I'm a broke college dude who needs a new daily. tell me why I shouldn't make this shitbox my own

I'm a broke college dude who needs a new daily. tell me why I shouldn't make this shitbox my own
>coupe
>5 speed manual
>vtec knockoff
>toyota durability
>sunroof
>big trunk for a coupe
>cheapish insurance

the celica I'm considering happens to be the slower 1.8L 140hp one but I care more about the handling, fuel economy and reliability than horsepower. would appreciate input from people who have owned of these thx senpai

>vtec knockoff
Kill you are self
Avoid older than 2003 if youre a pussy and are still alive

what does this even mean

>Bus riders consider this a shitbox

meme aside, you'd be hard pressed to find a manufacturer without their own flavor of valve timing, you can't knock off V-tec when everyone does it.

>tell me why I shouldn't make this shitbox my own
Because you're a broke college dude who needs a new daily, not necessarily a rice taxed new daily that needs premium fuel, may burn more oil than an RX-8 and attracts beaners like a hole in the Wall.

With that said if you can find a clean, cheap one go for it. It's not as practical as a Corolla but still a decent and good-looking daily.

To be fair, it is.

It's the worst, most poorfag version of a car that was at some point used in a couple of rally races.

>toyota durability
any car can be driven into the ground...
What year?
How many miles?
Have you driven it?
What's the price?

Was the seventh gen Celica ever used in rallying? There was no GT-Four trim for it.

It's certainly sportier than your average econobox; the 2ZZ ones are econoboxes that want to be sports cars.

Roads are built to get from point A to point B, not to race.

Just get yourself an Accord instead.

>Roads are built to get from point A to point B, not to race.
If that's your logic then buy a Geo.

>Majority of the population buys cars to race

Ok.

yeah u right. I just really want a coupe and this seems pretty cheap insurance-wise. I have heard of the oil-burning issue but my last car did the same shit so I'm already used to checking my oil religiously. also, the GT doesn't require premium, which is another reason I'm leaning more towards it than the GT-S

>2001
>150k but I have seen a bunch with pretty high mileage still running fine so that comforts me
>nope, haven't met up with the owner yet
>2500 OBO which really means "just give me 2000 and we'll call it a day"

No, your logic is to get to point A to B. Geo is extremely efficient in this regard. This is an inarguable point.

I considered an accord coupe, but it's apparently the most stolen car in the US aka higher insurance than I'd be comfortable with

kek racerboy has been spotted

>Ignoring comfort
>Ignoring reliability
>Ignoring passenger capacity
>Ignoring customization
>Your only concern is HP

You are truly a kid.

Oh, so you buy cars for more than transportation from A to B.
Glad that was straightened out.

Isaid roads aren't made to race.

Damn, I'd say if the car looks clean after a thorough inspection and drive it might be a nice buy.
Be picky or get fcked though.

Apparently you weren't made to post either.
7th gen Celica is shit.

Not too bad.

Years down the track when you have a nicer car you can make a project out of it too. Might be able to cannibalize a ST246 and make a GT-Four out of the seventh gen Celica.

>Being this insecure

time to stop posting friendo

should get the gt-s, it's really much better

get a civic
>coupe, or hatch if you have taste
>5 speed manual
>vtec
>honda reliability
>sunroof
>big trunk
>cheapish insurance

look for transmission leaks and electrical problems.

>Celica a shit
he's not wrong you know

I actually looked into those 7th gen civics with the hatch and the center mounted shifter but all the ones in my area are either rebuilt, not running, or have ridiculously high mileage. it's a shame, you might find one in decent shape but the owner always jacks up the price because they're aware that they've got one of the few survivors

Matrix XRS owner here.

There are no outstanding issues with the GT-S. I redline my 1.8 everyday with no issue on regular maintenance.

They will sip fuel with that six gear. You can idle around the town speed limits in sixth. It drops down a little over 20 mph before it starts to lug.

VVTI-L kicks in around 6 grand. Using anything other than premium DOES make a difference in terms of power or responsiveness. These things handle prettt well and the suspension is stuff. Chassis does just fine. I highly recommend getting a heavier duty clutch since this going to be a daily. It's good insurance for how long you want this car to last.

You can rev out around town and not break the speed limit. It's fun, slow compared to dedicated sports vehicles (like all sporty FF econoboxes) and handles quite well.

I had a Matrix XRS. tell me, you have any problems shifting at redline from first to second gear? mine would grind and refuse to pop into gear above 7k. it was hella embarrassing, to the point where I just stopped winding it out because I knew it would never shift properly.

l have a Celica GT-S. What clutch do you got, or would recommend more specifically? l need a replacement and am undecided between factory and aftermarket replacement.

First to second -problems are a thing to look out for in these cars. Someone fucked the transmission before it ever got to you.

OP, get some other car. We need to keep our pride clean from broke kids.

>Driving a shitbox that vaguely looks fast but is slower than a shitbox honda hatchback

Why not get something that's either fast or practical, rather than some shitty compromise between both?

Oh my god I hate faggots who don't understand that VTEC effects lift while most other VVT systems don't. Toyota's VVTL-i does change lift. But the 1ZZ in the base celica doesnt have variable lift

would you happen to have any experience with the GT? how does the VVT-i feel and run compared to the VVTL-i? I know the L stands for Lift but I don't know what that does

>"shitty compromise"
not really. I'm not looking to race anybody, nor am I looking for a luxury or utility vehicle. just want something kinda sporty, reliable and practical for daily driving. the celica fits all the criteria and lies comfortably within my budget

I have one
No issues so far, vvt-i manual, 140 hp
Great handling, enough power and v good on gas
Mines done 135 kilometers and has yet to let me down
Also it shares alot of its parts with the corolla

My nigs

probably the most useful post in this thread, thx senpai

ty senpai

just make sure you keep an eye on the oil and you should be sweet

also plenty of space for your shit, and cheap for insurance as its not a honda

mine's a 2001 btw

just try find one that's been taken care of and you should be sweet

also the auto trannies on them are garbage for 1zz and 2zz so aviod em at all costs

2zz auto, how does that work?

my mate's got one

not very well; 2zz manual > 1zz manual > 2zz auto > 1zz auto

>Only the post that conforms to my views is useful

go for gt-s
gt-s is better in every way and it didn't have the oil issue the 2001(?) gt had

ignore everyone and go with yer heart boi
it's a practical car in the end not super sporty despite its apperance
30mpg

Gt-s is the only way to go, if you can find a good one. I drive one now, but have also owned a gt. I average out 30 mpg a tank, and premium is only like $6 more a tank so don't let that be a concern. Handling really is great, lightweight, low slung, nimble as can be.

For the 2 years I had my gt I was happy with it. A perfect daily driver. Only when I bought my gt-s after someone wrecked into my gt did I realize I should have gotten the gt-s. So if you can find a good one get it, if you can't, you'll still be able to enjoy the gt.

Last tging I'll say is that comparing this car to other sports cars, sure the Celica comes up short, but it's a riot compared to more mundane cars like the corollas, malibus, and older focus' I see everywhere. I'll never sell my gt-s, I love it too much, but I will buy a better car later to be my 'fun' car.

well most of the posts here are either boyracers bitching about the car being slow, ricey and fwd (as if you can't find that in any other thread where a 7th gen celica is mentioned) or simply not really answering my questions, so of course I'm gonna praise those who actually post something relevant to what I asked

speaking of which

thanks lads, I appreciate your input. unfortunately I can't find a manual GT-S in my area but I did get to test a GT yesterday and I loved it. only issue was it had broken A/C (up to $600 fix) and the paint was way more fucked than it looked in the pictures. the guy was asking for way too much considering what his car is actually worth and I had to turn him down.
BUT another GT popped up about an hour and a half away from where I live, it has 93k original miles and the guy's getting rid of it because he's having a kid. I'm actually thinking about making the trek for the car since the dude is asking a pretty low price considering the mileage, $2400.
only thing that irks me is some of the interior pieces are plasti-dipped or painted in this gross bright red, but that's fine lol I'd just peel that shit off and repaint them matte black or something

The outstanding issue with the 7th gen celica GT-S is that the manual transmission spaces the gears together too close and everyone fucking moneyshifts and destroys the 2zz.

Just read forums, you'll see people that are on their third engine from destroying it.

Probably better off with an RSX-S for about the same cash

They changed the spacing because of that for the 2003 onwards if I'm not mistaken.

Buy one.. I bought a 2002 GT (yes, 1ZZ) about three years ago. I've driven it 100 miles a day, five days a week, for those three years. I change the oil every 3k miles. I put midgrade in it, which is probably overkill on octane. It handles great. It looks great. I love it..

Some people call them chick cars. Some people call them factory rice. Some people pooh pooh them. Who gives a shit what other people think. As long as /YOU/ like it.

In short, I would buy another 7th gen Celica in an instant. Even a GT version. Would prefer the GT-S next time, but I cannot say ANYTHING bad about my Celica GT. I love it.

Don't expect it to be the fastest thing in the world, but they do handle good, and while beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I do think they look great....

Go buy one and enjoy it. Do some basic upgrades and enjoy it even more.

Just keep the oil changed. They can start burning oil once at 150k or above, if they aren't taken care of well. Piston rings can start sticking if oil isn't changed regularly, from what I understand.

This. The Celica gets a bad rep, but it's a great car for what it is. Take care of it and it can last 300k + miles.

Vtech knockoff is onthe GTS trim