/edg/scg/ - Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous General #37

Previous thread: Welcome to the merged general of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen.

Gamescom info:
community.elitedangerous.com/eventseason16
heise.de/newsticker/bilderstrecke/bilderstrecke_3298445.html?back=3298273
gamestar.hu/gamescom/elite-dangerous-horizons-2-2-guardians-update-gamescom-2016-frissites-ujdonsagok-215519.html
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos

Gamescom info:
robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15451-Gamescom-2016-Details
youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg

>2.5 LIVE btw
Referral code randomize:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WNKNAuruiI1p5XGPjtVi_uwi8wPmuEYawOKQuhRXfdw/edit#gid=953337098

If it doesn't have a general, post it here; just don't get upset about sharing. If it DOES have a general, please go. We don't need your baggage.
Above is a pastebin of games you can play while waiting for SC and E:D to become playable.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamestar.de/videos/klartext-zu-star-citizen-wird-star-citizen-ein-gutes-spiel,90156.html
youtu.be/Tx1kMbC8ZxE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Best Ship

Well it's the only similar sized ship so far.

Second for we have Firefly, can we finally have Bebop too?

fuck off animefags

The Carrack

The Starfarer

best ship

>not the legomen version

>I don't want sea-spacecraft
You have shit taste.

>Starfarer
Pretty sure that's what I said.

Sorry, someone deleted the post you linked to

If only there was a ship that looked like this..

Oh.

Posting what I consider to be the best 3 SC modder ship designs.

Fight me faggots

you used the wrong image bro

Racecraft?

Yes. Consolidated Outland racer. Has a fighter config with 4 S1 guns.

Destroyer mentioned last thread.

Looks neat, if only because I like the long front.

Intakes are a little funky but this is a solid concept. Game definitely more RSI ships, and more fighters with internal space.

We're getting planets with water, we damn sure better get space boats.

>CIG makes a pocket carrier with a hangar bay around the size of pic related
How broken would it be?

>all the ships in SC are ugly and overdesigned as fuck

>implying any of us has enough friends to operate a pocket carrier with that many fighters

>opinions

What, in your opinion is a good looking scifi ship?

I'm not shitting on you, just curious.

>he doesn't have 4 friends to launch Aurora raids with

I like them in their universe, I also like E:D simple designs in their universe. I think they both fit different aesthetics, thankfully I can enjoy both.

>>all the ships in SC are ugly and overdesigned as fuck

>he doesn't have 4 friends

I look at it like, Star Citizen = Star Wars and Elite: Dangerous = Star Trek.

It would be broken as hell.

>each slot can hold 4 m50s
>6 slots
>24 m50s
>each squadron of 4 m50s has 1 real player to command them, who are under command of the carrier itself

It would become the meta before it's even out. Or alternatively, if each slot can hold 2 gladiators, have 6 gladiators and 12 m50s. Now you can harass any fighters and also fuck up medium-large ships.

Reminder that Derek Smart's response to Gamestar was that they're using "german drivers" which is why it crashes

and

and, and

and people actually take this utter retard seriously

It wouldn't be six slots, each slot is one ship layout example. Bigger ships would need bigger tools, ammos and spare parts in the hangar therefore reducing the number of ships you can put in one hangar even if they fit.

>"german drivers"

no

Star Citizen = Star Citizen. Elite Dangerous = Elite Dangerous. Star Wars = Star wars, etc.

A ship designed to be a pocket carrier that can only carry 2 SH sized ships would be useless. The Idris fills that role and more.

That makes sense though, if you're using German drivers the game has to translate actions from English to German. That's why they're called programming languages.

>Objective fact

All the ships in SC seem to have all this unnecessary shit hanging off of them, also most of them suffer from "space plane" design.

The ships in Elite have a much more sleek design that makes more sense. They look more believable.

>SQ42 confirmed for coming out in 2017

Aww.. :(

Source: recent video from Gamestar chef editor Michael Graf, where CR told him in an interview just that. Not a mistake either like Graf says in the comments of the video.

Not unexpected, but still.

Didn't see the new thread

Nobody cares about your opinions. I'm sorry you can't enjoy both design philosophies.

Proofs link

I was making a comparison to the ship styles.

Star Citizens ships are more lived in and tend to be built rugged like Star Wars.

Elite has sleep futuristic stuff in it like Star Trek.

That's kinda what I thought. But luckily we have both games to enjoy and your opinion is just as valid as mine.

All of EDs ships are dull and fucking boring shapes with no variation or detail.

>things we already knew
Star Citizen proper won't be out till like 2019 you realize, right?

It would be a ship the size of an 890Jump or a Carrack with twice the capacity of a Javelin.

gamestar.de/videos/klartext-zu-star-citizen-wird-star-citizen-ein-gutes-spiel,90156.html

If you can't into German you're fucked, but Google translate helps with the comments.

They're designed to be realistic and believable

SC ships look like somebody just took a bunch of different plane wings and smushed them together to make some kind of ugly space hulk.

SC and S42 are having separate release dates, so mentioning Star Citizen is pointless to this particular aspect of the game as a whole.

Anyone who honestly believed it was coming out this year needs to be hanged.

Why didn't you respond to my comment, bro? Why do you harbor such intense hate for ship designs that need not affect you in any way?

Apparently plebbit has a translation

Elite's ships look like that because very first Elite had actual triangles for ships because hardware at the time couldn't render anything more than that.. Those designs have nothing to do with realism and everything to do with the game's legacy.

>>Objective fact
>fact

boo hoo

someone doesn't like thing

so I crashed into a station with my corvette fully loaded with low temp diamonds

damn these germans take games seriously

I'd argue that SC ships look like 50's sci fi, space planes with rocket pods and everything needs to be manned, while ED ships look like 80's sci fi, space shuttles which still have windows but there's remotely operated equipment.

The main thing I like about ED is that the thrusters are inside the hulls, which means that the ships can be maintained while out in space. Thrusters in engine pods hanging off wings means the ships need to land somewhere and have a spaceport maintenace crew fix it.

You could also EVA fix.

Aerodynamic shapes like triangles are a better design for doing something like entering a planets atmosphere.

Half the ships in SC would Blow up/Burn up if they tried Reentry because they have all these unnecessary extra wings and doodad shit hanging off them in every direction, slowing them down and causing drag.

>hope for next year

fug that's a bit disappointing

>boataconda
>observation deck underwater is basically a gian aquarium

WANT

oh wait I have 3

Yeah, space plane designs, so unrealistic, lol

No like those space triangles that look like real actual spacecraft we use today!

>the game with space legs has to "land" to fix things

I dunno, man

And yet which design would be better for atmospheric flight after re-entry? check & m8.

Is the 2.5 patch really 25GB?
the launcher is version 2.4.7 (bottom left) but I'm not sure if that is launcher or game version.

I'm worried I'm reinstalling the game, how the fuck is grimhex and some small code additions 90% of the size of the entire game beforehand?

it's always like that

the patcher downloads huge chunks and if anything changes the whole thing is redownloaded

they say because cryengine builds things that way

Cool space plane

Zeus is best ship.

The game says a new launcher version is available when I open it up and restarting should fix this, but it doesnt

idk try restarted it

2.4.8 is the current launcher version

the game version is called client version 2.5.0

>Star Citizen's ships look like that because very first Wing Commander had actual plane sprites for ships because hardware at the time couldn't render anything more than that.. Those designs have nothing to do with realism and everything to do with the game's legacy.
Reminder that in the original wing commander, even the capital ships had wings. Everything was a space plane. everything.

well considering that SC ships wouldn't even survive reentry to begin with thats kind of a moot point.

For what it's worth, and as much as I loved them, the shuttles were a terrible idea.

fixed it with CIGpatcher in the game directory application
the command prompt one

So why the fuck are you complaining about it then? If they've always been space planes then being pissed about Roberts continuing to make space planes is as dumb as getting butthurt over ED still being simple geometric shapes.

Anyone else start a free EVE trial so they can use the excellent portrait creator to make forum avatars?

Making my Star Citizen guys using EVE.

Despite Star Citizen having semi-impressive visuals I highly doubt it will have character creation in the same league as EVE.

Also downloading other people's avatars if they are any good.

>all the ships in SC are ugly and overdesigned as fuck
This, except for the Aegis ships for the most part. This also excludes the community-designed ship that looks like a gay pigeon that shall not be named.

Uh, no Wing Commander had space planes because Star Wars and other space opera sci-fi has space planes. It's a trope of the genre.

The fuck is he going to do with 50 tons of tea? It's like that guy who wanted 25 tons of cigars or that woman who wanted 50 tons of brandy to "party". There's only so much tea one person can drink in a life time.

lol how the carrier in infinite warfare is called Retribution and SC has a huge ship named that too

it really looks like a ez mode console version of Star Citizen

Keep in mind every ship with engineered pulse lasers had to give him tea.

Vanduul ships remind me of Giger's art

>This also excludes the community-designed ship that looks like a gay pigeon that shall not be named.

that shit ruined aegis. Now all the ships are made out of lego parts that look the same as that. Avenger looks totally different from the others

nth for STAR CITIZEN IS VAPORWARE GUYS BUY MY GAME INSTEAD

youtu.be/Tx1kMbC8ZxE

>Avenger looks totally different from the others
You can't blame the people who DDoS the voting page so that the gay pigeon ship won, for the Avenger looking like a triangular penguin. Sorry, but as bad as the gay pigeon is, you can't blame it for that.

And as for re-used assets for a ship that pumps out military designs, that's a non-argument. I have absolutely zero problem with retalliators and buccaneers (or whatever) having re-used assets, i.e. using the same style guide.

kek, is it all an elaborate troll

why would someone even try making a game by himself

This is bullshit. Here's an actual tidbit from it.

>Chris stated in an interview that all content for Squadron42 (graphics, missions) will be complete by the end of the year. There is still more work to do concerning some basic systems like the AI or the coversystem for infiltration missions. Those will take more time.

I'm actually complaining about arguments which can be applied to anything while ignoring the subject. I like SC's ships in a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers 50's sci-fi kind of way.

user..

This game has a "team" working on it. Derek doesn't actually even do anything.

how do they get paid when the game is shit and no one plays it?

Why do you think Derek is having his house repossessed and progress is so behind?

>starts flying backwards
>forward thrusters still activate

Lawdy.

the problem is the style guide is shit because it's based on a shit ship

Because DS has like $100million and pays a group of 5 people to make a game with more content than Star Citizen.

No, I'm not a goon or DS, and I have no interest in playing LoD because it's too buggy and a MMO with no players is not fun*

*Guild Wars 1 is fun without players.

Holy fucking shit this dude is delusional

>DS has $100 million

Thanks for the laugh.

>style guide is shit because it's based on a shit ship

Gladius
Idris
Javelin-class Destroyer
Reclaimer
Retaliator
Sabre
Vanguard

Triangle penguin
Gay pigeon

2 of these Aegis ships are not like the rest. Don't tell me that Aegis base their style from the 2 that don't fit.

>game with more content than Star Citizen.

is this measured in square lego block mile or what

>Keep in mind every ship with engineered pulse lasers had to give him tea.
That reminds me how I hate the lack of economic simulation in ED, goods are only available at the station producing them, if that.
Look at CMM Composites, only available at planetside factories, now CMM Composites should be cheap at the factory that produces them, 25-50% more expensive in the stations that in that system, and every arbitrary distance the price doubles until it's 10x-100x the price to buy a CMM Composite. Even Sothis Newhome station 400ly from the civilization bubble should have /some/ Magnetic Emitter Coils in it, even if it's in the station's maintenance storage bay or in some guy's private storage locker. So there'd be 2-5 tons or something in the commodity market for 1million a ton, reprisenting the player shoving a truck worth of cash for them. More or less the equivalent of the player creating their own missions "5 tons of Magnetic Emitter Coils for 5 millioncr, in 25 minutes, peddler trade rank required."

they took the ugliest parts from the redeemer and copypasted them all over

and I clearly said in my first post that they look totally DIFFERENT from the avenger, the best and most unique ship

That looks like what I programmed in blitz basic 10 years ago.