/acg/ - Armored Core General

DESPAIR Edition
For all newcomers, Armored Core and all JP mecha discussion here. You are welcome to shill western stuff with JP influence.
We can talk about Ace combat as well and puchi posting is fine too.

BEFORE YOU PROCEED LISTEN TO OUR THEME SONG!!!
instaud.io/jzI

AC pastebin: pastebin.com/Ek3kMtZW
Read that if you have any questions. If the pastebin doesn't answer whatever question you may have feel free to ask us in the thread.

/acg/'s partially approved recommendation list:
pastebin.com/WSq32Amg (updated february 28th)

Steam: steamcommunity.com/groups/armoredcorevg

/acg/ PLAYS

SCRIMMS
>Ask.

SUNDAY NIGHT FOR ANSWER
>Ask.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON VERDICT DAY
>Ask.

Official Strategy guide PDFs for 2, 3, and Nexus :
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_2_Another_Age_Prima_Official_eGuide/1833
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_3_Prima_Official_eGuide/1635
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_Nexus_Prima_Official_eGuide/2226

AC related cover music: ripped from niconico by risto
mega.nz/#!j1l03AjA!beyftPD1gLIsymJC2gdmHpUecO4JHGbg6KdFQNS7htI

Understanding Last Raven technical stuff.
pastebin.com/RfbVYwwr

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YPYoJy_gGMk
youtu.be/x-ykG6lle8w
youtu.be/b0v3ZVFK1ok
info.legalzoom.com/dmca-backup-copyrighted-content-22827.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

FIRST FOR JUNK

:(

So what were some moments in the series you guys really enjoyed?

I thought the one mission in 4 were they spawned you in a warehouse vs the cc AC was so well done.

that one mission in 1 where you were supposed to guard this new part but the mission was a pain in the ass so you could just steal it and fail the mission instead

Sorry I haven't been around, it's been an interesting first week and I'm already finding myself quite busy. I think I'm seeing some holes in my schedule where I can get on, so I should at least be able to play soon.
Now then, I need some help for the game I'm GMing. One of the happenings is that the big corporation of Japan figured out UNACs. Thing is, UNAC isn't a very good name in a universe where the mechs aren't called Armored Cores.
So I need good replacement names, preferably acronyms.
4 has a lot of those, but Swarms of Red Eyes takes the cake.
>oh look the sun is setting
>oh, that's a lot of red dots
>OH
>that's a LOT of red dots
>they just keep coming and coming
>it's finally over
>it wasn't actually a sunset, Omer deployed so many of the things that from a distance, the group looked like the sun

Even if we die a thousand times, we will return like a phoenix from the ashes, even though we're ravens. They're both birds, so there's no actual difference.

Word play isn't my forte, so all i could come up with was RAM(remote, attack,machines)

Usually when it comes to naming stuff I pull from mythology. The established names of gods or monsters can complement the intended rolls of the mechs.

I really liked one mission (I think it was Another Age iirc) where you were on top of some planes that were flying and you needed to destroy them and then quickly jump and OB to the next ones while the one you just destroyed started falling. I thought that was really cool.

Also I just saw the ending to AC Nexus now. What the fuck?

Speaking of Nexus, I found it weird how the game is kinda blurry. The graphics aren't as sharp as the previous games. I usually don't mind graphics in games too much but in this case it did bother me a bit.

What is the name of the mechas in your game?

>it wasn't actually a sunset,

The best part is that as the mission progress, the places goes darker little by little as you destroy them, like if you really expirienced a sunset.

>They're both birds, so there's no actual difference

This made me chucle.

Cute! CUTE!
Mechs. They don't really have a specific name, they're just mechs.
Don't worry, they fix that in Last Raven.

bump

DELETE THIS.

Bump

The Silent Avalanche mission in 4 is a truckload feels, specially on Hard.

AHAB (Automated Humanoid Assault Battlesuit).

My favorite moment is the final mission in AC3, the final fight gives me goosebumps.

youtube.com/watch?v=YPYoJy_gGMk

If I want to stagger people at short range to pummel them with PMGs and CEMGs, am I better off with shotguns or handguns? It seems like dual shotty builds are popular but I wonder if they work used along DPS-focused weapons.

Bump.

Why not try both?

I did, seems like shotguns are better overall but maybe there's some secret meta I'm unaware of.
Or I just had hopes of handguns going back to their ACLR glory, I miss the 6shot revolver.

BumP-Intensify

good morning bump

High speed missile + Rifle will always be stagger king.

If you use a shotgun, pair it with a pulse gun. PMGs and CMGs are too inaccurate to do a lot of damage

Handguns are pretty much only useful for stunlocking lightweights or setting up large/Plasma/VTF missiles, since you obviously can't use shotgun or high speed missile to stun for those (shotgun is too close, can't use two missiles).

PMGs are better for defense than offense. They do great as a CQC deterrent against pulse+shotgun lightweights that run around with only 500 TE defense.

If you want to kill low-TE enemies, use spam fire rapid laser rifles, Plasma missiles, or sawas.

If you want to do rapid rush attacks in CQC, plasma guns, or shotgun+pulse gun

If you want to do heavy stun damage, high speed missile + rifle or battle rifle. High speed missile + ~1800-1900 acc tuned battle rifle can do heavy damage against anything other than quads, and leaves you 3 other weapon sets to deal with them.

Bump

Is the one were the brother-sister team appears right?

I find funny that a scene like this on a 4/FA animated thing would be really stupid thanks for the Kojima particles the NEXT use.

Damn, thanks for that post. I don't play online so I'm often in the dark when it comes to good weapon combos. Felt good that I figured out by myself what were the good generators and armor parts though.
Yeah. The part where Fiona wonders why SA are still fighting when their corp is already destroyed is touching, but the lines of the siblings are just too anime for me, specially when you kill one of them.

> SA are still fighting when their corp is already destroyed is touching

It is, makes you wonder how well BFF treats its soldiers.

The cool thing about verdict day is that all weapons are basically the same and just defined by a few features.

1. Muzzle Velocity: This determines your 'effective' accurate range. Divide by 4 (against heavies) or 5 (against lightweights) to get the range where you are likely to hit every time.

2. Firing Accuracy. Shotguns and pulse guns spread out. Higher firing stability on your arms will narrow the spread and do more damage. Same for battle rifles. Also, the higher the number the more each point matters (99 to 95 is really important, but 20 to 5 doesn't matter that much)

3. Impact force. If it's over 1400, it will stun everything except a quad, heavy tank, or HRJ. Stun lowers enemy defenses to 80% for the next 2 seconds.

>Stun lowers enemy defenses to 80% for the next 2 seconds.

that sound a little OP.

getting the first non-official e-mail in AC1.
creeped me out.
also playing for answer the first time, attack on naval port of mimir with the rosenthal frame, scatter missiles and chaingun rounds everyone, explosions all over the place, it was great and a good early mission to really show how powerful a next is. i fell in love instantly.
>So I need good replacement names
Digitally-CONtrolled-arms-platforms, or D-CONs for short. ripe for some overt christian symbolism.
>OH
i need to replay 4.

Got a bit of a moral dilemma here guys. I want to emulate Armored Core Nexus, since they don't sell it anymore and From hasn't re-released it. Think i should?

I'm a major morals guys, so I always feel guilty about emulation

If you cant find it anywhere, go ahead, is not like you didnt try.

It would be if there weren't other OP things in Verdict Day.

Basically the meta in verdict day revolves around 3 things:

1. Defenses + Recoil resistance. Build defenses over common thresholds so that you can't be stunned into taking heavy damage from common weapons (like 1505 rifle, 2030 3BR, 833 PMG, etc.) and try to have more effective weapons (and at effective ranges) than the opponent based on the defense difference between you two. This is basically just damage trading at that point.

2. Shields. Use shields to shut down snipers/lasers and control ranges or AP stack so you can run the clock down

3. "Meta" builds that ignore normal rules. These are easily abused JP builds like Kumorabis and are based around mechanics that require either hard counters or very low thresholds of skill to optimize.

If you want to win a PvP match in VD, you have to abuse one of those 3 mechanics somehow.

Considering that Agetec doesn't even own AC's publishing rights anymore, I doubt you're cheating anyone out of money by not buying it.

Also, if you ever owned a copy originally then emulation is perfectly legal. You are only allowed to emulate discs you physically purchased at one point, though.

>You are only allowed to emulate discs you physically purchased at one point, though.
Damn. I also wanted to emulate Tales of Destiny afterward, all because I can't be bothered to find a seller of the game ANYWHERE. There isn't even a re-release or a Playstation store entry.

That's the law, but it's not enforced. No one check on these things.

The only real legal repurcussions you might face is that if you download from emulator websites without a proxy, your ISP might throttle your internet or block you off from certain sites.

Otherwise, as long as you're not distributing the files or hosting them on your own server for others to use, then there's no real way to enforce things.

I could've sworn that europe was arguing a case about how games that aren't commercially available anymore can bypass these laws. Although I know Nintendo has a stick up their bum about it.

I only know about the US law. It's more lax in other countries usually

I was thinking of emulating the original 3 ACs on my PSP, so hearing what you said earlier about it being legal as long as I own the original games is comforting. I wanna play them on the go, and the portable ACs are always a joy to play.

bump

>the bad VD remixes just add violins
Why does it feel like a meme instrument

what remix?

Since Emulators are legal and theres not really easy way to check if you dumped a rom yourself or not it falls into the realm of "its not really legal but no one is getting arrested for this anytime soon"

Just wanna make sure nobody is losing money or getting ripped off. That's why I'm vehemently against pirating any games still sold, even if it's from a dickbag company who doesn't deserve the money. I'm willing to respect the IP laws there because they're at least putting the product out and making it available.

It just feel so shaky with abandonware.

Bump

>tfw found ACN on the flea market but it didn't have the Revolution disc
It was only like 2€ but I still feel cheated. I pirated it anyway, it's basically a unicorn at this point.

In other things, I was watching the ACVD 1on1 tourney footage and it's interesting how everyone was using HWB. They really are the best legtype, dem thunder thighs.

Anyone read the getter robo series?
Favourite part? Favourite mecha? Favourite pilot?
Artificial line

Bump

Is it just me, or are the Nexus Revolution remixes of the old songs actually worse than the original ones?

For example, compare:

youtu.be/x-ykG6lle8w

youtu.be/b0v3ZVFK1ok

Bump.

Says you. I enjoy both of them equally. They have that rustic charm.

Yeah, pretty much. Notable exceptions for Artificial Sky Tribal and Shape Memory
Hey screw you.
>Also, if you ever owned a copy originally then emulation is perfectly legal.
Isn't that one of those rumors that lots of people believe but has no grounding?
Can't do that one, Ahab is the name of the PCs' boss.
Might have something to do with the fact that it's the third most common instrument in all of musical history.

Bump

Bump.

>Isn't that one of those rumors that lots of people believe but has no grounding?
Well, the law says that you can rip an ISO for your own personal use, but it's frowned on to download it from somewhere else. It's only prosecutable if you're distributing it though.

Personally, what am I supposed to do with an old game that can't be bought from the developer anymore, didn't get a re-release, and only exists through rom sites?

Oh oh, I know the answer to this one because I play Magic.
>buy it at a reasonable marked up price off the secondary market, goyim
>after all, this game is so hard to find these days, so it's understandable that it costs a little more, right?
>it's a hobby after all, shlomo, you should expect to drop money on it

>mfw copies of Tales of Destiny run up to 500 dollars on Amazon

To be clear, it's still enforced if you're hosting or sharing/downloading the rom, they can track your ISP down and send you a cease and desist and a fine, in the US.

To be fair it is really fuckin' hard to improve on perfection.

>Isn't that one of those rumors that lots of people believe but has no grounding?

It's covered under backup laws. Since there's no circumvention of the copyright (you're merely having an extra disk but not being used for any purpose that your current disk couldn't be used for) it's legal.

info.legalzoom.com/dmca-backup-copyrighted-content-22827.html

You own the copyright only to your specific disk and only for backup purposes. The thing is, it's impossible to tell if that copy is burned from your own disk or downloaded the internet. DRM in games essentially just checks that this copy (and all copies of the copy) has a legitimate source (usually through an activation key).

Metal Wolf Chaos

Also demon's souls special edition.

Bump.

Favorite color and gamestyle?

Black and White and why they have to do my boy Sorin like this Im not trying to play 3 color vamipres

Yeah with Innistrad making Vampires black and red, using Sorin on a vampire deck is kinda hard.

Also Sorin fuck himself in the lore.

White.
Sealed deck.
Oh. Well crap, I always thought that was as bogus as the thing about skipping class if the teacher is 15 minutes late.
>ripe for some overt christian symbolism.
Explain.
And it better be good because D-CON is a brand of rat poison.

I saw it coming for a reason.

I see. I bet they'll heavily enforce it for games they're actively selling, so I'll avoid those.

Thanks for the heads up.

they really dont lol, your making it out to be a bigger ordeal than it is

First mission in Nine Breaker and I've already learned more about lock-on speed, which I didn't care about at all in the previous games.

Wait a second.
So help me, Jeck, if what you're getting at is the word deacon, I will walk to Canada and punch you.
You're also going to learn a lot about lots of other things, like turn rate, fighting without lock, high speed precision, and proper distance

bump

>proper distance

Bump

So there's no shop in Nine Breaker? What if someone starts playing it first and doesn't have any parts from Nexus, are they just fucked?

I think you get the parts straight up, don't you?

Bump

bump

bump

It's time to wake up.

i agree, SMA is a classic
why? the tales games are like the watered down, after school anime versions of JRPGs
had no idea there was that kind of demand for the classics
>So help me, Jeck, if what you're getting at is the word deacon, I will walk to Canada and punch you.
come on ahab, the central AI controlling them could be the PRIEST, or Procedurally-Riveting-Explosion-Sustaining-Technology
ahab it's RIGHT THERE in front of you
also meet me in new hampshire, it's nice there
good morning

Bump.

Yeah I'm getting some as I go along but I'm also trying to get first place in the exercises. I think that would be pretty hard if someone starts Nine Breaker with no other previous parts. Maybe I should just try to complete them normally instead of trying to get first place.

IT'S THE RAVEN OLYMPICS MY PRIDE IS ON THE LINE HERE

In the V universe, are all those shit-tier mooks like the tanks and helicopters that die in one shot crewed? What about the golems and hellkites and wetas?
I never quite understood why they'd put shitty AIs on fully fledged ACs and then have human pilots on MTs, specially when ACs themselves aren't even rare, with each faction controlling probably hundreds if not thousands.