time one of the most dogmatic religions, with the most strictly defined social hierarchies.

It would be better to starve the rats, too, but if I can get rid of only one, the kids are better value.

>>buddhists cast giant bronze statues and covered pagodas with gold leaf while children starved
Basically just Hindus pretending to be Buddhists because Hindus fucking hate Buddhism and want to incorporate it into their own religion despite the two being incompatible.

>meanwhile user buys soda and chips and new computer parts while children starve all over the world

>Vishnu is a minor deity in the Vedas
nope, he didnt exist until the composition of the upanishads.
The only problem with this theory is the whole episode with the slaying of Vritra who was a brahmin for the city who Indra and his soldiers attacked. So brahmins already existed before aryan invasion.

Also translation to english is dependent on the understanding of context for the words, e.g dharma has a myriad of contextual meaning depending on sentences, so words like Dasa, krsna and other words are very much dependent on context and I highly doubt they correctly indicated race. Since the title of Dasa was applied to any enemy even fellow aryans as evidenced with the passages referring to gavisti on the Pani during the battle of the ten kings where the Pani are called Dasas when they are clearly indo aryans in rpevious references.