Difference between : Finance, Economics and Business option

Hi Veeky Forums

I get my degree at the end of the year and will have to chose an university.

Can someone tell me the difference between :
- Finance
- Economics
- Business

and which one should I chose for becoming a trader in the banking business.

Thanks Veeky Forums!

yeah google will tell you

That's what I'm doing actually.

They all advice to do either accounting, business, economics or finance. But none of them tell me which one is the most optimized and the real difference between them.

Can I bump the thread?

Here buddy, I am in your shoes aswell. I chose finance. With finance, you actually learn stuff that makes you money. Like, you are kinda learning a trade in a sense. With this trade not only can you get a comfy job as, say a financial planner, but you could start your own consulting firm down the line or something. With econ and business, your not really learning anything useful. Econ could get you a job with the government maybe

I have masters in finance. I have never worked since my teenage years summer jobs

Banking is dead btw. Nobodys hiring atm except shitty teller positions. If you want interesting job at finance you prolly should look for hedgefunds, which are scamming business ofcourse but at least they have some interesting positions open banks

If you really want to be a trader, study physics.

A lot of the mathematics used in banking comes from concepts used in physics. My opinion is that if you study physics, you will be excellent at mathematics and that will allow you to easily pick up the maths used in banking. Whereas if you study finance, you might be strong at one or two areas, but your overall maths ability and how capable you are at picking up new concepts wont be as strong.

I dont know what country youre applying in, but can you not see the different modules offered for each course by looking at the university website? In the UK, Business is laughed at as a degree, most people who do economics want to go in to IB but soon realise how difficult that is, finance is typically a masters degree.

University reputation is everything. There can be a huge difference between the standard at top tier and mid tier. Once you see the difference it becomes clear why banks only target certain unis.

Thanks guys for your reply! :)

And I'm ready to go to any country of Europe for my uni.
Now, is Finance the most adapted option for trading? Also I don't find any uni with Finance as option for the bachelor. Is there any?

Accounting would work aswell. You learn similar stuff.

If you want to be a banker...study banking?

This option is only in Master as I know.
I need to start with the Bachelor

Finance would best if you want to then get into banking.

I'm doing a bachelor of economics, with a second major in maths? Is that employable I'm about too finish my first year at uni, Australia BTW

Id say thats a good combination. Just aim to cover certain subjects in mathematics and you'll be fine. Look to study PDEs and statistics.

If you're looking to get into finance GO TO A TARGET SCHOOL or at the least top 10. Otherwise you're going to have a hard time finding a good job. A target school is the optimum position or a top 5 b-school.

Sure.

Business:
>learn about "managing" people
>very basic math such as mark-up pricing
>essentially for the retards who couldn't cut finance or economics

Finance:
>in short, it is applied financial microeconomics
>much more math than general business
>focus on application and practicality
>learn about investing, securities, etc.

Economics:
>most theory, abstract, and mathematical out of them all (just goes up to calculus and statistics/econometrics pretty much)
>learn that neoclassical models in econ 101 and 102 are bullshit and you start to understand more important aspects of the macro-economy
>economics is a social science and focuses on SJW-meme tier subjects a lot even though there is a push towards making it a "hard science"
>econometrics is kind of useful but less so than the forecasting in finance

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
>study math
>learn some programming
>learn some basic accounting (probably will have to take at least some for a major requirement anyways)

Anyways, out of all of them, I wish I could have done finance or math undergrad, but I did an economics undergrad. Also, I did an applied econ master's which has been very useful (lots of statistics, math, and using statistical software, etc.) MBA really wrapped it all up for me though.

>hedge funds are scams

Explain

I'm 2 years into my business administration degree, the only reason I chose business though is because I actually plan on owning a small business (LLC probably) and want to be more knowledgeable on running it.

I wouldn't go into business unless you're doing what I did.

I guess he means because they rarely beat the index.

Thx for your post.
I see that a lot of people advise me to study maths or coding.
Is finance studies already dead?
Can't I just do it the old way and get a master in Finance for then becoming a trader/broker?

Thanks, I was thinking about going into statistics but I'll probably just do applied and statistics then to cover pdes and forecasting. And why does everyone here bash economics for being unpracticed I'm doing it and I learn slot about how the economy works so you need to know slot of finance theory anyway