Why would you purchase a car worth more than 5% of your income? Isn't that a bit too irresponsible...

Why would you purchase a car worth more than 5% of your income? Isn't that a bit too irresponsible? Is this the american mentality?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_income
financialsamurai.com/the-110th-rule-for-car-buying-everyone-must-follow/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mine was 5.3% of my income. Come at me

Mine was infinitely larger than my income. Parents. Thank you.

I made 30k a year and bought a car for 5k, so what

im going to buy an s2000 for 9000 bucks by taking out a bank loan for the 5k and using 4k i saved up. software developer as a coop student would i get a good rate?

Because most americans 5% of our income can't buy anything other than a geo-metro.

Sorry we don't got euro diggery doo jobs.

the hell are you talking about? my friend isn't even done college and he makes 1800 per paycheck doing literally nothing. he's going to be making double when he gets his cert. it's hilarious and frustrating.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage

5% of my yearly income is around 300 bucks, I can't even purchase a car here for that much lol.
Easter Europe sucks.

What if I puchase a vehicle for 20% of my annual income and drive it for 10+ years?

T. Diesel Eurocuck

Because I like cars, just like people who like good food will spend more than $5 on a meal and people who like to dress well won't run around in Walmart sweatpants.

>be European
>buy 1.3l diesel hatchback for 5% of your income
>30% of your income goes to taxes on it, insuring it, fuel, and mandatory donation to the Muslim automotive stipend

>average
If 99 people earn $10,000 each and one person earns $1,000,000; the average is $19,900. Very representative.

No, but a 5k loan isn't that bad.

But you should probably buy cars under 10k outright.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_income
Wow it's so different!

>I'm going to spend my entire money and still borrow more than I own
Sounds like a great plan, champ.

>a 2.0 litre engine is considered "Massive" in europe

>tfw my mx5 has a massive engine

No its not.

It is. The average household income in the US is $52,000; the median household income is $43,500. That's an 18% difference.

>Americans still haven't figured out how to propel themselves with less than 200 cubic Washington wigs or 3 liters

>tfw make 20k/yr and own a 20k car

I make poor life choices but I'm still pretty happy.

Did you not read the article, or are you just ignoring the info/sources because you are wrong? Either way the relevant part to this thread is the average income vs. other countries.

It's a hobby. 30 and never had a gf. Why the fuck wouldn't I buy a corvette when I add 1.5k to my savings each month only making 35k living alone?

There is nothing in my life, so I'll do something about it. I already have a reliable dd.

>tfw your next car will cost you an annual wage but it'll be perfectly alright because you have two annual wages saved up and your ongoing costs reach nowhere close to your income

Do you like to completely fuck up arguments by presenting your bullshit as the truth? It's a well known fact in statistics that medians draw a much more accurate picture about the majority of the data set than the average because the average can be far more easily skewed by unusual extremes.

Ok? What is your point? What "bullshit" did I present as the truth?

>Ok? What is your point? What "bullshit" did I present as the truth?
>implying you're not gay

Your indirect argument that Americans could afford more than a Geo Metro even with a 5% rule is correct, but your supporting information in the form of averages is completely meaningless because as I said averages are easily skewed.

>not spending his 80% saving on cars
>post on Veeky Forums

>need to make 2mil a year before buying a porsche

>tfw spending nearly 75% on car

You're implying I give a shit about any other hobbies

lol my car is 2/3 my total income because its financed and not driven its value doesnt really change much tho the way i see it is its a better store of wealth then any bank

kek no it's just the normal size

>5 inch dick is considered massive in americlap

>hobbies
>bills

Spotted the kid.

>a 2.0 litre engine is is considered "normal" in europe

income over what period of time? 36 month lease? 48 month loan? 72 month loan? 1 month? 1 year?

You can't always be responsible.

>anything above this arbitrary number I decided on is irresponsible

I make just over $100k a year and I'm about to drop $49k on a new truck.

Given I've saved-up for this, and have my finances in order I'm able to afford it. Not only that, but I have a prescription for it due to soft ride, ride height, and interior needs that I'm not going to have to pay tax and title for it.

I spent 45k on a 50 year old muscle car and my income is 23k/year.

Have an appraisal at 75k and a cash offer from someone for 65k.

Here in eastern europe 1.6 16V 100 HP engine was considered "normal" for a golf sized class which was considered the normal size for cars. Now 1.2 TSI engine is a normal engine which has the same HP but better torque at low rpm than 1.6 N/A, but it's not exactly fast. High class clars have 2.0 TDI diesel engines. Anything with more than 4 cylinders is exotic.

Paid about 2.5% for mine

How in the fuck were you approved for that loan?

Lets see. $8800 in 1979. Still runs fine. I've made about $3,000,000 since then. That's 0.29%

My parents bought me a car in high school

What the fuck are you doing on Veeky Forums, gramps?

tfw every car is over 5% of my income

Kicking young punk ass.

Fucking boomers. Always putting us down.

I make $12,000 and spent $2000 on a Grand Marquis.

because most cars for $750 are complete pieces of shit

I think this is where it came from:
financialsamurai.com/the-110th-rule-for-car-buying-everyone-must-follow/

>getting a loan for pre owned
holy fucking shit

Build up credit

Its makes sense if the car appreciates

>Needing to make 400k a year for a mustang even though poor people own them

have to make over 200k before you can buy a Toyota Prius and over 100k before you can buy anything new. If everyone followed those rules there wouldn't be any cars available to buy.

i feel like this entire page is dedicated to that uber driver sign up link.