ITT: Severely underrated vehicles

ITT: Severely underrated vehicles

tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

1989 Dodge Caravan
2.5l i4 turbo 5 speed 150hp stock
3086 pounds curb weight

From what I read, this was a seriously good SUV, just released at the wrong time.

what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Also, LeBarons.

wasn't that just a Chrysler Aspen with a Kia bodykit?

Lifter noise.

where i live everyone has one

>this

my parents had one of these. it was a real beast but yeah, dem lifters

>Opel Frontera and its clones
>underrated
it's cheap for a handful of reasons

dem looks tho
Multipla is widely regarded as a really good and spacious vehicle, it's just ugly

>Opel Frontera and its clones
It was an Isuzu and half a dozen other things before it was ever an opel

This. They're a Rodeo or a MU first and foremost.
I used to have a JDM import short wheel base MU (stands for "Mysterious Utility") with the old fashioned mechanical 3.1 turbo diesel, and it was a tough little truck.

please explain why you feel this vehicle is underrated without using any japanese reliability memes

Well that's the biggest reason it's underrated, whether you wish to acknowledge that or not.

tfw its diff is a direct swap for my truck if it was the G80 package. Dana 44 lsd.

Absolutely not. Indigenous Korean design, most closely resembles a 05-12 Pathfinder or 02-11 Explorer in terms of layout: BOF with independent coil sprung rear suspension to fit a fold flat third row. Transfer case with a true low range.

I agree, they're really not bad trucks. What would keep me from buying one today as a used vehicle is the limited supply of used cars and lack of community in terms of looking up repairs and DIY fixes.

OP I think you're right, they're a great budget alternative to the ubiquitous 3rd gen 4Runner. Just gotta watch out for the Gm automatic transmission. Seriously sturdy and overbuilt suspensions, axles and brakes. Isuzu Trooper even more so IMO.

Another contender: Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Same story as the Isuzu. Cheaper than a 4Runner, every bit as capable when configured correctly (available rear locker).

Are you sure the current generation Sorento like that pic is a BOF truck style SUV? I'm positive they turned into a transverse drive FWD with an AWD optioned crossover.
The first generation was indeed a proper truck like 4x4 SUV with even a live rear axle.

My inclusion in this thread would be Hyundai Terracan. A Hyundai body on a second generation Pajero platform with the Hyundai/Kia commercial 2.9 CRDi engine.

Everybody hates on these things when they are literately one of the fastest cars you can buy for any amount of money.

And there goes the thread..

Have you driven one, faggot?

Stop hating because you are poor.

if it wasnt for the shit Boxer engine i would have bought one of those, FR-S should have had a turbo I4 or at least a NA I4, good looking cars but i hate Boxers too much to consider buying one

That's not a sorento, it's a Borrego, sold internationally as "Mohave." You're correct that the Sorento transitioned from a BOF/solid rear axle traditional SUV (with Lexus RX300 looks) to a FWD sedan based platform.

Borrego is definitely a traditional SUV, except for the IRS. It was of the same generation as other SUVs transitioning to IRS like the final BOF Explorer, the 05-12 Pathfinder, Nissan Armada, 08+ Sequoia, 3rd gen Montero (Pajero).

This.
>inb4 anyone actually responds to the satirical anti brobaru tard

But "fastest car" for "any amount of money" is objectively wrong. Can't bait your way around that.

If you have more than 200HP you can't put it down so what is the point? I don't care what you bring, my FRS will destroy you on the twisties.

Stop replying you turkey.
Ah, fair enough. Never heard of them before. Interestingly Wikipedia lists the Hyundai Terracan as the Mohave predecessor.

Caravan seats 7 and weighs less

>anything from kukrea
>underrated

My friend and I were in his saturn Ion headed down the mountain and we prolly hit about 70 going around some pretty tight turns it was surprisingly capable

See

I fucking own one shit lord.

this

these are shit, deal with it

Say that to my $1400 m3. Total pos, but a well maintained used one will probably last as long as an 86/frs and be about as reliable

I mean what other car looks ugly af and comes with a free tent

>bmw
>well maintained
>reliable
kek

do you actually believe this?

plenty of better american vehicles which are more reliable

why do so many people like you don't know shit about auto and feel they need to cling onto something japanese or else they are going to be hit by some 2,000$ mystery repair bill which is always floating on the back of their mind??

lol pathetic

Those "plenty of better american vehicles" that are comparable to the Rodeo in OP get beat to shit in the harsh conditions I'm used to. They simply don't like the dust or load combined with heat.
There's a reason these Japanese vehicles flourish the world over while most American stuff is restricted to its own market.

and a cooler in the center console.

"It kinda sounds like an old sewing machine, or a type writer"

That v6 was the worst thing ever

fuck yes dude
>suzuki reliability and fun
>AWD 5 or 4 speed
>turbo kits available
>whole car goes for like 5 grand right no
this is perfect i might pick one up soon

i meant 6 speed not 4

The only available turbo kit only works on 2007-2009 5 speeds at the moment, They have a 2010-2012 6 speed kit almost ready, but they don't have the computer tuning set up, so you'd have to let them use your car as a guinea pig.

V6 Corolla? Where? Corolla's never came with a V6.

caravan has no hidden headlights

check and mate

quit arguing. All Chrysler's turbo K-cars were underrated.

>tfw let a Turbo III Daytona slip past me
And it was for a grand to boot. Fucking hell.
There's also a turbo shadow at a junker near me, the guy wants 5000€ for the thing.

The most stock riced sports car in the world. If you give a camaro more power and add a plastic chinese stancefag bodykit to it, you have a modern corvette.

those things are built like fucking garbage, replace the transmission on a AWD version and you will know true pain.

lol those things still have leaf springs and pushrods in 2016, Skylines have been on overhead cam and IRS for over 50 years

That explains why there are still millions of e30's and e36's running just fine with no major problems.

But Americans aren't used to owning cars that haven't broken down at least once every few thousand miles (except miatas and civics).

>did over 400 000km on it
>can fit a sofa, a 190/90cm mattress and other bulky items
>regularly carried over half a ton of cargo like bags of coal and building supplies, or crates of grapes, boxes of frozen produce etc.
>yet handles like a car and is economical

Now I drive a Berlingo Multispace and it's a much worse car overall.
Both try to be multipurpose, but the Berlingo barely fits more than the Picasso yet it's worse in every other way.

that's a pretty great curb weight for a van

You can see the cage in that van.

Berlingo is cheap PoS thats made for pizza deliveries. The picaso is more of a family car.

>any similarity to a jet is purely genetic
Even they weren't sure that it look like a jet.

Did they take an impreza wagon and gave it a Saab face?

>MU
I remember them having a very shallow floor for a truck
legs were almost horizontal
I might be thinking of a surf tho

If you just want a reliable DD that's good on gas and cheap to run and maintain while being practical and spacious enough for 4 people, this is probably the best choice. You can get a new one with heated seats, ac, power windows and mirrors and a stereo for under €12k.

In what way is the Flex underrated? Its a people moving crossover for the city and highway and I don't think anyone disputes that.

Or are you one of those shills that keep getting memed around here?

You're not wrong. The cab on these things is quite a low profile, and from memory I too sat quite low in mine. Wasn't really uncomfortable, just didn't feel very truck like.
Especially in comparison to the Pajeros I've since moved on to where you sit quite upright.

SUVs are shit

[citation needed]

Wow... That, that looks really good.
I might buy a vibe now. Shit, thanks user.

Eh, those are kinda pointless and lame honestly, also the backseat is a fucking joke.

Available with a 3.5L twin turbo V6 mated to an AWD drive train. It's certainly faster in a straight line than one would expect plus it has the interior ergonomics of a roomy wagon.

Yeah the 92xs are total sleepers.

DAAYYYYTOOOOONNNAAAAAAAAAA