Tfw can't buy a non supercar with gated shifter

>tfw can't buy a non supercar with gated shifter
why

Transmissions are less precise

Is it possible to put a gate on a car that didn't have one prior?

only on a honda to be honest

>switch from 1st to R on mistake, cause you are used to every other car having the 2nd in that position
>trash the gearbox

Why is that? Is it not just a metal grate over the top

Only one precise enough of what?

No because its not the trim part but also the inside of the transmission so that it matches perfectly.

You can do it on any car, provided that you take into consideration the specific throw of each shifter, neutral zone, slack and other parameters.

Having said that, you will probably hate it, because it's:

1. Slower, because you have to be precise everytime. I imagine it is moreso if the gated piece you created is custom and didn't go through the same level of R&D the supercar manufacturers went through.
2. Makes a ticking noise and will probably get annoying after a while
3. Points 1 and 2 are fine on a sunday-drive supercar, but on an everyday commuter, you will take it off in a matter of a month, max.

Non-gated shifters are a lot faster and feel more natural as they are more lenient.

never driven a manual, have you?
you have to push the shifter knob down for it to let you slide the knob into reverse

Some shifters also have a ring that you need to pull up in order to shift to R

idk if thats the way it is in op pic but i haven't seen a manual where you need to do that

>you need to be precise
>makes a noise
These sound like bonuses, Im surprises bunta didnt have one in tak tak ae86

Um, that ain't standard. Most manuals don't have that or an equivalent, but some do.

I think almost all have some form of reverse lockout so you can't shift into it at speed, though.

Most do in my experience. My mx5 us import is the only car i had without a reverse block thing

Yes they look like shit tho

Accordion shifter a best

I've never driven one with it, but okay. It's not a universal thing, anyway.

hell no those things feel spongy

i have never driven a car where you can just put it in reverse by mistake, and i've driven like 6 cars

>gated shifter
>can't shift from 3rd to 5th quickly for shits'n'giggles

has never driven a VeeDub Beetle

laughing girls dot jay peg

best gear shift ever

you have to push the shifter down just like any vw to access reverse in a beetle.

you can though

A gated shifter has exactly the same shift times as any other shifter. Just because there's a leather sack instead of a gate doesn't mean that your shifter doesn't travel the same paths regardless.

yes i'm fully aware of that , but reverse can still be engaged by mistake just when you really dont want it.