How do I learn to start working on my car? I almost know nothing

How do I learn to start working on my car? I almost know nothing.

Are there classes I can take? What's the easiest thing to start with, oil changes?

Also any car jacks anyone can recommend? I have a 1 car garage

Start with oil changes and tire rotations.
Use jack stands. Don't ever go under the car with just a hydraulic jack. They can fail.

buy a shit car and fix anything preventing you from driving it daily

use information from people, forums, internet, haynes manual etc

buy a 100+ piece tool set from craftsman, and jack/jack stands from HF. just fucking do shit

Don't bother, it's an Veeky Forums meme. Unless you really enjoy working on cars and getting dirty just take it to a mechanic. Otherwise you're wasting your time and some money, whereas with a mechanic you're just spending a little more money for labor.

>Classes
>Non rigid skill
Fucking kids.
You learn by doing.
Classes are a fucking scam. You're getting cucked.

Did you teach yourself mechanical engineering or physics? Retard

Let's review my post.
>Non rigid skill
Lets break this statement down into easier to digest parts.
>Non
>Rigid
>Skill

It's beneficial to know this shit so that when you DO take it to a mechanic, you can tell whether you're being scammed or not.

I took my Sonata in once because there was oil leaking onto the alternator and they wanted $2000 for a bunch of fucking shit which had nothing to do with the problem. Just needed a few bolts repaired and the job posted $150 at a local Mexican shop.

The only non rigid thing here is your cock while mine is rock hard and pummeling your tight bunghole and filling you with my crotch juice

HAH you got wrecked faggot.

Heh, nice.

But yeah, buy a Haynes manual for your car. Start with the simple jobs, it will give you step-by-step directions and valuable warnings. When you're stuck or the shitty black-and-white photos don't make sense, consult a friend. Also a good idea to make friends with a local mechanic, a good one will give you tips and help out once they find out you're passionate about learning.

Doesn't surprise me this thread hardly gets replies. No one here is an actual enthusiast.

Most people on this board are poorfag busriders who jerk off to shitty 90s anime with Eurobeat and think they're so manly for driving a manual piece of shit econobox that's over 15 years old.

>Also any car jacks anyone can recommend?
It's not just chinese jacks, but even "made in usa" companies can be fronts for chinese parts now. While some chinese parts meet spec, in my opinion, most (the vast majority) chinese parts do not if tested to their limit. Thus, you can't depend on the hydraulic jack's seals to withstand continuous load or even bend under 3/4 of the rated max weight (aka broken).

>How do I learn to start working on my car?
Learning more about a car, its parts, and why certain things are there is important. Otherwise, one of the important things will be impossible to do which is to inspect your car to determine if things are in good working order. That is different from being able to repair them, but you will go a long ways towards avoiding getting ripped off by dishonest or scamming dealerships and independent auto shops.

As others have said, one usually starts "wrenching" with oil changes and tire rotations. That probably means you'll get a jack and jack stands for the front of the car. You might choose racks too.

Go to your public library and see if they have Haynes or Chilton manuals. Remember not to instantly give up if they don't have any. Other libraries in your area may have them. Some libraries also subscribe to online databases, so you should check since some libraries consider alldata to be a database subscription as opposed to books on the shelf. Or they may have the online versions of haynes/chilton instead of the book form.

Go online and check out the course offerings at your various community colleges and vocational schools. If they have auto shop or auto engineering classes, see if they have a bookstore for their students. Then go browse that bookstore for the auto-related textbooks. There surely should be some sort of introduction to car wrenching type books there or at least something about all the car subsystems. I've done that before for NON-car-related subjects and was well-rewarded.

>Doesn't surprise me this thread hardly gets replies. No one here is an actual enthusiast.

There's plenty of enthusiasts, but we've answered the same question a billion times and sick of people not bothering to look up archived answers.

The other problem is the huge number of troll threads started which shove the good threads off the board. Perhaps that is the trolls' goal. Once people get tired of repeating answers, they stop posting. Thus the trolls have been winning in that many people that would answer have succumbed to the trolls. The mods can't ban those troll threads because they are on the edge of plausible denial that it is a troll thread. I mean, a thread such as "Chevy should get rid of corvette" is plausible. Or even "Why are steering wheels necessary?" is plausible though most of us call that a troll thread.

But mods can't just delete those threads. And look at the obvious troll thread with all those laughing faces. It is obviously a troll thread but it meets plausible deniability requirements and is thus not deleted. The trollers have found the weakness in the mods and make troll threads to kill the good threads.

What people can do is click on report on the troll thread's OP post. If enough people click report, that thread is automatically removed without mod intervention.

>Have a 1 car garage

You have it made already. Download a PDF of the Haynes manual of your car, look up some online guides and tutorials for your car, visit forums made about your, buy the equipment you need, don't rush or you will fuck.

Start small with simple oil changes, spark plugs, and work your way up.

Back then, I had no interest in cars, my oldman told me that his rotors were warped and I literally asked him if the rotors were the fans in front of the engine and he just descreetly facepalmed lol.

Today, I'm changing brakes, battery, sparkplugs, oil, rebuilt my dizzy, swapped my radiator, took out my waterpump and thermostat to boil test them.

I'd love to pull out my driveshaft out my tranny, drop it and rebuilt it myself and seal and rivet lexan polycarbonate. If you asked me about these things when I was a kid, I'd have probably shot myself so if you love it, it will come naturally to you.

I don't know about jackstands, I use the 3 ton Craftsman ones with the pins and they've been great.

Also, look up the safe jacking points of your car before you even atempt to jack it off but usually, there will be a seam and markings under the car.

>Also any car jacks anyone can recommend?

OP jacks up his car.

OP's dog comes by and puts paw on the jack reset lever. The jack comes down automatically.

OP is under the car.

Bow, wow! Bow, wowwrrr?! Grrrr?!!!!

>Most people on this board are poorfag busriders who jerk off to shitty 90s anime with Eurobeat and think they're so manly for driving a manual piece of shit econobox that's over 15 years old.
this is me

More like TrayTray comes by and sees single homeowner working on car.

TrayTray pops the jack release and car comes down trapping the homeowner.

TrayTray goes in and robs the house, and charges up all the credit cards and empties the bank accounts with the old trick of no PIN needed.

TrayTray goes prowling next week for more people working on their cars.

Jesus christ you sound like another gmfag.
You can't be over 19.

Not that guy, but an aquaintance was wrenching a lot as a highschool student. He was skilled at welding already too before he went to university. It's been many years now, but he started off repairing cars with his own shop after he graduated from university with some business management courses under his belt.

He then got enough money to purchase a franchise for one of those small chain stores doing brake, oil, tires, alignment, and general repairs. He bought a larger than usual place. He then put the franchise in part of the place and had his own shop "next door" really in the same building. Both stores complemented each other. Prosperity came. His kids grew up and now manage that set of shops. He has a separate used car dealership several miles away and runs that. Of course, he sends business to his other shops and vice versa.

He did well as GM wrenching kid well under 19. As a teen, he learned a lot from his father who was a mechanic.

>I'd love to pull out my driveshaft out my tranny, drop it and rebuilt it myself and seal and rivet lexan polycarbonate.

Bro do you even into english?

Jeez, I tried being funny with the "pull out my driveshaft out of my tranny bit".

My quarter windows are leaking, I though I'd try making a template out of Lexan sheets, cut them out, seal them, and rivet them.

A Toyofag and older than you.

>My quarter windows are leaking, I though I'd try making a template out of Lexan sheets, cut them out, seal them, and rivet them.

Don't know if you have the hard plastic seams or the soft rubber seams on those tiny non-moving windows. But if it's rubber, can't you put in some silicone or rubber type sealant (very small bead) using a syringe? Not the diabetes drug needle syringe, but one with the plastic tips used to place adhesives or other liquids precisely. Actually, if you unscrew the metal needle tip on some drug syringes, that exposes a small plastic tip that could be used. If you had 20-gauge metal hypodermic needle syringe, that might be at the very edge of usability to insert sealant under the rubber edge.