At one point in America...

At one point in America, the car stopped being viewed by teenagers and young adults as literal freedom and started being viewed as appliances.
When did this happen? When did the spiral of collapse begin?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Aug/0818_chevysmallblock.html
novaresource.org/production.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ODB2
OR malaise cars when they were all slow as shit

protip: slow cars existed before the malaise era too

i blame it on shifting cultural changes. Its not cool to own a car anymore because theres so many options, second hand cars are cheap as shit and no matter what car you buy, people tend to look past it

face it, it isn't the 70's anymore

Underrated thread.

Why OBD2?

I fucking hate sensors but the car that really made me an enthusiast was OBD2

It's probably also because people just are content to be on their phones all day on social media and want to multitask

Meme answer, there was a thread recently blaming ODB2 for the death of enthusiast cars.
Really what happened is cars got proportionally more expensive compared to wages, so teenagers can only get unexciting shit boxes that constantly break down. Gas is expensive too.

>older japanese cars
>constantly breaking down
wew..also: no, old japanese non "enthusiast" cars aren't expensive

Stop believing this meme.

The majority of consumers have ALWAYS viewed automobiles as transportation.

Young enthusiasts are still driving 20 year old cars cars now the way they did 40 and 50 years ago.

The difference is instead of a 57 V8 Buick or an Olds 442 they can only afford a boring piece of shit like a fucking Civic.

1910s

>The difference is instead of a 57 V8 Buick or an Olds 442 they can only afford a boring piece of shit like a fucking Civic.

also lol

those are shit compared to a Civic

>those are shit compared to a Civic
Old GM drivetrains were solid.
Regardless. I'll take a bloated V8 to a skeletor I4 any day.

you cant compare a 57 buick to a civic you goddamn retard

It would be more equivalent to buying today a early 90's caprice, Buick roadmaster, Crown Vic or at a stretch some shitbox 80's car or a malaise car

no dude, that's the point.
back in the day if you liked cars, you bought a V8 and it invariably had two fours.

now, kids that like cars buy civics and try to shove as close to the ground as they can but not because they like the car.

>back in the day if you liked cars, you bought a V8

man

its obvious you werent around back then or know anyone that was

also if you want to shit talk stance people were doing the same thing back in the 60s and 70s

>buy car
>jack up rear end
>put large tires
>hurr look how cool I am

same shit with a different flavor

Yeah because you bought a I6 for performance.

not everyone drove a chevelle, GTO or a 55 Chev, dingus

you're right, they could also buy 426 Hemi, 429 Boss, or any sedan really because you could get a big block in most barges.

>increasing ride height is the same as dragging the frame across the ground

Larger tires also have practical purpose.

1. the Pontiac OHC 6
2. the Chrysler Hemi 6
3. the Jaguar 6
4. the Aston 6
5. the Triumph 6
6. the Austin 6
7. probably some more

protip not everyone had a muscle shit

hardly anyone had either of this since they were insanely expensive

not on the stock and sometimes 6 cylinder shitboxes

if anything it hurt performance

you can buy better performance nowadays easier and cheaper than you ever could. A 426 Hemi is nothing if it doesnt handle, and most v8's on the second hand market are lighter and equally as powerful, if not more

the fact the Hemi is remembered today is due to boomer hype. Its so effective, people still worship these engines seemingly if they were the pinnacle of engineering and power

its a combo of marketing, regulation, the cars themselves, and generational attitudes. Gen Xers stopped giving a shit about their cars when they could pull into a jiffy lube pay $10 and never have to open the hood themselves, as the generations go on, they have children later on in life not having the patience or interest to teach them anything. No one in my family taught me jack shit about cars. I admit I didn't give a shit about cars until I started my delivery job and constantly had to fuck with some shit on my GM shit box

Most cars had the option of 6 cylinder.
Not everyone took it.

even back in the 60s a 440 would usually beat a 426 HEMI anyway

HEMIs were shit everywhere that wasnt a drag strip too

6 cylinder was standard on nearly every car

most took it

Chrysler Hemi 6 was equally as fast around the track as american cars with their fatass 7 litre engines. v8 =/= good

>A 426 Hemi is nothing if it doesnt handle,
They really didn't.
>most took it

I dunno how many 250 L6 Chevy made, but over 100 million SBCs have been made in some form.

media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Aug/0818_chevysmallblock.html

original Mustangs with the 6 cylinder were always faster than their 1971+ counterparts.
By 1970 America wanted semi-luxury cars with big engines. It's just the fax

the SBC has been made since 1955 in several applications the 250 was used for what 10 years?

base models still outsell the higher trims in nearly every model

just no one gives a shit a base model inline 6 Camaro

>the 250 was used for what 10 years?
hence why the V8 outnumbered it.

>base models still outsell the higher trims in nearly every model
you didn't need a higher trim for a bigger engine.
Just off Nova's alone, the I6 started outselling the V8 only after the start of the oil crisis.

Hippies, sexual liberation and feminism happend.

yeah but a 307, 283, and all that shit wasnt for performance

>Just off Nova's alone, the I6 started outselling the V8 only after the start of the oil crisis.

nope

novaresource.org/production.htm

only sold more V8s from 71-74

>yeah but a 307, 283, and all that shit wasnt for performance

Yeah so?

>only sold more V8s from 71-74
When everyone wanted one like i said.

>By 1970 America wanted semi-luxury cars with big engines. It's just the fax

Anyway i'll be here when 100 million of any single I6 is produced.

>Yeah so?

might as well just get a 6

>Anyway i'll be here when 100 million of any single I6 is produced.

yeah

an engine family thats been revised for 60 years is a fair comparison

protip that still doesnt help your argument when 6s outsell the 8s

>might as well just get a 6
That wasn't the American mindset.

>an engine family thats been revised for 60 years is a fair comparison
maybe because..i dunno, it's so fucking popular.

>protip that still doesnt help your argument when 6s outsell the 8s
For less than 10 years, most of them in an era of oil starvation.

>That wasn't the American mindset.
>For less than 10 years, most of them in an era of oil starvation.
>maybe because..i dunno, it's so fucking popular.

the 6 outsold the 8 in nearly every year for nearly every model

youre not making any sense here

>the 6 outsold the 8 in nearly every year for nearly every model
wrong :^)
And this is just for the Nova.
Find some production numbers for Camaro, Corvette, Malibu, Monte Carlo, etc.

forgot pic

>from 62-79
>V8 sold more for 4 years

how is that in your favor

>posts full size cars and sports cars

gee bill you mean to tell me that those cars used more V8s

even when most were base models that are slower than a Nova 6

When teenagers could just talk to their friends on Facebook instead

Teenagers don't care about cars anymore because you don't need a car to participate in the social sphere. The thing that teenagers beg for now is a smartphone.A smartphone is the big milestone in their lives that shows the transition to "adulthood"

>When did the spiral of collapse begin?
The 60s was the beginning. Cars didn't start getting assfucked until the 70s though.
>the car stopped being viewed by teenagers and young adults as literal freedom and started being viewed as appliances.
This modern popular opinion you're specifically referring to is an element of third-wave feminism and started to actually happen in 1992 although back in the 90s I just thought it was "cute".

>how is that in your favor
It's not, but the I6 didn't sell better nearly every year.

>gee bill you mean to tell me that those cars used more V8s
back to my original statement. V8's outnumbered I6

>even when most were base models that are slower than a Nova 6
You'll need a V8 to move goalposts like that :^)

youre right

I6 sold better every year minus a few exceptions

>back to my original statement. V8's outnumbered I6

no

>goes after the irrelevant part of the post

lol

>muh idealism
>why doesn't everyone glorify my hobby the way I do

>feminism is at fault for people seeing a piece of technology as the tool it was meant to be in the first place

How dare people see this as simply a faster and more comfortable way of travel.

This isn't a tool it's life. Kid's these days just don't understand.

Top fucking kek.

>car salesmen made young people believe that cars were a symbol for freedom for some 20 years out of 130 years of car history, and only in America and only because at the time Americans had tons of money to piss away
>WHY ISN'T EVERY ERA HELD TO THE STANDARDS OF THIS SHORT PERIOD

are you retarded? even back then when cars were fucking new to the modern world, they have made as toys for rich people and competition.

>Muh rights
My privilege

Nobody ever envisioned cars as a toy for the rich, it was only the reality in the first years and decades of the car because affordable mass production was yet to be introduced. Their high prices was solely the result of technical limitations, not ideology.

And now we've come full circle to ENTITLEMENT - Which is just a nigger word for privilege

When minimum wage went down and the economy went to shit, making cars hard to afford, and when the insurance industry and safety regs went out of control, making anything cool or fun next to impossible to own. Also, it's not necessary to go out of the house for entertainment any more.

probably this, my dad know a fuckton about mecanic and grew so fucking tired of it he even bought a chevy hhr.

just take by exemple the civic seven gen( the shitty d17 with plastic intake) these car were bought by people that was already owner of a civic in the past and just tought that buying the new one will be the same and gave it to there son, daughter, they bought something because of assumption and lazyness, honda was aware of that. now these litle slow piece of shit with a bomb in the steering wheel are everywhere

this

I mean damn 30 years ago a pc with a hard drive and a monitor could cost you well over $2,000 (adjusted) easy

the fact that were able to get cars packed with tech and safety of today for the prices we get is amazing

>making anything cool or fun next to impossible to own
>implying the US aren't still a retardedly unregulated redneck playground once the cars are approved for sale
There are exactly three things Germany is more lenient on than the US: not having to wait 25 years for imports, being allowed to register ATVs and being allowed to register tracked vehicles as long as they have rubber pads and suspension. Everything else is turned into a massive pain compared to the US where you can swap engines and do custom fab and no one will ever even ask you about it.

>no
100 million+

>>goes after the irrelevant part of the post

>tries to move goalposts and gets called on it
kek

its not goal post moving you dipshit

its stating a fact

just like how L6 cars outsold V8 cars :^)

>gets faced with facts
>in denial

>its not goal post moving you dipshit

original statement:
V8s are more numerous than I6

your statement: I6 was faster than V8 anyway

lul

100 million +

well safe to say I won this argument

enjoy your denial

Thanks for conceding, see you in the next thread.

>100 million +
;)