Should I buy this 1983 Porsche 944 thats for sale in my town?

Should I buy this 1983 Porsche 944 thats for sale in my town?

Let me give you the rundown
>Complete car all original
>no undercarriage rust
>not running
>good restoration project
>its been stored in a garage
>clean title
>7200 miles.

but if i could fix whatever is wrong with it I could either DD or just make some profit.

should I pull the trigger fagg/o/ts?

I still need to see it in person to verify how clean it actually is.

oh I forgot the most important part.

The price.

>$1k obo.

No way that's a 7200 mile car.

Don't try to DD a 944.

Oops, forgot a zero

so youre saying I should flip it?

Flip it or keep it as a second car. It's not reliable enough to be a daily, but great when it works.

I don't see why not. If everything checks out go for it also you can resell it for a lot more.

This.

I own an '84 944 track car. would not daily, but they are great fun to drive and pretty simple to work on (but VERY frustrating to diagnose the common no-start scenario).

The only ones that rust have usually been in accidents.

Do you know why it doesn't run? I am positive this is why the price is so low, and unfortunately due to the odo design it could be 172k miles for all you know. Not to scare you away, just saying REALLY look at the car and see just how used it is.

If you are comfortable with a multimeter and have worked on a project car before I would say go for it, but do not expect to fire a parts cannon at it and turn a profit.

Ask about the water pump and timing belt. Ask for maintenance records. If you or the seller have the tools then turn the crank over manually. Have a look under the dash and feel around for moisture.

If the car will crank and not fire, check for spark and fuel. Watch the tach to bounce when cranking. If not, you'll need sensors. If you get spark but no fuel, you may get lucky and just need a DME relay or a fuel pump/filter.

If you're unlucky like I was, you'll need a new DME (ecu).

Good Luck, report back!

In other news:
>Waiting for the autism to die down before posting the next /pog/, meine familie :^)

nope but thanks for the info will keep it in mind when i go see it.

pic related is the ad.

no problem. At $1k I would say that one is worth a look at the very least.

Try to gauge whether the owner actually knows why it won't run or is just guessing.

>Not running

Top lel, good luck getting a 30 year old Porsche running again

good luck making america great again, cuck

Are all of the problems with the 944 with the engine? If so, would an engine swap lower the probability of a problem?

Two questions for you, OP.
1. Can you afford to just throw away $1000 and not see anything in return for a while?
2. Do you actually need to use this car daily or will it be a second or third car?

No the problems are with 30 year old electronics mostly, 80's motronic system and then lack of timely replacement of the water pump which can fuck the engine via the timing belt or cause the car to overheat.

If properly maintained the engines are very durable.

Are these systems replaceable for less than the price of my firstborn?

upgradeable*

Rebuilt ecu ~$300

Water pump, rollers, timing belt (replace ASAP on an unknown engine) $400-600

Random electronics are hit and miss but most people agree $3500 gets a passable car with some minor issues, $5k gets a decent sorted car.

The parts prices are not as bad as people think as long as you do research. What will kill you is taking it to a shop that works on 944's at $100+/hr

Thanks, man. I should probably save up before DDing a 944.

944s for everybody

Eh, can't lose much. The seats look mint and go for $800 when parted out. Same with the Fuchwheels.

Worst case scenario, you part it out and scrap the rest.

I'd buy it without hesitation.