Hey Veeky Forums I am having some problems with my 1998 Ford Explorer...

Hey Veeky Forums I am having some problems with my 1998 Ford Explorer. Recently my battery light has started coming on and originally it would if I was under 2000 RPMs, I replaced the battery and the light still comes on under 1200 RPMS, my battery gauge is all the way down. Im assuming this is either a bad alternator or bad wiring, can anyone give advice?

All you had to do was get the system tested at a parts place for free. Your battery could've been fine. It's probably the alternator

I didn't do anything about it for a while so battery was dead at home so I had to get a new one to get it moving

I can't believe people still replace their battery when they see the battery light on like its some sort of maintenance minder telling you to change it. The battery light indicates a CHARGING SYSTEM FAILURE meaning your alternator is dead. Way to waste money on anew battery that you killed fucking retard.

I put it on a charger and it didnt charge at all so I thought it was the battery

Alternator voltage regulator, a $25 part. Don't replace the whole alternator.

>Don't replace the whole alternator.
Its always better to just replace the whole thing, unless that fucker is almost brand new

or poor

Some alternators are $40, some are $800
Depends on the model. If you want to throw away $800, I'll give you my PayPal account number.

>Hey Veeky Forums I am having some problems with my 1998 Ford Explorer.

Stopped reading there. You don't say!?

Because the alternator fucking drained it

Don't talk back in that tone kid. Just don't. You don't know where you are.

>alternator draining a battery
Nigga wat. The car drains the battery, the alternator refills it.

A bad one drains it you cuck

/thread

fuk u

Because a non functioning alternator draws current how? Please explain this to us. We'll wait.

Confirmed for never owning a godtier explorer

This, ford made a V8 5.0L AWD explorer in 98

Alternator. I had that car. Don't pay anybody to change it, do it yourself. It is so fucking easy even if you have never changed your oil. Right on top in the front. Youtube it. Unplug battery, loosen belt, unplug alternator, take off 3 bolts, done. Install new one in reverse and you're good.

Hey pepsifag what are you rockin now? I'm in the market for something like an Explorer or Ranger... Something that's cheap and fairly reliable that can carry fishing gear and a yak. And possibly haul a boat in the future.

I have an Escape. It's shitty. Gets good gas mileage and is pretty spacious, but it is just a boring car. I had a 97 Explorer and drove an 06 Explorer a bit in the past, both were 4.0L V6.

The 97 I drove up to 170k miles and the only things I ever really had to do were wheel bearings, and O2 sensor, and an alternator. That car was a champ. Could've used some new bushings and shit in the suspension by that age though, got a littlle boat-like.

The 06 I towed muh Jet Skis with a lot. But got rid of that thing before it even hit 100k so no real issues on that.

Those 4.0s liked to guzzle gas though. Like 14mpg combined if you don't beat on it in the city.

Grand Cherokees are always great too as long as you don't mind random Chrysler shit breaking on you. But the drivetrains are good. Just remember to really test out the 4WD when you buy an older SUV or truck. Sometimes people never test it when they buy a car in the summer and when winter comes and they want to use it, it just makes horrible noises.

Alternator most likely
Test battery then replace alternator if necessary

>what are bad diotes

I know it. I had a 95 4.0 4x4 and a 97 5.0 awd mountaingoat. Sold the goat with 260000 miles and the dude still drives it around. He even drove it on a 3000 mile road trip

Going to replace the alternator, a new one only costs about 80 bucks, a lot less then I thought it would be

I guarantee that's the problem. Same exact thing happened to my Exploder at like 130k. Wouldn't start, got a new battery, started it and the voltmeter was real low and the battery light was on unless I revved it above 2k or more. Took like 20min to replace the alternator and it was all good.

It didn't charge because the charger didn't detect any trace of a charge.

You have to jump a completely flat battery.

I tried jumping it too with a running car and it didnt work either, didnt even start

this one is at 270k so I think ive done well