I've got a bad catalytic conv that rattles and sounds like hell when I drive...

I've got a bad catalytic conv that rattles and sounds like hell when I drive. I'm not going to spend the money on a new one so I'll just be chopping it off and replacing it with a pipe keeping everything else stock.

Will doing this make my car sound like a ricer fart cannon? I just want it to be quiet.

What kind of pipe are you replacing with? Make sure its of the same material and similar type of welding is used.

It will be slightly louder and probably set off your CEL because the upstream and downstream O2 sensors will be getting too similar of readings.

>Will doing this make my car sound like a ricer fart cannon? I just want it to be quiet.
If you keep your muffler, no.

Yes

cat deletes usually make your car sound like shit unless you have a good axle back

just weld in a resonator instead

I saw there was a way to "trick" the downstream sensor into giving a different reading so you don't get a CEL for that reason.

Sound will depend on your engine OP. If you're driving a v8 it'll likely sound better, v6 will just be a bit louder, maybe not in a good way, and a 4 cylinder will sound like an air horn connected to a vuvuzela

There are a variety spacers and chips you can get to simulate the correct readings. Some will work better on your car than others. I'd just search some forums and see what other people with the same car have had luck with.

fix it properly or kill yourself.

>my cat rattles when I drive so I'm assuming its bad
Probably the heat shield around the cat that's bad not the cat itself retard

Came here to say this. Just rip that fucker off. Or let it rattle long enough that it just falls off while you are driving down the highway.

if you still have your muffler then it should only be marginally louder than what it is now, but without rattles and maybe alittle more popping and power

this. my heatsheild on my cat in my integra would rattle like a mother fucker when i drove. i removed the portion closest to the bottom of the vehicle becuase the part the was facing the ground wasnt rattling. then one day i was driving home from work at night time on the highway and the portion faceing the ground broke loose and started scraping against the freeway leaving sparks everywhere until it broke off. i kept driving and didnt look back lol

yank it out OP, the crackles and pops on downshifts alone are worth it

It can be that, but also some cats rattle as they fail as well. However it's more distinct and less metallic sounding than a heat shield if that makes sense

This. I put a larger down pipe with a cat delete on my car. I purchased an "O2 simulator" from the same company. It just plugges right in and tricks it into thinking there is a cat.

OP here, my cat is bad but heatshields are fine.

Not OP but I wish I could in my state. Fucking prohibitave semi-yearly emissions testing.

I'm running a gutted cat and all it did was add some base to the exhaust. The empty cat chamber expands the exhaust a little so might do things for your engine's breathing but it'll definitely add base to your exhaust.

Also, it made my car spit flames and shit and send cunts diving for cover with afterfire which is awesome

semi yearly? what the fuck

When the cat in my old shitbox shat the bed unbolted the pipe that had the cat installed in, cut a window in the top of the cat and hammered then tipped the content out and put the window back in and welded it shut. Re-installed the pipe and no worries, cant even tell the cat has been altered. Did sound slightly different but not loud in any way.
The shitbox only had a O2 sensor before the cat, none after so ran no problems.