Why do otherwise intelligent people fall for pascal's wager?

Why do otherwise intelligent people fall for pascal's wager?

Because they have no idea about the possibility space or its' infinite size.

It's fucking gob smacking to watch people talk about it without realizing that there's more than two outcome universes.

they aren't though

John von Neumann fell for it on his death bed.

>implying it's not the right thing to do
>implying it's okay to burn in hell for an eternity for the sake of it
I am not religious in a Christian sense (or jewish or islamic), but i'll be damned if I don't repent on my death bed, literally.

How do you know who to repent to?

You don't, so you repent to them all.

Fail to account for the amount of religions

Because to a certain extent, just about everyone is scared of their own deaths, and it's natural (if not necessarily logically valid) to assume that the religion you were brought up around is the correct one.

space is finite

but is time?

Maybe because being correct or incorrect on the subject of religion probably isn't super important, so it's okay to be wrong. Double pascal reacharound.

can u repeat the qeuestion?

You cant force yourself to believe, and hinest belief is what matters in Christianity, making Pascals Wager meaningless.

I don't think hell exists but was a good motivation tool. If you believe in reincarnation then you can be reborn into a shitty life because you were a shitty person.

That won't work in Christianity you give your life to Christ and Christ only

The Christ Jesus never said this.

This.

Despite the modern church throwing around repentance, traditionally a true Christian has been completely devoted.

This. I've never understood the validity of Pascal's Wager. It just doesn't work.

Don't go tricking potential believers, where does He say this?

Not necessarily "known" or validated.

Plus I was talking about possibility space. There are an infinite number of universal outcomes for attempting any sort of wager with "god" since you are dealing with, up to any number and combination of, beings with varying tempermants, psychologies, and rules. Even ones that seem counterfactual "Don't believe in me and go to heaven".

The logic for trying to dismiss the host of infinity is specious. You'd have to hold on to your snowflake version of God as the only possibly type of God possible.