Hello Veeky Forums. I am thinking about getting a Jeep Wrangler as a second vehicle

Hello Veeky Forums. I am thinking about getting a Jeep Wrangler as a second vehicle.
I need to know how reliable they are, how easy they are to fix, If they are really worth the money, and how much a used 4 door one would go for. Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jeep.htm
consumeraffairs.com/automotive/honda.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also if anyone owns one what do you like and dont like about them?

>inb4 innocuous shitposting with made up anecdotes and falsified complaints
You've been warned OP.
My advice, get the diesel if it's available in your local market.

Here's mine, made it look like a humvee as much as possible because I'm a douche at heart.

It's big, feels indestructible, has an amazing road presence, comfortable interior. I absolutely love driving it and owning it. But...

Horrible sound system (easily fixed with some tweeters and a subwoofer), horribly slow minivan motor, shifting is notchy and sticky, clutch sucks, brakes suck, RUST everywhere.

Would swap an LS motor or hemi in it, but I don't have another $10,000 to drop.

They hold their value incredibly well, I'll be able to sell mine for basically what I bought it for 35,000 miles ago. Bought it with 22k miles and have only had minor maintenance problems since.

I say get one, there's nothing else like it, and man does it get you girls. They love the rig.

>rust
Really? Even on the newer ones? Not trolling, genuinely surprised. I have a 94XJ out here in the brine of Vermont and I don't have any rust

>4 door wranglers

Dude, so much rust. I mean I hit every big puddle/creek I can, but still, they should've done some rust protection at some point

They're really easy to work on though, a lot of space to do oil changes and check fluids...brakes are fairly simple to replace. The fun part is installing suspension mods and armor. I think I'm selling mine soon, it's about to hit 60k miles and I want something fast. Looking at chevelles with big blocks online, very tempting

oh fucking do it
theres nothing like a stout v8 moving you while you make perfect shifts like a god

I'm a little curious as to why you didn't just buy a Hummer if you wanted it to look like a Humvee

The older ones are dead reliable, not sure about the post 07 JKs.
Again, the older ones are piss easy to wrench on. I'd guess the newer ones too.. I have no idea how much shit they might have tried to cram into the engine bay though.

Don't get an unlimited.

Thanks.

>that ugly turd gets you girls

what

>Don't get an unlimited.
Literally why not.

"Literally" spaghetti 4 door chassis
Too long to go down trails well
If you want a 4 door SUV, get a grand cherokee or compass or whatever shit they crank out now.

>"Literally" spaghetti 4 door chassis
What?!
>Too long to go down trails well
Fucking bullshit.
>If you want a 4 door SUV, get a grand cherokee or compass or whatever shit they crank out now.
Or you could get a Wrangler with Wrangler like 4 link S.A. front/rear capability, in a package that's of relevant size and capacity instead of a daytrip mobile.

So i have a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited and ill try to contribute
Pros
Go on almost any trail stock
new 3.6 Has plenty of power.
After market is insane. Literally anything you want for it is already being made or sold.
Very decent ride for front/rear solid axle
Handles slightly better then you would expect
The entire truck can be disassemble using standard tools. Every piece of the jeep seems like it was designed from the start to be taken apart and put back together easily
Cons
Gas mileage sucks
4.10 gears (option) are a bad choice for the freeway
Soft top is fairly noisy (buffeting with certain windows rolled down and rear window in)
Sloppy gear shifter
Im at 12k miles and the only problem i have had was a check engine light due to a loose gas cap.

It is the most capable vehicle i have ever owned and i have had plenty of 4x4s.

Also what do you plan on doing with it?

>Horrible sound system (easily fixed with some tweeters and a subwoofer)
Depends what year and options you get. My 15' came with a full Alpine System including a sub built into the back

>horribly slow minivan motor
Only with the pre 2012 models. The dohc 3.6 Pentastar is an excellent engine with more than enough power. Interiors of the pre 12' models are shit too so don't bother with them.

>Too long to go down trails well
lolwut? Sure, the short wheelbase(2dr) model is better in that respect if you only intend to keep it factory stock, but that can cheaply be fixed with a 2" lift and some 33s. Either way it's still more capable from the factory than anything else.

Mine has only 22K on the odometer, I've trashed it off road and haven't had any problems. As another user said, they hold their value like crazy so you really cant go wrong. Obviously they're not the best highway cruisers, but that's not what you buy a Wrangler for, right?

>Tank Rubicon Unlimited
Manual?

Yessir. Looks like yours is identical to mine exept for the 2.5" lift. I'm getting a set of 33s or 35s next month.

Yeah no lift on mine. Havent found the need for it with what i have been doing. I might do a lift just to get the harder springs and shocks because i load mine out regularly.

What bumper and winch do you have?

What lift did you go with and how was the handling and ride effected?
Also i love the Muddterrains off road but they really suck on the road especially in rain.
What tires are you looking at?

>buying a car from a car company where their products make worst car lists multiple times for many years in a row including CURRENT YEAR

blunder about to happen, but don't listen to me and tens of thousands of other people, listen to these jackasses

especially that retard, there are almost NO old jeeps on the road, don't give me that THE DRIVERS BEAT THEM TO SHIT LOL or MUH ANECDOTE THAT'S ONLY BEEN IN THE SHOP 15 TIMES FOR BASICALLY EVERYTHING THAT COULD GO WRONG EVERY 4-9K MILES

Its a Warn bumper (warn elite) with a shittybuilt 9500 xrc synthetic line. I have only needed to use it twice and if preformed fine. A warn winch would have pushed my budget at the time so i went with the cheaper one. No complaints so far. The bumper is great but im not sure if it would fit with 35s.
Also the synthetic line is awesome. I don't think i will buy another wire line. So much lighter and easier to work with. Replacement line is cheap.

Speaking of innocuous shitposts and made up anecdotes.
That's neat. Perfect overlander. Shame the Rubicon hasn't been made available with the diesel yet. Do you guys get the diesel stateside?

Thanks man. Exactly what i was going for.
No diesel yet. They sell the Grand Cherokee with one and the pickups but not the Wrangler. It is so damn annoying. It is rumored to be coming out in 2017, but that rumor has been floating around for years.

say whatever makes you feel better about having to fix your rolling junkheap every other day, I'm just trying to keep OP from making an awful decicion

>but that rumour has been floating around for years
You're not wrong. In other markets they sell them with a similar diesel to the "Duramax 2.8" powered Colorado. It's a decent motor too.
>vague complaints that are coincidental to the manufacturer and not vehicle specific
Nice shitposting m8

The reason the wrangler is rated so low is because they judge it only as a street vehicle and in that aspect it is literally one of the worst to buy.
The Grand Cherokee has way too many electronics for its own good. Most of the problems have stemmed from Chyrsler Jeep Dodge routing 100% of the vehicles electronics through the Uconnect system and its trash. Luckily the Wrangler does not even have that as an option.
Also the 727 was the last good automatic transmission that CJD has made.

I assume you will be storing this in a lockup and only take it out when you're off cruising for cock?

>lockup
No we are Americans, we have garages attached to our homes.
Stay poor euro trash.

>implying the complaints about transmission, early engine failure, and the electrical system & onboard electronics are vague

consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jeep.htm

fanboys are the worst, Jeeps are pure garbo and you're literally throwing money away buying one

I was implying you're keeping it on the down low, but okay honey x

Op here
Ive wanted a jeep for a long time. It looks like its easy to mod and i like the option of cruising around with no top and no doors and such. My other choice for a second car would be a used crown victoria.

>cruising
Fucking called it.

just buy a fucking geo tracker you bum

more reliable than anything Jeep has ever put out or could hope to at the rate they're goin

Op here again.
I got lots of options for another car. I dont want anything new. Just something from early 2000s that i can use as a special second vehicle I can pour money into and leave my current truck alone.

>special second vehicle
Okay, gay serial killer, that's a new one for the Wrangler crowd.

Driving.
Is that better? Im tired af right now sitting in a dark room.

Just having a giggle user. I want a Miata, which is far gayer than a Wrangler could ever hope to be, Queer as Folk association or not.

I just said their electronics and auto trans are shit.
As for early engine failure you are going to have to be more specific because i cant find shit on that.
Also using consumeraffairs
consumeraffairs.com/automotive/honda.html
1 and 1/2 star rating for honda
Known as one of if not the most reliable brands
That proves exactly nothing.
Quit acting like you know what the fuck you are talking about. You dont own one so you are going off 2nd hand information.
Come back when you have some relevant information.

Dont buy a jeep wrangler. Its not for you.

What do you want to do with the miata?

I'm a Britbong so an LS1 swap is simply out of the question, no way I'd be able to afford that as a daily driver.
Would probably leave it stock to be honest, maybe see if I could track down one of those coupe hardtops online as I love the look.

You dont want a jeep. They are purposely built to handle off road better than on road. Literally anything else would be better for you.

Well good luck getting one. I'm sure its hard to get one....

yeah, but if you actually paid any attention to those ratings there's a lot of whining about cosmetics [you're certainly not looking at your civic while your driving] and some 5 star ratings

and EVERY. SINGLE. REVIEW. for jeep brings up mechanical issues + electrical issues + electronics issues and nary is a high rating in sight

I guess I wont buy a jeep then. Ill just stick with the victoria or some pickup.

It's aTeraflex 2.5" coil lift. Handling and ride hasn't changed much and I can still cruise as 85 mph with confidence. I'm looking at a set of Yokohama Geolander AT-S 35s (LT315/70R17). I'm getting them this week.