I'm broke down 1000miles from home, I've got about 200$ to fix this

I'm broke down 1000miles from home, I've got about 200$ to fix this.
What can I do?

Rebuilt alternator $49

That's the distributor

Find a parts store and buy a new one

reman distro for $150
mark where it say, or you'll fuck the timing.

Tyty

Where did the 14 or so feet of wire come from?

No clue

>driving a car that still has points

So that's NOT supposed to be there ?

She's my pride and joy

Did the fucking alt unwind into the distributor?

How the fuck?

Nope.
Pull that shit out and find where it came from.

That's where I guess

See

I mean the only thing I've figured out is that it's not getting a spark for ignition

That's just a hall effect sensor that got a bit close to the reluctor. If all the wire came from it, then slap a new one in and probably tighten the depth adjustment screw with a bit of loctite...

You shouldn't need to replace the whole distributor unless it's physically broken somewhere in there. I'd give it a shot replacing the hall effect first.

Thank you very much

So this would cause the no spark problem I'm getting right?

I'd be worried about shaft free play being the reason for the contact in the first place. Something had to have moved abd it's likelier to be the shaft than the pick up.

It would trigger the coil dump. Without it, it won't release power to the rotor. Thus no spark. No good way to test it, but a new one should not be too expensive

Well a bit of adjustment can fix it up regardless, but if there is free play, then you're right. In that case, it should be just replaced as soon as possible.

Well how would I know if the shaft has play in it? I mean I'm pulling on it every which way I can and it seams solid

Then its probably fine. If you can crank it and watch the shift at the same time, you can be damn sure. Why have you not replace the pick up sensor yet?

I just pulled the rotor cap off,
At first I thought it was the timing belt but I had compression, then I looked at the fuel pump and it was okay so I took the plug wires off and cranked it looking for a spark or to electrocute myself

I'm not very good with cars at all but when shit breaks down I usually fix it myself

Idk I just called a junk yard and they'll look for a distributor in the morning, should be about 100$

I guess I'll replace the whole unit Because I've got people telling me the wire could have got into the berings and I do t want to have to deal with another breakdown in another 2 states I've got 1000 miles to get home and no money for anything but grass at this point
Thanks to everyone I should be good in a day or two

Hell no. Alternator copper winding's are thicker then that

>100$
Go to a pick n pull, you'll spend $25.

Those are only really in California and big cities.

That doesn't have points you inbred.