The Goldilocks Zone

The best cars are from this era. 1996 gave us standard OBD2, passenger airbags, air conditioning, and the start of better safety in general. 2002 was the mean time for the end of our favorite cars (Supra, E39/38/46, R34, most coupes in general, first gen WRX, etc.), the birth of modern pigfat, and the tidal wave of SUVs taking over the roads. Agree/Disagree?

Couldn't agree more. Add this to the list of great cars ended in 2002.

But the SL has always been good. Even now.

It is also great for cars that transcend the 1996 barrier like the M3 because you can swap parts between the two and get the best of both.

i highly aree with you and this is the reason all 5 of my cars are from 85 to 96.

i dont give a shit about tech in a car other than OBD2. all i want is to have fun when im driving, and feel connected to the car, like im the one actually doing the work. not the computer.

im a big fan of manual steering, manual gearbox, and maybe a radio, depending on what kind of driving im doing.

As much as I prefer the 80s wedge era for it's bat-shit schizophrenic variety, I can't disagree with your logic. 1996-2001 has the best ratio of quality/excitement.

96 was just OBD2 being forced in the US/Can markets, it didn't hit Japan and Eurp until '02.

That's what created your discrepancy

Also, pigfat SUVs are just a consequence of the Cherokee, Exploder, and 4Runner selling so well in the 80s and 90s.

The real root of this "goldilocks" zone is when depreciation falls far enough, and the cars are still in their usable service lifetimes, a constantly moving zone. I'm interested in how this zone moves going into the near future when current safety mandates and efficiency mandates are set and known. Hopefully manufacturers have time to capitalize on investments on platforms and engines without having to redesign for regulations or messy economic climates all the time.

For example, cars from the mid 70s were always regarded as shit because manufacturers were constantly having to redesign and update shit while emissions and safety regulations were stepped forward AND the US's recessions confused both sides of the market.
These splotches of shit worry me more than the modern strawmen of pigfat because safety and technology/infotainment because consumer demand.

goodnight sweet prince

I think i started this meme earlier in a shitpost thread..
Agreed, new cars are too fucking fat with too much electronic bullshit infotainment gps safety bubbles etc

manual rwd lightweight is all u need

>slower than a civic

I'll never understand the 3 series after the e46. How did they pass this off in the design studio???

Puke pile pule puke puke puke.

figured id post one of my 1996 cars instead to make it relevant

You've posted that like 6000 times now in the hope you will eventually annoy someone
no one cares

and 30k cheaper.

>2002 was the end of our favorite cars and the birth of modern pigfat, and the tidal wave of SUVs taking over the roads.
Ahem.

What's the weight on those?

>2002 was the end
Not quite. It was a low point, though. The 90's are over.

>this assmad

>RWD
no thanks

Fucking obnoxiously heavy
Its the size of a civic, no reason for it to be so awful

Syaro or Sharo?

>comparing a Mustang to a Corvette
Top tard GM assmad

Mmmm sexy rear quarters. Would love to do mine like that

Stop defending your inability to afford a new car.

And airbags, of course, because I don't want my face or my passenger's face smashed in in case of impact, or the fireman's hands blown off if I flip it.

are you a car enthusiast or not

I own a 16 Tacoma and a 99 LS400.