/evn/ - English Visual Novels

We Now Return You To Your Regularly Scheduled Dead Thread edition.

Thread for discussing English language visual novels and their development.

Do you have a question about an originally-Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/87885410/bunka-no-kenkyu-revival-of-queen-leyak
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Awaiting a memo from HR for shitposting during office hours.

"use corporate approved memes next time fucko"

I just wanted to thank all the wannabe literary critics from last thread. You guys keep giving and giving.

>ephemeral, like our threads
deep, man

>WORK EVEN HARDER /evn/

UAB writer is leagues better than all the other pretentious hacks mentioned in the last thread.

Truly the best EVN writer most be the most prolific and experienced one.

Which is partly me asking because I have no idea who in the EVN world has written the most games.

is this absolute madman doing everything on a single layer? Wew.

>tfw you just discovered Frame(img, tiled=True)

Don't blame those writers, they are just doing their work. They are not responsible for the buzzword-spouting and style guide-vomiting clowns we have here.

>tfw you're a writer in the decent-to-good range

Post your "decent-to-good" writing.

Good luck implementing that UI.

Looks really easy to me?

Wow, you must be a pro.

I sit here, savoring your mongoloid attempts to babble justifications for your retarded and blighted worldviews. Your continued aversion to good writing betrays a total lack of contact with reality. I do not wish to be concerned with such tedium in future - I suggest you consider cultivating a Rich Inner Life, perhaps through a devoted study of Boethius. I do not expect that you possess the mental faculties required to comprehend his dissertations, but I am compelled to have you try, as I am ethically bound to offer my wisdom to lesser men when they so blatantly require it. You may thank me in due course.

Correction: a tryhard clown.

>renpy programmers

I am appalled that so meaningless a person dares such effrontery.

Oh, now you are just baiting.

Oh God! Don't tell me you were being serious?

This is a serious thread, for serious people, who make serious games.

>balls deep into current evn
>get idea to make a evn based off the /x/ homonculus hoax
>you play as a teenager that tries to make a homunculus from a chicken egg so he can fuck her
>ends up treating her like a daughteru instead

Do it user
But make it yuri

And yet here, adopting the self-satisfied tone of the most pedantic pedagogue, we have someone peddling pederasty in their ecstatic exultation of Unteralterbach as the divine manifestation of good writing to which us pretentious hacks should aspire. No justification is offered for this position, merely the hypocritical buzzword labeling of its ideological detractors as buzzword-spewers. Only the boundless benevolence of my god-like mind keeps me from railing against you in full fury, you cretinous philistine.

>ends up treating her like a daughteru and still fucks the shit out of her
Now we're talking

>ends up treating her like a daughteru but it's a boy and still fucks the shit out of her

I don't agree with you.

Thereby betraying your retarded and blighted worldview, and your total lack of contact with reality. Were you more aware, you might realize the astonishing lens of ignorance through which you take in the world, but alas, I fear such truth may be beyond you. I only hope that through my lengthy indictment against this century, I may be able to lead mankind to a more theological and geometric society.

I bet your writing is VERY BORING.

Who let jane austen out?

Oh, sure I wasn't serious of course. I was pretending to be retarded. Just like you, obviously. How could you not see it? You surely jest, you jesting trickster. Hidden behind multilayered sarcasm is the only way to live, right?

Am I doing it right?

Could you please move that chair just .5 m to the left? Oh, and cauldron too, I guess, so it's more in the centre.
Thanks!
It won't cost much for such a small edit, right?

Only being able to work on a project for 4 hours each week is making me focus less on overall quality and more on just pushing things out until I have enough of them.

Still trying to figure out how to write adult scenes tho.

I really like the girl, but the guy is bent very akwardly.

Are there any interesting evns coming out soon?

is queen of thieves interesting? (Probably not)

Was that by Winter Wolves?

Ladykiller in a bind.
Does it makes me gay if I like the art?

yeah

>Does it makes me gay if
yeah

What wannabe literary critics?

>user makes incredibly obvious jokeposts
>flies straight over your head
>get defensive
wew

The one who sounds like a high school English teacher waxing about symbolism, metaphors and flaws as an excuse for everything. The rest are okay, just saying what they think with their own words.

Sure, that's why he kept squabbling with that other user after I left for a while.
L A D
A
D

I'm an artist and I don't think my art looks this good but her lower part(The butt) seems to be off for me.

>I'm an artist
Post an art, an artist.

Don't make fun of me!

Those weren't excuses. They were examples of what makes Aura's writing better than average.

What do you consider to be the differences between good writing and bad writing? What do you consider to be an example of great writing, and why?

Discord channel when?

There's already a doujin with that exact premise.
He ends up fucking them anyway, of course.

why would you want to talk to those losers

Can you fuck it?

Okay, let's see. First of all, I got nothing to say about Aura. Not good, not bad. I honestly don't care. What bothers me it's the criterion you used. It looks like you had a list of things considered bad writing that you had to cross:
>heavily flawed. check. Can't be just slightly flawed and somewhat understandable/relatable, has to be heavy.
>show, don't tell. check.
and it's corollary:
>since you can't have the characters whose brain you supposedly inhabit express his own feelings openly because that's telling, I have to use metaphors and symbolism. check
These things are guidelines at best, not something that admits no exceptions and need to be preserved at any cost.

As for what I can consider good writing, it's nothing fancy like a list which takes into account the mores of a certain group of writters from a very specific time and culture. There are some formal elements which one needs to consider, but formal correction is a necessary condition for a work to be considered good, but not a sufficient one.
You can go Kafka and use long ass sentences with plenty of commas and semicolons, and it will still work regardless of being against of what they tell you in Writing 101. As long as the meat of the tale is tasty and the style you build around that quirk is consistent.
Or you can go Lovecraft. Waaa, purple prose. Yes, indeed. But he at least is coherent with it and the atmosphere of his tales stems precisely from that. You take it away and you'll have unremarkable crap. The resultig pacing is a bit slow for a 21st century reader, but you have to take into account when it was writen.
Tolstoi is slow as fuck too. Who cares about muh realism? The pacing is all over the place and not enough waifus!

I could keep going, but you get the idea: context dependency. The rules for writing a college essay don't necessarily apply to all visual novels.

Written the most games? Mikey, by an absolute landslide. After that it is Komi and Sake fighting for second.

kill

Seeing games with long wordcounts has become a turn off for me since I just don't have the time to play them anymore. I try to play a little each day, forget half the story a couple weeks in and give up. Anyone else have this problem?

Nor did anyone say that they do. It doesn't take a great deal of insight to understand that there are many different ways to write well - a quick comparison of Nabokov and Hemingway would make that obvious. The trick then is trying to understand why any given piece of writing is good, and there is no way to do that without citing specific examples. Symbolism and metaphor aren't required for good writing, but they definitely can contribute - as you say, guidelines. Aura makes use of them, and he does it well. I don't understand why you're trying to (incorrectly) extrapolate that observation to make everybody praising Aura's work seem pedantic.

Out of all the posts in this conversation, this is probably the most pretentious of the lot.

I binge on them usually. Try to get all the CGs for the characters I like and skip through the routes for the ones I don't by playing for hours and hours for a couple of days then forget it soon afterwards. That's even what I did for Boyfriend to Death, and I absolutely loved that game because muh fetish.

I wish I could, but an hour or two is the most I can manage most days.

Sprite is a placeholder, but it's what the character will look like.

bretty gud

not again

> kickstarter.com/projects/87885410/bunka-no-kenkyu-revival-of-queen-leyak

meh

I'd spunka those bunkas, if you know what I mean.

> Being this dead

so, is everyone working on stuff or what?

Where's my corporate memo now? Hahahahah.

I'm playing video games and haven't opened my project folder in two days.
might as well being on a lewd jam game because I'll clearly won't be able to finish it in two weeks. Though I don't want to be cheating scum profiteering on cheap hype.

i'm sick, playing vidya, and generally lost interest in /evn/

>writters

significant body pain

Too busy screwing.

> people play reading games
> they can't even read the OP

Sorry pal

>professional writers
>think metaphors and characterization are pretentious
Such is life in the trenches of /evn/.

SOME metaphors are pretentious, user.

You do not yet have my permission to die.

What about now ?

What are some misconceptions you had about making a game before actually doing it?

I know what a lot of others did; It gonna be easy.

Just woke up with my palm bleeding. Apparently, despite my relaxed attitude, I'm kinda stressed out with my vn and it's seeping into my subconscious. Enough that I'd have my nails digging into my palms while I'm asleep.

Fuck.

This isn't your blog fucker.
I hope you used some sort of disinfectant, don't want to get any nasty infections right?

I did. Sorry about that fampai.

Neat.

Don't worry about it, I was joking.

oh wow that's scary but kind of hardcore...

I wish I could be that hardcore, if only someone would let me.

>Googledocs continually suggests changing random words from present tense to past tense

embrace death

Not today.

LOOMIS

>make vn with choices
> hate choices
*sigh*

Hi /ic/

Hey. Don't diss the one true savior. He will help you turn your waifu into total hotties.

Manly hotties.