/mcg/ - Minecraft General - YOU LET THE THREAD DIE edition

Previous thread: → →

We discuss minecraft, minecraft packs, projects, seeds, building ideas...
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see more builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated so we can give feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here; use the list from the link below to advertise it.

>==[Links]====[News]==

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/tree-chopper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Whoops. Previous thread is here:

>always make sure to bump threads
>went to get food
i feel like this is my fault somehow

way to go user

>Better With Mods released
>1.10

who cares

just let it die lads it's no use

are zombie pigmen spawning on nether portals subject to the no spawning within 24 blocks of a player rule? maybe I'm blind but I couldn't find this info in the wiki

no

what's the deal with the thaumic bases fork? the releases pages doesn't tell much of a story, but I'm assuming its like a maintenance version?

It's less fug, menus cleaned up, buggy things trashed, I think

Barely related question: I'm playing FTB Infinity Evolved, are there any other Thaumcraft addons that are worth adding? I hear good things about Gadomancy, but what's the deal with Thaumic Bases/others?

>B-B-B-BUT FRAGMENTAN' THE COMMUNITAY!
yet another of your famous "why nobody should try to fix the problems with the standard environment" mantras. you're so fucking terrified of cracking eggs you're never going to get that omelette made.

the hard reality of things is that forge WAS good but now thanks to lex is as much the problem as anything. changing anything WILL require "fragmenting the community". it was fragmented before and nobody died from it. there WILL be drama. mostly from lex and curse shills, knowing how things go. the only way to avoid it is to avoid changing the status quo; the status quo needs to be changed. just because you're a goddamned coward doesn't mean everyone else should be.

as it is I fully expect fabric to die the first time lex throws a tantrum, because you'll be desperately trying to calm him YET AGAIN.

pls no more drama

Tidied up my cobblestone 9x9 a bit, contemplating whether the aesthetics of making a city with a building for each mod outweighs the inconvenience it's going to add to crafting literally anything.

I see. I'll pick up and try it out then.

definitely add Gadomancy to Infinity. it has a lot of useful niche items, like that crystal eye thing that monitors vis levels. pretty sure that's gadomancy anyways.

absolutely add it if you're playing meme mode. you will want to have a way to automate infusions.

As if /mcg/ would survive as a general without drama.

we need memes
or something to worship
like /egg/

Nah not playing Expert Mode. I used to play Unhinged back in the day but I've been away for too long to make any commitments like that.

what does egg worship

Mechanoeldritch force of nature.
CLANG

yes this

Do what Forge did.. be compatible with the old standard and then wait a year or two and drop support after you have a big user base.

wut

OP, it's good you made the thread, but don't copypasta the previous OP verbatim. Now the previous thread link is wrong.

CLANG

Impossible, in this case.

>yet another of your famous "why nobody should try to fix the problems with the standard environment" mantras.
Not this time. I'm just saying that the majority of /mcg/ would probably find further reasons to complain about things if any changes were to actually happen.

>changing anything WILL require "fragmenting the community".
You're the ones who want to change anything at all. I'm doing Fabric for personal enjoyment, not for catering to /mcg/. If people use Fabric, sure, that's a nice thing to have, but I'm not going to try and push it as the new Forge, because, unlike Forge, which actually has a "paid" (or, rather, getting income solely from) developer working on it, any of us may quit at any time - if we decide Minecraft isn't fun anymore. And that's liberating.

>it was fragmented before and nobody died from it.
It has always been fragmented. It's still fragmented. It's even more fragmented now. I'm just saying that even when it's fragmented between Minecraft versions alone /mcg/ starts whining about it, so I can only imagine what would happen here if loaders got into it as well.

>there WILL be drama.
Sure, and then I'm out. I'm not going to risk my mental health for virtual LEGO, it's simply not worth it when the only thing holding me here is passion.

>just because you're a goddamned coward doesn't mean everyone else should be.
Has anyone stepped up to replace Forge in the last 2.5 years? No? FyberOptic and Cuchaz were both doing it for their own personal enjoyment as well. immibis was forking Forge simply as it was too slow and his computer was a toaster. In other words, by your definition, yes, everyone in the modding community is a "goddamned coward".

(cont.)

What's the equivalent of Treecapitator for 1.10?

>mostly from lex and curse shills
Curse actually said they'd happily support Meddle if it had enough mods and users going for it to make it economically viable (or, rather, they said that they won't support Meddle until it has more mods/users). I don't think they care as long as they can keep being a community hub.

>as it is I fully expect fabric to die the first time lex throws a tantrum, because you'll be desperately trying to calm him YET AGAIN.
That's not what killed NOVA.

NOVA died because of three things:
- The community didn't care much. It was mostly finished in July and calclavia was making mods for it, but nobody else really cared.
- The worldgen issue. The API was never quite sorted out there, mostly because NOVA's goal of catering to every voxel game was overambitious (not impossible - just infeasible without any funding at all)
- calclavia got a job at a Minecraft educational company which offered to pay him to work on NOVA, but two months later they asked him to make an in-house, less insane solution instead, effectively killing the project.

The day we stop caring about the mess that is "the modding scene" and just start enjoying things again is the day drama stops being a thing. that day will never happen

No real one, since bspkrs left to work on Starmade. You may want to try VeinMiner? FyberOptic also has a pretty good equivalent, but it only works with Meddle.

>tfw u finally get the quarry bot running
never wrote a line of lua before. Really fun experience but I think I might have autism

just have fun asie.
things made by people doing it for fun tend to have a lot more spirit and are usually higher quality.
if it fails, it fails.
if it doesn't, it doesn't.

>bspkrs left to work on skubmade
what

WholeTreeAxe

>It has always been fragmented.
Errata: That's not entirely true. We /almost/ got it unified for 1.7.10, which - as you might remember - was the time the NOVA drama took place. The "fragmenting the community" argument made a lot of sense before 1.8.9 and 1.10.2 effectively did that.

>unlike Forge, which actually has a "paid" (or, rather, getting income solely from) developer working on it
(which effectively makes Lex obligated to keep working on Forge for as long as possible, giving it a sense of stability Fabric will never really have)

>just have fun asie.
Thank you. I don't hear that often.

>things made by people doing it for fun tend to have a lot more spirit and are usually higher quality.
They are also a lot less reliable as to schedules, as "fun" is very fragile. This is why we keep warning people to not treat Fabric as the new holy grail modding API - I mean, I'm only in it because I want to make my total conversion mod thing without having to deal with the Forge mess. The other members of the core team have a similar philosophy - they're mod makers who are tired of dealing with the Forge mess and just want to make mods away from the "scene" and all associated drama/pain.

>what
He's one of the main devs.

I'm really spamming /mcg/ today, it appears.

>They are also a lot less reliable as to schedules
To clarify - one of the things I want to get working on as soon as I buy - and decide on - a new keyboard, as well as reinstall my server, is to set up a wiki documenting all the internal procedures for Fabric - most notably, mapping maintenance, as the rest is fairly straightforward. This is so that, in the event of my disappearance, anyone can take it up - and if nobody does, was it really that important to begin with?

>is to set up a wiki documenting all the internal procedures for Fabric

youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

There's not that many of them. I can only really think of one right now.

The mapping update mostly involves generating "merged" JARs (Minecraft uses the same obfuscated names on the client and server, but omits certain classes, fields and methods) manually with blending-jar (to be renamed patchouli as it's becoming more of a patching toolkit) and then using an eight-step process with the Enigma command line to actually remap the mappings.

Tree Chopper is pretty reliable in my experience.

minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/tree-chopper

gosh I'm glad the smart people are handling this part because I only got about a fifth of that.

>to be renamed patchouli

Don't take any mods, please.

Feel free to ask questions - I'll try my best to answer them when I wake up.

So I'm not really a regular, but why is TiCon considered overpowered?

One user hates it because it makes all vanilla style tools irrelevent, which is kind of it's point, but with stuff like extraTiC you can get pretty insane.
I was thinking maybe you could make it so it retrieves the durabilities and whatnot of the tools automatically during startup so that is literally the exact same as the vanilla style tools except not shit. Maybe add some of the features of iguanatweaks, like replacing parts.
But it makes vanilla style tools and enchanting irrelevant, which is its purpose, but is really minmaxable to the point of being stupid.

Because the tools are straight up better than 90% of modded tools, rendering the others redundant. Hammers are too good too imho.

If you decide to do a Tinker-less or Less-tinker run/pack There are a few "Vanilla" alternatives to the Hammers, and there is a decent modular drill mod in both Super Multidrills and Actually Shitditions which you can get 3x3 and in AA's case 5x5

Well, what do you expect from modded stuff?

IE's drill does it best in my opinion. Uses resources non trivially and requires infrastructure that prevents resource management from becoming an abstract concept within the first hour.

Eh. I just want a non tinker tool that does 3x3, pretty early. Building becomes MUCH faster.

Well what other mod adds tools that TiCon 'competes' with? I admit the Lumber Axe and Hammer are goat but my IE2 Drill is still my go to.

Hammerz, with Enchanting Plus. A reasonable hammer is an steel one with some good ass enchantments.

I like that you use metal blocks instead of wood for the edges of the builds. But I would suggest depth so it doesnt look like a plain wall.

Would do you think I should add for that depth?

>community didn't care much
which can't have had anything to do with certain voices going on about sticking with forge and not making waves, nope nope.

you constantly absolve yourself of everything you fuck up. it must be nice to be that narcissistic. no wonder lex hates you, the two of you are alike in that regard.

>I'm only in it for my one mod plan
which is to say that when you get bored of it you'll wander off and make sure to fuck shit up enough that they can't go on without you. clever.

okay, so. in Forge, to load a mod, you need the @Mod declaration with attritbutes to give it, an @Mod.Instance, preferably @SidedProxy assigned and you need to handle:
- FMLPreInit, FMLInit, FMLPostInit
events, and within those you register whatever your mod adds.

Fabric's template mod only has an @Init with init() method. it seems to be called very early on in startup, but I have literally no idea how the modloader actually works or when things happen in the process.

How does this process happen within Fabric? if I add blocks--which should be pretty simple--how would I register them and when would I do that in init()?
or is that part of the modloader still in-dev?

oh, here's one. How much "centralization" are you going to do? by this I mean things like OreDictionary. is that going to be part of Fabric or would that be left to modders?

this also I guess is a good time to bring up how you are handling rendering, if at all?
what I'm concerned with is if I have to dredge up four books from ten years ago about rendering quads and learn how to interpret forty lines of math, or if I can just tell the loader "render this .obj model". I understand it might be impossible to make it simple because Minecraft's rendering isn't simple. as long as I can into trains and cool shit that's fine.
I don't know anything about how JSON took over textures and models in 1.8+ but if its simpler than agonizing over OpenGL that's fine with me.

I think any other questions I'd have would be more directed to creating mods instead of inquiring about Fabric, so, one last thing;

buildcraft port/clone for fabric y/n

>ender quarry gets stuck after mining a dense ore
>look at its NBT
>it has a stack of zero items
>look at its source code
>if it has a stack of zero items, it will never remove them and continue mining

Nice. I still have no idea how it got a stack of zero items to begin with.

>vanilla-style
that is not to say that vanilla's own tools should be relevant.

however, ticon being present shouldn't make it so that only ticon-style tools can be relevant. especially since ticon's style inherently leads to broken-as-fuck MAWPC shit the likes of which should be sending this thread into massive fits.

good thing there's mods that provide hammers without ticon's bustedness.

>IE's drill is best because it's a burden to use
no, fuck you. tools should neither be broken or so costly to use that you'd be better off without them.

t. quarryfag

>Would do you think I should add for that depth?
>whatdidhemeanbythis.png
Seriously, just by putting the metal block a block further, not in front but like pic related (dont have the game on lap and laps mousepad is a shiet).
Also, you better post your whole base sometime faggot.

I see what you mean, but extending it out a whole 'nother block seems excessive. I may panel some microblocks on it to give it the illusion though.

Also dumping base.

it doesn't have 'competition'. TiCon adds a wide toolset and deletes Minecraft's RNG-based enchantment for a completely customizable system directly operated by player input.
which is such a fucking obvious mechanic its shameful vanilla had RNG controlling enchanting for as long as it did.

no mod adds a way for you to make a decently-quick hammer-like tool that has something like 12k durability with little resource requirement. you need maybe a stack of redstone and some steel. an emerald if you want silk touch.
>inb4 but user there's this other mod that does literally that you stupid bitch
point me to it then, queerbait

other mods don't add things like that. if they do, it doesn't "compete" with TiCon, it overrules it by adding something 'better'.or it just doesn't perform or have enough variability that people want the thing.
or mods just add Yet Another Pickaxe. Thaumcraft adds Thaumium/Voidium?/ToolType+Magic tools, and a mining focus for the wand. The Thaumium tools naturally are just 'slightly better than iron but the same thing'. the infused tools have neat effects but are either niche usage--the Hoe of Growth--or don't compete, being the smelting pickaxe and the axe of the stream; Auto-smelt (which is a stupid effect) and Lumber axes exist and are BETTER than these tools simply by virtue of having more variability and choice.

buttania adds the terrasteel whatever thing. after making terrasteel, making the thing, and charging it for an eternity, you can use it. its far and away better, but you have to charge it forever.

IE's mining drill is okay. you have to lug batteries around for it. same with any other powered drill. it requires power and you generally have to lug more power with it. you don't have to lug more power around with a purple hammer that has moss and ~24k durability

tl;dr if people want TiCon to stop being at 'the top' of tools, make something that directly competes with its mechanics.

Really if they dont like the Overpowered parts of Tinker there are many and several ways to nerf them like recipe changes and disabling/ changing some of the mechanics of the mod, or simply dont use dem MAUPICI things.

What does that machines does?

From left to right:

Metal Press
Assembler
A dressed-up Rolling Machine.

Anyway, the workaround is to use an extractor module, because apparently the quarry only gets stuck when ejecting an item into a chest that already has some of that item.

Can you be more specific?
Want to try some automatization with IE just for the looks so I want to know what it does and how.

>that distant wall of caches and pipe insanity
sweet merciful CLANG.

Metal press presses ingots into shapes. There are a few different ones you can use.

Assembler makes stuff from normal crafting grids. Also it can input liquids to use and use parts from previous steps in the following ones. Just feed raw materials in one side and out it comes from the other.

>that model/texture insanity going on in the press

Yeah, that's a glitch with the texture pack I'm using. Looks fine on vanilla.

>manually operated metal press

Watch your fingers!

Actually powered by RF. just drop the ingots on the belt on one end.

>drop the ingots on the belt

The belt on the metal press supports item automation and can have items inserted by hoppers, pipes, etc.

I know that. That's how most of my systems are working.

I was wondering how you were automating that but then I realized you are not, are you?

>drop
>the
>ingots
>on
>the
>belt

Not at the moment. This is the latest build I've finished so I'm still working on getting everything inside fully automated.

No bully. :(

That solves a lot of questions, usually when seeing peoples builds of autism automated machines with IE they look really saturated with all the wires and constrasting colors of the things. Which makes them look bigger and way more complex than they actually are.

honk honk

Reworking!

Since I have decided to go Wild West era on my builds, I've decided to tear down my fantasy-inspired build and replace it with something fitting to the period. The building in white was by Buttania setup, with a pork mana reactor, and a shack at the back where most crafting happens, except for the Pure Daisy and Petal Apothecary, which is in the domed building in the picture.

The brick building is the fire-proof shell for my spawner mob system consisting of a spawner for witches, blazes and zombies. (The sole reason for the fireproofing is the Jolt, a Blaze variant which teleports and causes lightning strikes.) I'm trying for a nondescript factory building style for it. Eventually, the domed building will be replaced by a general store, with an easy access to the mob system itself.

doesnt look really wild wst

I'm struggling with the fact that you can't be Wild West without going full wood on anything, and I've already had instances of buildings going half-gone after a stray Jolt spit fire, missed and hit one of the wood buildings I made.

Natura does have some fireproof woods, but they look terrible.

I was considering relocating the Blaze spawner back to the Nether to rid me of that problem, but I don't really like to spend a lot of time there, especially since I got most of the Nether essentials.

hard clay, chisel brick. Just use wood on the not on danger of fire.

Also: sandybrick, sandstone, chisel endstone, etc.

Will give Sandy Brick a try. I've gotten sick of sandstone builds on deserts.

Tc and in traincraft?
Please, I want to believe

That's right. They have "ran out of Game-Breaking bugs" and "finally entered Closed-Beta-Stage"

Is there a possibility a release comes out in a week or two, how much time do you expect to be?

Afraid I don't know that much. But they have been working on it pretty diligently.

I dont like it, but Im getting really hyped about it, just imagine all the cool things you can do with trains.

I'm hyped too.

I'll post updates here whenever I see something noteworthy.

not dying just yet

And now I'm not sure that Sandy Brick works well.

Have there been any new jap mods for 1.10?