It's 2016. BRUTAL HONESTY. How bad of an idea is a 30 year old Pontiac Fiero as a first an only DD car?

It's 2016. BRUTAL HONESTY. How bad of an idea is a 30 year old Pontiac Fiero as a first an only DD car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LADDbc--Iew
fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pretty bad.

Reported.

Why

That car is a POS

Get an mr2 instead

Not the guy you responded to, but I believe he is referring to
>Pontiac

If your new to driving fast get a shitbox that's easy to drive and if you crash it who cares then when your ready get something faster and you'll enjoy it even more because you put in the time to learn driving.

If your not a new drive get MR2 instead

MR2s are way more rare and harder to find and are rice taxed.

Its a Ferrari with a body kit it should be fine

They are expensive for an older car but it's the best drivers car if you can get a good one that hasn't been molested by 16yo kids that repeatedly say the words JDM bro.

Drive a boring shitbox for a year or two, then buy yourself a nice AW11.

Wrong.

This guy gets it , but OP if you buy an AW11 please remember DO NOT LIFT

>Muh drivers car
Dude, fuck off. It's his first car. A Fiero is safer, has more luggage space, easier to find, cheaper, and more forgiving towards mistakes and bad drivers.
And the Fiero has a much more massive aftermarket when he wants to modify.

OP Get the Fiero. It's perfectly fine. Try to get a GT V6.

absolutely adore these hypocritical jdm tyte mr2 shills and the idiots saying "drive a shitbox for a year and get readyyyy!!!"

newsflash, stop trying to rationalize your choices and force other people to not have fun and be miserable like you.
You know how you get good at driving mid engined sports cars? By driving mid engined sports cars. What if there was a rather slow but decent and cheap and reliable MR platform oh look at that it's called a Fiero and MR2

That's why I said if he was new to buy a shitbox I only said to buy an MR2 if he wasn't new.
Ofcourse an MR2 is the worst car possible for a new driver.

Fuck off stop mollycoddling people you're the reason why young kids are so absolutely infantalized
if this is about "protecting MR2s and Fieros" then how about you get the fuck over it? None of these cars are worth a lot and both are very common.

The best MR car to get as a first MR car is the Fiero exactly for the reasons mentioned in The fact the Fiero is SO much more forgiving towards mistakes is a BIG bonus towards easing people into a more serious MR car.

Oh dear I made fun of the people that rice out cars that were once nice. Go have a cry.

they're only getting rarer
i see a mr2 turbo maybe once every couple months now

They're rare to start with, from 1984 to 2005, they made something like 320,000 MR2's worldwide.

They made just shy of 380,000 Fieros from 1983-1988 and only sold them in AMerica and Canada. Fieros are so much easier to find, it's not even funny.

OK? Who cares. Who appointed you the MR protection committee

They are just as reliable as same year Nissan or Mazda.

why are you so triggered by different opinions? stop making strawmen

>Pontiac Fiero
It's built better than a MR2 but that doesn't change the fact that it's front end styling at the time was meant to oppose the boxy and linear designs of many other cars. You'll keep on sinking money into it for parts if you can find them. Chances are you'll have to find a compatible engine mount for its frame and have a new replacement engine that fits. Is it really a Fiero then?

The above is probably why others tell you it's a bad idea but didn't want to type out all the words.

How am I triggered I made fun of ricers and someone got butthurt.

I dont understand your post or how its ideas are linked together

It's actually a pretty great first car if you want to learn about cars. small things can go wrong, but they're just easy enough for anybody to do, but just annoying enough that you learn something. the plastic body panels mean that when you get in minor accidents, the bodywork is fine, they don't snap overmeme like MR2's, huge passionate support community that'll let you do everything from countach kit cars to front engine V8 drag monsters. as well as being very safe for a "classic". second safest car you could buy in the 80's, and the safest car without airbags.
Source:a close friend of mine had one as his first car, his dad had one, and lastly, I have one.

This will explain things very simply what I think of ricers.

Is this reddit? What the fuck dude? Nobody cares

>trying to prevent OP from ruining a car that he'll actually care for during his first year driving/stop him from killing himself
>hurr durr stop being miserable

When did you make fun of ricers? Nobody was even talking about them.

Also forgot to mention that parts are INCREDIBLY easy to find and retarded cheap. the fiero was assembled out of the GM scrap bin from all their cheapest cars because GM upper management was full of fags. haven't failed to find a single part yet.

You seem pritty butt hurt

What the fuck are you even doing?

Fuck off back to facebook with this shite.

>I have no argument so I'll just greentext
Alright family

>get btfo
>g-greentext doesn't count

kys

It's not butthurt its just that nobody understands your posts

>They are expensive for an older car but it's the best drivers car if you can get a good one that hasn't been molested by 16yo kids that repeatedly say the words JDM bro.

and the other meme .15336476

Why are Fieros safer than MR2s?

You are retarded

When every single person who has replied to you only expresses confusion then I think it's you man.

What even is your argument? Fieros are beater cars, its perfect for a teen.

What's the confusing part ?

Insanely overbuilt chassis. the body panels are not load bearing at all. you could take them all off and drive the car perfectly without any detriment to safety.

do these people actually fucking think fieros mr2s miatas are higher end cars that shouldn't be "ruined" by new drivers? im fucking laughing
is Veeky Forums this poor

What would you suggest a mustang hahaha yeah bra burnouts braaaaaa

they're all the same level

Here's a pic for ya. Not him, but helps show off the Fiero's spaceframe chassis.

Mustangs are great if you like understeer.

Christ who cares this isn't a mustang thread stop changing the subject

why are you so butt hurt when people make jokes ?

>this thread
OP here
there are two 1986 Fieros
One seems to be a SE (though the owner put a turbocoupe badge on it?) for 3800 in great condition with 110k miles
the other is a GT, a bit rougher looking (pic related just that on the exterior) and has 86k miles for 1800

>i was just pretending to be retarded

I would get the GT and learn to work on cars by replacing those little things.

That's pretty cool.
Why did they never sell Fieros in the UK? The MR2 was/is really popular here.

Fuck you're autistic

Unsure. Saturns in America also used spaceframes for their FWD shitboxes from 1991 until 2007.
Pic related, The bare chassis (minus doors. The doors have removable plastic outer skins as well like the Fiero) of a 1991-1995 Saturn SL2 sedan. FWD, IRS, 124 HP 1.9L DOHC I4, and around 2300 lbs of weight fully loaded.

so you agree? FWD Is bad?

And here's a review a British guy did of Saturns around 2000
youtube.com/watch?v=LADDbc--Iew

Nope. FWD is great. Saturns are fantastic.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
FWD IS BAD
FIEROS ARE BAD
THEY'RE UNRELIABLE

This is Corey, just ignore him.

Fiero is the poor man's mr2

hell yeah jdm tyte

>Says fwd is bad
>has never learnt to drive himself

OP: for your first car, buy the most hum-drum ordinary car you can find. It will be reliable, and when it needs to be fixed, it will be cheap and easy to fix.

Later on you can buy a toy like a Fiero, if you still want to. But for now if you need to get to school or work every day, buy an ordinary boring car. You will be glad you did.

There's no reason why he can't go to work/school everyday in a Fiero/MR2.

This 100% agreed
>cheaper
>doesn't get hasseld by cops
>is more forgiving to drive
>no stress if things go wrong it's cheap

Oh hey you just described a Fiero
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about

MR2s and Fieros are cheap to buy and maintain.

also fieros do not have a street racer stigma at all
you're more likely to get pulled over in a fiero is true, but only because the cop wants to ask you about what the hell you're driving or how cool he always thought those were

I'm just saying to get a cheap car in general but's heavily advise against a mid engined car for a new driver.

Why

Why do MR2s and Miatas have a throwaway appeal that people feel safe to pick up for cheap, strip it and go fuckin racing. But Fieros which are a more common and cheap car are treated as some rare thing that only old man car collectors should have?

If your talking about the whole mid engine car thing it's because MR cars are unforgiving for new drivers when most of the weight is in the back it makes the car unstable under hard braking and will not tollerate lifting off the throttle at the wrong moment. MR cars are for drivers that have learnt to balance the car and it's weight transfers.

A cheap FF car would be much easier and more forgiving for a novice and it's best to crash a cheap car rather than an expensive one and most likely OP will have an accident at some point when he's new.

So you have never driven a Fiero?

Where do you live that fieros are more common than mr2s? I can go pick up like 3 diferent mr2s on my craigslist right now and they all cost lest than 2k each

No I haven't driven a fierro.

>No I haven't driven a fierro.
It shows.
Fiero's are the most forgiving MR cars to ever exist. MR2's are more of a razors edge in handling with their tendency for snap oversteer. Fiero's don't do that very easily.

Well I'm just talking about mid engine cars in general are much less forgiving and some may seem forgiving to some because they are not been driven hard enough to cause any real weigh transfer I haven't driven a fierro but I'd still say if it's mid engined don't get it as a first car and if your driving an MR car and find it forgiving your not driving it fast.

Ok? Jesus dude It's not like a fiero is an expensive car anyway
its perfect for a teenage car enthusiast
its cheap
its safe
its reliable
whats the problem

If it's cheap then get it I'm just saying to be wary of MR cars.

Fuck off you piece of shit
you think FF cars only exist to be econoboxes and cant be competitive?

I said they'd be a good cheap first car.I never said all FF cars were cheap crap I don't know where your getting that idea from. There's plenty of great expensive FF cars like the Focus RS , renaluts megane etc

>you will never reduce weight on fiero
why is it so pigfat

>drive a shitbox for a few years
>both the Fiero and MR2 are shitboxes

Get your shit straight, faggots.

> Drives fast in a straight line thinks his mustang is cool

Safety. That chassis is way overbuilt.

so i should cut the chassis up?

Main issue with these Fieros is the rust. Once it starts, there's no ending it without serious money

>Moostang

Not even close. I do own a shitbox though and I admit it.

Lol it's ok if I didn't entertain bait I wouldn't enjoy this website

My stock fieros have all been very reliable. easy to work on, cheapest parts.

and I was mean as fuck to them. neutral drops on the auto trans one all day, railed every corner I could find.

I would suggest doing it, and get a front sway bar off CL or ebay and throw it on the rear of the car. world of difference in the handling.

go ask these guys instead, Veeky Forums will just make fun of you fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

>neutral drops on the auto trans
Do not take car advice from this person

No. The best way to reduce weight on the Fiero is an engine swap. Both the 4 cylinder and the V6 they used were iron block and iron head so they were fairly heavy. Swapping to an all aluminum Ecotec 4 banger reduces a lot of weight and opens up a lot of power potential. pic related. Even the 2.2L N/A I4 with 140 HP used in fucking everything makes as much power as the Fiero V6 did

I didnt suggest he treat his as poorly as I did mine. I gave an example of the abuse mine lasted through.

and when you own 3 shit box fieros you can afford to try to kill one for fun. the worst I ever managed was breaking a rocker arm and it took all of 30 min to get one off a parts car i had and install it.

pic related the pushrod 2.5l I4 in all its ghetto fabulous glory. (that intake boot came off a poorsche 924 ;)

>railed every corner
let me fix that for you sledge understeered on every corner with the new thick ass front sway bar then panicked and turned the wheel full lock and wondered why it wouldn't turn.