Can anyone translate the top job for me in retard speak? I have no idea what they did except for the vacuum leak...

Can anyone translate the top job for me in retard speak? I have no idea what they did except for the vacuum leak. Why did it take 400$ in labor is what I'm wondering. Its the first major service I do on a used g8 I bought so I figured I would take it to the dealer for a proper inspection. I knew I'd pay more but I want to understand what they did exactly and how hard I was sheckeled

Your check engine light came on because you didn't tighten your gas cap enough. The tech checked the evap system, determined it was the gas cap, and tightened it. He also replaced an oil pressure sensor. Then he went on a road test to make sure the problem was fixed. The cost is parts + labor that you agreed to.

Yea OK..took a week after filling up eh

Your car doesnt run evap tests constantly. Basically how it works is it either pressurizes or vaccuums the system and measures the pressure/vacuum decay to determine if theres a leak and how big.
Cars only do this under certain circumstances, ie coolant between two points, fuel level betweeen two points, and under certain driving conditions.
The only trouble codes that show up immediately are circuit codes.
Source- i do this for a living.

kek

OP paid $177.22 for an additive in fuel tank.

why was the car stuttering when slowing down? was it just going into limp mode or something? is the sensor/connectors go bad does it at least take awhile to diag this? just feel like its a bit much

what would your shop charge? or do you work for a dealership as well

Does it say anywhere how much they charge per hour of work?

Also what car exactly do you have? It's a G8, right? what year and engine size?

can't find it anywhere, i think dealers use a book value instead of hourly labor

its a 2009 6.0

I dont know about the stuttering/limp mode condition. Sounds completely unrelated.
As far as the diagnosis, im a bit better with electrical than the average lube tech, so it wouldnt really take long to diagnose. Especially since it says the sensor itself is bad. Its a simple ohm test. A broken wire can be a cunt, because once youve established that, its pull the harness from pcm to component until you find it.
But alot of the labor could come from changing the actual sensor. Some cars are a real bitch to get to. No idea what you drive tho

And no i work for an independant shop. We charge 82.5 an hour. And in this case we would roll the diag into the repair, since it basically requires you to remove the sensor to test it.
But i also would have sold you a gas cap and charged .5 hr for the smoke test.
And then another .5 to explain how to properly tighten your gas cap

Some cars will cut fuel when they think the oil pressure is too low, can't say if that's the case for your car

The shop OP went to is flat rate/customer pay for sure, doesn't matter how long the tech took

A 6.0 should be on the back side of the block under the intake. I know in trucks you can change them easily, in a g8 you may actually have to pull the intake like youre SUPPOSED to do with the trucks. So that's probably where thw labor comes from.
And 99% of shops work off of a predetermined "book time" how long its supposed to take to perform a repair. Multiplied by their hourly rate

Rates for electrical diag are situational.
For example, if i have to strip your entire interior to find a broken wire, youre getting billed for my time.
But if i find it literally out in the open you would just pay the repair. Not sure how dealers do it though, never worked for one.

That's not what I mean. Every shop charges fixed amount of money per "billable hour". At our dealership it is $110.00.

The book you're talking about is not really a book anymore, but a number of websites - they list a certain "time" per repair. That time varies anywhere from 0.1 of a "billable hour". This allows shops to generate money and stay open.

Let's say you have to replace something, and it is listed as 0.8 hours of labor. At $110 dollar rate it's going to cost you 110 x 0.8 = $88. Plus whatever part costs.
Even if actual repair takes 10 min.

So, in your case I looked up labor on the website we use. If I understand correctly from the half ass documentation, they replaced oil pressure sender switch (looks like a common issue online), tested your fuel system for leaks. I am not sure which connector they replaced (we're a jap/korean dealership), so add $66 to my estimate.

So, all in all it's pretty fair, I guess.

Agreed. You can spend 3 hours pulling all the trim panels looking for that one fucking wire.

I work for a dealership, and if it's warranty we're pretty much screwed with .5 for all the stuff we have to do.

Either you needed a new sensor or new connector, I think you got hosed on one of those.

We actually have a car in the shop that came in for a recall. As soon as you start the car you can hear a bucket of bolts rattling in the engine. Ended up replacing an engine.
People really should get on that oil change schedule.

Flat rate is ass. Ill never do it again.
The worst part about it is people think all you have to do is plug in a scanner to "diagnose" the car.
When i worked at advanced auto part time, i was also working in a shop. People would come into advanced and be like, can you diagnose my car for me?
Lel i can pull the codes for you, but you dont know what to do with that information. And chances are since youre getting your car "diagnosed" at a parts store, you probably arent going to do anything with that information anyway.
The general public is a bunch of retards when it comws to cars. I could go on for days.
If shits too expensive ride the bus. Damn.

At dealers and some indies all the R&Rs have book time and you generally charge .5 to 1 hour for diagnosis. If it's something like a hard to track down NVH you can call the customer and tell them it's going to take more hours and they have to agree to it. If it's a NVH under warranty it has to clear through the warranty clerk. Different brands have a max diagnosis time before you have to contact them with the issue to get more hours.

We have people come in from advanced from time to time. Our issue is that most of the time they have generalized codes, which means we have to diagnose the car anyway. So, it's either $110 (most times, also partially worked into the repair) or you can just blindly throw parts at your car until (hopefully) it is fixed.

For this reason every car at our shop has to be diagnosed by us.

And yes, flat rate sucks. No customers = no paycheck.