I'm paying $1600 USD for a 1992 Geo Tracker. Nothing is going to talk me out of it...

I'm paying $1600 USD for a 1992 Geo Tracker. Nothing is going to talk me out of it. My mom has hit the high ceiling with safety issues and reliability. My wife has cried tales of high insurance and practicality. My co-workers have lamented about underpowered inline-4s and low gear ratios along with high centers of gravity leading to tip Overs.

I remain undeterred.

Do your worst Veeky Forums. The dream of 1991 is alive and well in me, Veeky Forums

Try to talk me down. I dare you.

Other urls found in this thread:

aim.org/aim-report/aim-report-a-black-eye-for-consumer-reports/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Safety issues

Tell them that Consumer Reports faked those rollover "tests", and got sued for libel for their trouble.

aim.org/aim-report/aim-report-a-black-eye-for-consumer-reports/

>cuck: the thread

>reliability
Suzuki samurai is basically the cheapest, simplest offroader that you can get in US markets. By simple, I mean there's no excessive gadgets (looking at you 90s BMWs) to go wrong. You'll be able to wrench it yourself, for the most part. Anything short of an engine/trans rebuild is possible with nothing more than a few sockets and a set of jacks.
>safety
nothing in that era will compare to the glorified metal Matryoshka dolls that are 2010+ cars. You're sacrificing a bit of safety (triple crumple zones, etc etc.) for lightweight, which makes it funner to drive. Your family may have a bit of a point here, but it's not a dealbreaker. Probably just as safe as any early 2000s econobox.
>high insurance
dunno enough about this point to argue. I'd assume the insurance wouldn't be higher than any other comparable Jeep.
>underpowered
It is. If you're really motivated, there are some aftermarket bolt ons, but generally what you purchase on site is the amount of horses you'll be stuck with.
>low gear ratios
Again, biased towards offroading.
>high center of gravity
Again, biased towards offroading. Don't want to be 6 inches from the ground when you're bottoming out your shocks in a gulley...
>practicality
It's a 2 seater, so you may want to consider buying another car for if/when you start a family. A good compromise would be keeping it as a winter beater, if you live in a part of the world with inclement winters.
>co-workers bitching
Who will be bitching when you've had 4 inches of snow and their snazzy Cobalt can't even make it out of the driveway? Drop it into 4x4, turn 360 degrees and plow off into the sunset. Go for it ƒam.

What are you on about? Where the fuck are you? You ready to fight you little turd?

had a geo tracker. apart from the head gasket going at FUCKING 80k miles I loved the little shit.

>I found a new out of context buzzword: the shitposter
Pretty much this.
I'll add that it's no powerhouse, but is adequate.

How high can insurance be on a 24 year old jalopy that pooters around on 4 cylinders?

>practicality

They have four-door models too in case OP has or will have children. There was a guy who used to bring his kids to school in an eighties Samurai back ten years ago in my town where they practically repave the roads with salt during the winter.

yeah, I did think of mentioning that, but OP linked specifically the 2 door with the open bed. If it's the closed bed/5seater, then the practicality point is moot.

fucking do it op. follow your dreams. i secretly want a geo tracker too.

Yeah, your post effectively finished the thread. I just wanted to make sure OP was aware of the option.

thread isn't over, post qt trackers

I wish I could find a beat to shit tracker for that price.
Rural Georgia here- where people ride their quads and side by sides to the gas station. Trackers are one of those vehicles people will mod the piss out of (or leave stock) and use for everything out here because they're light and 4x4 (fuck Georgia clay in the rain).
I've been wanting to get one and pull the doors, cut the roof and use it on my property as basically a farm truck.
But if you live in the city you're a massive faggot.

Aside from a ride that will beat you to death, lack of power, deafening wind noise over 40 mph, and manual EVERYTHING. It's reliable as the sun coming out each day and will run till the wheels fall off. -previous owner of a 92 Tracker

i wont. there is nothing wrong with the suzuki escudo (sorry geo tracker) they only tend to roll over if you go too agressively into a corner. so put a roll cage in it for safetys sake.
who says you have to go off roading? there are a few that have been lowered and or air bagged.
as for the under-powered issue? engine bay big enough for a v8. there is one with a LS already just dont buy the v6 version. engine is too thirsty for a v6 drinks like a v8
the bonus is a wreck dont cost more than a runner

do it fagin you wont regret.

my insurance is $16 mo.

170k no problems.

low gears is cure for low power

what the bad part

Here we see a corvette engine installed in that comically oversized engine bay of which you could pretty much put anything

this thread has converted me to a tracker or samurai. i love the small, utilitarian features of it as well as its low operating costs.
but at the end of the day, a small truck might be a better option for me

i cant stand how CUTE these cars are, oh man

i'd be star-struck if I ever saw one of these with my own 2 eyes. they're so fucking compact, cute, and small. it's like its MISSING something. like an illusion

tell your mom that you agree and have chosen to purchase a brand new motorcycles instead for the reliability. If she questions safety tell her that you plan to go as fast as you can to minimize time on the road thus safer.

Welcome brother
What's trackalackin?
What's your pans fur these billy goats?

>2 seater
it seats 4 comfortably

Samurai is GOAT
literally go anywhere do anything
you can turbo them
you can lower them
they're small but very practical
slow but why need to go fast?

in the near future they will be highly desirable classics, much like they are now for offroaders.

>I've read the rest of the thread

get a samurai over a tracker; they look much better and tougher.

As much as i love them; you'll have problems doing highway speeds or inclines. But god damn are they fun and reliable.

dangerous for rear seat passengers when in accident. i'd take out the seats for cargo and make it just for 2

I know right? I saw this pull up at a parking lot and I HAD to talk to the owner. It even had the same paint splash decals as pic related.

Turns out it's some old dude whos been wrenching the tracker since 1991 but has too many cars to insure so hes letting it go. I will do whatever it takes to get this Tracker . It's calling me.

Isnt the samurai just an older Tracker?

Bought a 97 a year ago with 112K. Love it.

A bit underpowered at highway speeds at 8,000 feet+, but other than that it's been reliable and it off-roads like a mo-fo with very minor upgrades. The wife (who hated it originally) takes it on really bad snow days (Colorado), and now she loves wheelin' around the back roads with me.

Space isn't too bad if you remove the rear seat. Reliability is generally very high, and parts are cheap and plentiful. My insurance was only about $30 more a month than when I had only 1 car on my policy. As posted above, the roll-over safety concern was a lie.

This pic is before the 2 inch lift we performed last week ($200, 4 hours).

the Suzuki Samurai, also known in the US markets as the Geo Tracker....
it's a rebadge.

Not quite. The Suzuki Sidekick is interchangeable with Geo Tracker. The Samurai is a gen older and had no Geo counterpart. It's also solid front axle vs independent front suspension, I believe. Also the carbureted 1.3 liter is weak, and many people swap it out for the injected 1.6L from a Sidekick/Tracker.

Was the Pontiac Sunrunner just a trim package or did it have a larger engine?

>Isnt the samurai just an older Tracker?
the sam was 10x cooler looking, but i'd take both

My understanding is it's a rebadge of the Sidekick (as is the Tracker).

1600? I sold my 2003 grand vitara (carbon copy) for $2000 and it had a few leak issues, wasn't even perfect and had 140K+ on it.

>nothing can talk me out of it
okay I have gotten this feeling of making a thread since it's anonymous whenever I make a big purchase but you're not too smart considering you could get something 10-15 years newer with that kind of money.

only reason why I'm posting is because the only way vehicles sell for this if it isn't some storage find with 0 miles on it is when old people think their shitty memories or nostalgia are worth money, there was a story on here about some guy buying some friend's mom's van shitbox for an acceptable price then all of a sudden flipped out and insisted it was worth $5K more now because it was the van she was driven to the hospital in to have her baby in or some shit. I love seeing the retarded salefag's logic about how their average nothing shit is worth tons more because of dumbass reasons like this

Make sure you put 100 spoke daytons on it.

It's insane how many rebadges this car got.

Suzuki Escudo (Japan)
Suzuki Sidekick (North America)
Suzuki Vitara (Australia)
Chevrolet Tracker (North America)
Geo Tracker (North America)
GMC Tracker (Canada)
Asüna Sunrunner (Canada)
Pontiac Sunrunner (Canada)
Santana 300/350 (Spain)
Chevrolet Vitara (Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela)
Suzuki Nomade (Chile)

By the way, I'm , and I paid $1500 for my Tracker (I sell cars and got it at dealer auction pricing) and it was nearly perfect mechanically, good/fair cosmetically (no A/C, hard top, automatic transmission). Depending on mileage and condition, I think $1600 for a 1992 could be a bit steep.

if it's mechanically and cosmetically sound, then it's done depreciating. $1600 isn't a bad price, depending on area.

X90 bro! We have a 96!

I would get the x90 but I just think theyre so silly and awkward looking. I mean, granted the tracker is baby cute but x90 feels like an off road smart car. Maybe with some sikk mods but it's just too... little

I remember I used to chase this car around when i was 12 begging for red bull and get pissed off when they didn't actually have any on them.

I'm leaving my wife because she's a mean bitch who won't let me look at Geo trackers

I think they were used only as rolling billboards. I remember seeing them at Cape Cod beaches around a decade ago. It's a shame only 7,000 of them were exported to the US.

fuck yeah suzuki thread.

This is what it could look like with overnight parts from Japan

yall need a family counselor

BRO!

these things are actually pretty great. my red one in the pic is the car my cousin use to mob around town doing hektik skids and shit.

best $-per-smile of anything i own

here is my 4x4 that i just got running. cant wait to get it on the road

Id get a tracker over a Sami. Never been in a tracker but a samurai is a rough gas guzzling oil burning 1 litre engine(at least this early example was i think newer ones have bigger engines). Dad had one for years fixed everything himself. Great mudding truck he had a pretty high lift on it

See them at lot in Wisconsin lately

of course not 3 or more red bulls and your power to weight ratios fucked! lol