What are some good, Veeky Forums approved documentaries to watch that aren't completely full of stupid bullshit...

What are some good, Veeky Forums approved documentaries to watch that aren't completely full of stupid bullshit? Any and all subjects welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

thegreatcourses.co.uk/
torrentproject.se/?t=TTC
youtube.com/watch?v=5bVEXZ38Vs8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

>What are some good, Veeky Forums approved documentaries to watch that aren't completely full of stupid bullshit? Any and all subjects welcome
Fuck off.

>I want to learn about history
>fuck b00kz breh
>gimmie made for profit visual medium

Actually I just wanted something to watch over dinner, but if you want to be a pretentious cunt, by all means, go right ahead.

>Actually I just wanted something to watch over dinner, but if you want to be a pretentious cunt, by all means, go right ahead.
I will, fuck off.

>""""""Learning""""""" while stuffing your face with KFC

Thanks for proving my point.

>you can't read and eat

I don't have a public library in my house, no. And I'm not looking to immerse myself deeply in a subject either, so much as to have something entertaining that actual pertains to reality and may interest me to look into something new.

Besides I'm a messy eater and I hate getting crumbs in my books.

Honestly the guy comes off a little elitist but he's completely correct, documentaries are fucking dogshit when it comes to learning. The only value in documentary is if it has a ton of original footage and documentaries about pre-19th century events don't even have that.

I know they're usually little better than the shit you find on history channel, just wondered if there were any that actually have some worth to them Veeky Forums knew of. Usually I watch these things I usually go to dig into the facts of the matter in depth if it's at all interesting. Like I said though I'm mostly looking just for something that's entertaining and not just utterly frivolous bullshit, not to expand my mind.

Ken Burns' stuff is pretty good, though outside of The Great War it tends to be more like a radio show with pictures.

>Actually I just wanted something to watch over dinner
Open a book/pdf in one hand and hold the fork in the other.

Labor documentaries? Umm Harlan County USA was on HULU last time I watched it. There is also another good one of the the migrant harvest in the 40states or 50s. Can't think of the name right now though but watched it on YouTube a year or two ago.

Anything by Adam Curtis

Watch some Great Courses

basically college-level courses on a wide range of subjects by academics

They do them as videos or audios, get the videos if you want documentary style

thegreatcourses.co.uk/

torrentproject.se/?t=TTC

Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party

complete hack. a pseudo-debord

indochine: A People's War in Colour
The great war 1964
Death of Yugoslavia
Labour - Cast Into The Wilderness

First kill

Based Ken's Civilisation's pretty good, as is that BBC one from the 80s, the Cold War. By and large BBC ones are allrightish, most US ones tend to be either flashy and banile or serious looking but with deep flaws and issues.

youtube.com/watch?v=5bVEXZ38Vs8

im with you man and do the same shit.

He doesnt understand what background noise is

I like listening to books or good documentaries when im busy doing menial things around the house or other shit like eating/vidya games/reading related books.

I found the documentary "Best of Eemies" on Netflix pretty damn interesting, OP. Battle of the minds between Gore Vidal and Buckley Jr.

Most books, academic or not, are also made for profit.

Shaka Zulu is great. It really isn't biased as a narrative, only the characters are biased. Which is why I love it as a historical miniseries

Ken Burns is always a good choice for documentaries, though some of his stuff is basically a podcast with pictures. I highly recommend The Civil War, and I'm really looking forwards to his documentaries on Vietnam and Hemingway.

The World at War. Be sure to also watch the additional episodes that have the cut content and the Making Of special feature. Sadly the Bluray remaster doesn't restore the original aspect ratio. But that said. It's a amazing series and is probably the gold standard for WWII documentaries. You'll have Arthur Harris talking about "we knew we hit the ball bearing plants but we weren't sure how bad we hit them" and then they cut to Albert Speer going "they hit us really bad."

I've heard Soviet Storm is good but omits mention of Russian war crimes or Lend Lease, likely due to the return of national chauvinism in Russia. Can't imagine something like it would be made post-2014 though.