Which ph.d is better overall (life enjoyment, $$$, hours, etc)?

Which ph.d is better overall (life enjoyment, $$$, hours, etc)?

Economics, Business, Finance, or Accounting?

Whichever one you enjoy most. A majority of PhDs end up in academia, so it's not really about money.

I'm a first year student dual majoring in Math and Econ but im curious on what the other majors would offer later on

Micro or Macro ? What College ?

Phd in math

Not ph.d, Mba or a degree in finance or corporate banking (5 years in Italy) are better than a ph.d if you want work in a company.

/int/ reject here.

What does this mean?

Ok lad. I'm your guy.

>Life enjoyment
First of all, a PhD will lead to better life enjoyment (after it is complete, that is). this is because a lot of PhDs end up back in the university environment. Depending on the tier of school, you will still have to do some research or publish a paper, or something. Not too hard, especially if you're in the social sciences. Tenure track PhD professors can easily make six figures.

>$$$
While the dollar amount is high, that six figure salary, you must remember that on average is takes seven years to complete a PhD. You can do it in about 5, but be prepared for a lot of work. That's why people spread it out. During those years you are foregoing wages and you also have lots of opportunity cost. Think of it this way, you could do the PhD, and end up making six figures when you're in your early to mid 30s, or you could get a one or two year MBA after your undergrad and be making $60-70k starting out THEN HAVE those 6 or 7 years to grow a career from and eventually make six figures.

Just for your information, studies show the massive PhD salary doesn't make up for all the foregone wages, and if the study says it does, it's usually very marginal (a percentage point or two) above the lifetime earnings of a masters degree holder. This is on average though, so it includes "women's studies PhDs" I bet.

>hours
PhDs end up in academia most often, so very good hours. The professors I worked with during my master's degree/MBA often only came in three days a week during fall and spring semesters. I'd say that's pretty good hours, but as previously stated, they usually had to publish papers and things. I guess it's just about managing your time.

In terms of ranking from hardest kill myself to easiest babby-tier:
>Economics PhD > Finance PhD > DBA (PhD in Business Administration, essentially an academic style MBA) > Accounting CPA (I don't know why you would EVER want to get an accounting PhD hence why I put the CPA on the bottom)

>phd in accounting

So if I don't want to be a drone in a cubicle 9-5 every fucking day a Ph.d is a good way to get past that?

What if I get my Mba before my Ph.d?

Does all that education in economics make it easy to make good investments in the stock market during your schooling?

majoring in math is already an exercise in masochism, murdering my GPA for no reason except to learn, who would ever want to get a Ph.d in it?

Typically you get your masters while getting your PhD. A lot of people can't handle the full PhD program so they just get the masters and then drop out. So, it's not a matter of "if" you get an MBA before a PhD. However, the MBA is a kind of unique degree. All it is is a master's of business administration, but it almost has taken on a meaning of its own (pretty much an irl meme). Ever notice someone do this:
>user Ymous, MBA.

Yet, you wouldn't do this:
>user Ymous, MSc. Accounting.

That's nuanced I guess. But typically people try to get into a top 10 MBA program and usually do so late in their lives like mid-30s or so because top 10 schools usually have a work requirement of 4 years or so. PhDs, however, you can get right after undergrad.

You just need to look into it m8. Schools do different things and have different criteria. I guess I'm just talking more general.

>Does all that education in economics make it easy to make good investments in the stock market during your schooling?
L.O.L. Fuck no. Economics /= how real world markets work. Economics is a pseudoscience. What HAS helped me, however, is the statistics, forecasting, and econometrics portion of it but I learned this in my "applied economics" masters program, NOT undergrad.

A basic bachelors in econ is a waste imo. If I could turn back time I'd get a finance undergrad but keep my applied econ masters. But, then again, all finance is is applied financial microeconomics, so whatever. I got the MBA too because, as stated, its a meme degree people respect (plus it only took me one more year and I got it for free).

>So if I don't want to be a drone in a cubicle 9-5 every fucking day a Ph.d is a good way to get past that?
Just look on Glassdoor for jobs you may want and what their qualifications are. You could just go to Police Academy for a year if you don't want to be in a cubicle every day kek. It just depends on what you want out of life m8.

PhD will give good investment knowledge like
>only buy index mutual funds
>long term investment, not trading so timing and enter/exit costs don't matter
>buy and hold for 40 years it'll work out

Th-thanks academia

So economics is a waste of a degree? even if im for sure getting my masters and maybe ph.d?

>Just look on Glassdoor for jobs you may want and what their qualifications are.
I just want a non-cubicle job that pays a lot and is intellectually stimulating

>So economics is a waste of a degree?
It's not a waste, but I'd recommend studying finance or math over economics personally.

>even if im for sure getting my masters and maybe ph.d?
You don't need an undergrad in the same field as your masters or PhD. Lots of people do a math undergrad (once again, highly recommended), then score a perfect quant score on the GRE and get into a top 10 school for their economics PhD. After an econ PhD, you will either be working for the government (cubicle) or you'll be working for a uni, or if you do real good you'll be a quant in NYC or something (cubicle). Honestly, "intellectual" jobs will end up in a cubicle m8.

>you will either be working for the government (cubicle) or you'll be working for a uni, or if you do real good you'll be a quant in NYC or something (cubicle). Honestly, "intellectual" jobs will end up in a cubicle m8.
FUCK, I guess ill be a professor then, I could not stand being alone in a cubicle for multiple hours a day talking nobody

Im dual majoring in math and economics anyway right now

>So if I don't want to be a drone in a cubicle 9-5 every fucking day a Ph.d is a good way to get past that?

No. Academia is incredibly hard work for relatively little gain. You'll have relatively little job security (assuming you find a job at all with all of the competition) and will be required to publish consistently or risk losing your job and/or grant. Academia is something you go into for the love of your field, not for money or job security.

Source: I have one from a top-tier university and abandoned academia long ago in favour of consulting.

is there ANY job I can get with a econ ph.d without being stuck in a soul sucking cubicle?

If I majored in finance and got a ph.d do you think id be able to just be self-employed on my investments?

>If I majored in finance and got a ph.d do you think id be able to just be self-employed on my investments?

I am not really sure that you have a solid grasp on what a PhD is for. With relatively few exceptions, people get PhDs because:

a) They want to go into academia.
b) They want to complete one as a vanity project.

Sure, you can do whatever you like with a PhD. The real question is whether you needed to dedicate 5-6 years of your life to being poor to actually get there (and, chances are, you really didn't).

I like being in academia and I'd be okay with being poor to complete a vanity project, I just dont want a soul sucking lonely job AFTER my ph.d

I like Economics more than Finance but im interested in both

>I like being in academia

You're an undergrad. You have no clue what it's like to be in academia.

Think long and hard about whether you are going to remain interested enough in your subject area to place yourself in a situation where employment will be scarce, the pay will be mediocre and your institution will treat you like a slave.

how's the job satisfaction in consulting then?