Can we have a thread for funny, weird or interseting car trivia?

Can we have a thread for funny, weird or interseting car trivia?

>Many Rolls Royce cars have self stabilizing hubcups so that the emblem is always right side up, and umbrellas embedded on the doors.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/N9p0jLMssSk
wired.com/2015/07/mercedes-using-loud-static-protect-fancy-ears-crashes/
e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC hidden menus
e90.wikifoundry.com/page/iDrive hidden menus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I learned on the latest Top Gear that Rolls-Royce put heaters on the scabbard that holds the umbrella to dry the umbrella off after use.

this should be standard on all luxury cars
ch

New Mercedes cars let out a loud sound through the sound system when it detects that a crash is inevitable, this causes the stapedius muscle in your ears to tense up and tighten the ear drum so the crash doesn't damage your hearing

Dude that's badass

How did the germans test this feature I wonder?

really ? that's nice as fuck

WWII if I had to guess

Non M BMW E36/E46 have a weak subframe

60K aud Skoda has that feature as well, rolls btfo

*Rear subframe

>even if my face is broken and my body crushed between this car, at least my hearing is alright

honda a shit

>modern Mercedes
>face broken and body crushed

What do you think they're using all those refugees for

youtu.be/N9p0jLMssSk

GTIRs came with an umbrella in the door too.
Rolls btfo

Got a plastic textured door sill somewhat like this?

There's a purpose for that.
Wipin' the sand off the bottom of your shoes.

underrated post

57-59' Ford Skyliners had an optional fitted luggage set to fit in the storage bin in the trunk when the retractable hardtop was down

>New Mercedes cars let out a loud sound
Many years ago, Mercedes was the one that invented the deliberate weak spots in the hood so that it would crumple up when hit. Otherwise, a strong hood would simply be shoved through the windshield into peoples' faces.

They then gave up patenting it as a competitive advantage so that other car manufacturers could also use the patented idea for free. Thus the age of crumple zones began.

For BMW automatics, the transmission is adaptive, to reset it, press the start button, then hold the gas to the floor for 30 seconds. This will reset the transmission's learned settings. Great for when your wife drives your car...

Spotted the faggot subscribed to rob

only e46 iirc.
you can buy a brace that prevents the subframe from cracking but it'd only really prevent issues with a brand new undamaged subframe

I have no idea what you just wrote but my bullshit detector is off the charts

The 2016 Chevrolet Malibu (and possibly other GM cars as well but I have not checked) seem to be using a linear version of how the Dyson vacuum cleaner (and copycats) separate dirt and air. Thus, the cleaned up air enters the engine compartment while almost all the dirt and water droplets are thrown away. Thus not much dirt or water enters the Malibue compartment.

The front grille of the 2016 Malibu breaks up the air flow into lots of slower eddy currents with a strong downward flowing direction once past the grill. That's because of the lower air entrance feeding air to the underside of the car which has 6.75 inches of clearance. The front flexible plastic air dam has much less clearance, thus resulting in a lower air pressure behind the air dam. That lower air pressure causes all the air in the large rectangular cavity above it to be sucked downward as the car moves forward. Thus, all the dirt and water entering the initial grill gets a strong downward motion.

Due to inertia differences, the heavier dirt and water continues to move downward while some air bleeds upwards. The opening to the engine chamber, while large, is still relatively high up at the back of this chamber behind the grill. So if the two engine compartment fans are not on full blast, almost all the dirt and water particles never rises high enough to enter that opening. I know some dirt and water does try to rise up, but they hit that smooth wall below the hole and fall down.

The trail of dirt and water staining the rear wall of the front chamber and flowing downwards gives evidence to my guess as to GM/Chevy's design approach. I've had my car for awhile now, and the engine compartment remains super clean while the dirt stains the front chamber.

Bravo for using a linear version of what those vacuum cleaners use to separate dirt and air. But instead of keeping the dirt and throwing away the air, the Malibu "perversely" keeps the cleaned up air and throws away the dirt.

Are you fucking serious? That hearing protection horseshit earlier seemed completely believable to you but you can't deal with that one?

>I have no idea what you just wrote but my bullshit detector is off the charts

There are ways to make an automatic try to have the engine run in the optimum power band for acceleration up a hill. Similarly, it can also choose when to shift gears to effectively "move" the power band for long distance cruising on level surfaces. Drivers tend to drive certain ways that are statistically consistent. Thus, the automatic shifting points can be moved in order to EITHER have the engine operate more efficiently or to have the engine provide more power.

My 13 year old Mitsubishi Magna does this too.

Supposed to make it smoother by shifting at more appropriate times based on how you normally drive.

A bench seat was an option on base model ford Falcons right up until 1999 (EL and previous, GLI only)

t. NZ

The hearing protection is real

wired.com/2015/07/mercedes-using-loud-static-protect-fancy-ears-crashes/

cut him some slack, he's used to his 90s shitbox and doesn't know how modern shit works

I don't even own a car lmao, I just lurk here to learn automotive stuff with the hopes of when I one day buy a car, that I won't sperg out.

The reason why I am really confused is because flooring your accelerator doesn't sound like a good idea, regardless of what gear the car is in.

this shitbox has the most aerodynamic side mirrors which prevent the wind noise
also the radio automatically turns the volume up depending on the speed/rpm

Speaking of wind noise from mirrors, the Nissan Leaf was so quiet during testing that the wind noise from the mirrors was obnoxiously apparent, so they shaped the headlights to direct the air away from the mirrors.

I always liked the look of those mirrors.

You have to be eighteen to post here

This is a picture of an exhaustive pipe, but resembles an errect horse penis.

>tfw this makes me hard
wtf is wrong with me?

So you can hear people speak shit about you.

When you press the accelerator it makes the car go faster. The act of accelerating is named after this phenomenon.

Son, I have a news for you.

Dumping my infographic folder.

Galaxy/sharan/alabhram?

Has seat that fold into baby/child that's good from +3 months.

Some people may have baby seats(each seat is separate and removable) in their car and don't even know about it.

>A3 is a mid-sized car while Civic is a small car

What's your favorite Batmobile?

Many trucks use a cyclone intake.

They are generally a cylindrical canister and at the bottom there is a rubber flap that generally opens up when air pressure is built up, often when you come off the trottle quickly.

It sometimes sounds like a mini BOV

Honda founded in England.

Henry Ford creating Cadillac before he made Ford.

>at least 25% of the shit is wrong
>no sources

The Tumbler, because it actually makes more sense than a rocket powered convertible

kek, how do they plan to get self driving cars weight down to 750-1000lbs and still be safe in a crash?

Hello OP, I also watch superspeeders

The modern computerized cars have hidden menus. Some are for diagnostics displays (better than OBD2), some are for settings, and some are for calibration. In the 1990's, someone published how to access Sony TV hidden menus to activate features of more expensive TVs. Sony used the same electronics in many TVs and for lower cost models simply disabled those features in software.

>For BMW automatics, the transmission is adaptive, to reset it
The reset process uses the key and should be done when there is a new owner. BMW is not the only one with such automatics. Mercedes also has adaptives. Perhaps GM has then?

Over time the ECU in the trans learns your driving style and that is what it keeps in memory. The throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts and personalizes to your particular driving style. In some cars, the pedal may even feel stiffer due to feedback. There is a way to set the ECU back to factory default. The only difference with a push button to start/stop engine system is that you must use the start button instead of turning the key to it's first position and again to simulate the off position.
DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY DURING THIS PROCEDURE

Resetting Driver Memory for the transmission.

Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button – foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.

the cupholders of a lincoln mark 7 swivel, and in my own experience. Haven't spilled a fucking thing. Just make sure you don't filled to the brim drinks in it.

nicccccceeeee

>parking meter

A family also set up a card table and played cards all day while they fed the machine with nickels.

When they first came out parking meters were the shit, apparently.

some guy also parked his elephant there.

I'd love to build up an actual car like the 1941 Batmobile some day. 1940-ish fastback two doors aren't entirely out of reach in price, and that thing looks the heat.

Fun fact
You are 50% more likely to grow a pussy crop if you drive a fiero with a body kit, compared to any other car

All BMW 3series cars of the E90, E91, E92 and E93 family have hidden/service menus in the Board Computer (BC). Although on cars with iDrive, some of this information can be accessed in a more readable format through the hidden iDrive menus

Go here for an illustrated guide on accessing the OB hidden menus in the older car. Newer cars may have a credential check.

e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC hidden menus

For cars using the older iDrive system, here is an illustrated way to access those hidden menu features.

e90.wikifoundry.com/page/iDrive hidden menus

Is the car industry the fastest in terms of technological evolution?

Nope.

In twenty years of cars we went from an electric car to an electric car that automatically drives you into semi trucks, beheading you.

In twenty years of genetic engineering we went from injecting DNA that's been repaired by trial and error into viruses and infecting you, praying that the DNA will repair your broken one and praying that the virus won't kill you, to molecular scissors that can accurately cut DNA and replace it with new one that can be custom ordered, at any point you tell it to.

>1992
The best batmobile.

Take the American out of it

>Maserati founded by Sergio Marchionne

TOP OF MY KEKS

>Henry Ford founded Chrysler, Caparo and Cadillac.
>Corvette is a separate company. Didn't include SRT.
>Lotus is a Japanese company.
>etc bullshit...
My 4 year old daughter knows it well than the creator of this chart.

Good job omitting the problems with Crispr

I'm sure it's all fine and dandy right?

>1769 The first automobile accident; the damaged vehicle is still preserved in the Conservatoire Nationale des Arts et Metiers in Paris.
>1769
I'm having trouble believing this.

>wiping sand

wait what

If you drive a shit box or a luxury car, there's a stick double the size of your dick behind the steering wheel which has two arrows placed together pointing in the opposite direction from each. This is the stick of direction or indicator which your dick head instructor didn't teach you or you dreamt about getting fucked in the ass while he told you about it.

Now what it does is shows direction when you give a tap up or down. The lights flash in the instrument which is right under your fucking nose. Also a cool ass fact is, all the dour sides of your car is fitted with lights (amber light setting for you fat americans) that flash yellow when that previously mentioned stick is tapped.

The ultimate goal of this is to show the driver behind you of which direction you are heading to so it can be safe for both your asses.

No, but it's a leap forward compared to the few minor gadgets we've since gained in cars. Wow, satellite navigation and backup cameras, this'll change the world!

>that quads
>that explanation
This is GOLD!

rolls Royce used to be much more mechanically complex
.t something top gear does not tell you

92 a bess

what does even 86 mean holy shit?
04 is a CLK GTR?

7777 tons of salt but I agree

Holy Shit
>7777
God Exists!

This one is wrong. Nash didn't invent seat belts in 1950, the Tucker 48 had them in 1948.

also nice buick

If I had it within my authority, I would mark this as post of the year.

Arkham knight because utility and dd

I looked it up, its a typo.
Its supposed to say 1869.