Was there some sort of war against snails in medieval times?

Was there some sort of war against snails in medieval times?

Other urls found in this thread:

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was just a big scribe in-joke. Snails were a book's/scribe's worst enemy because they would eat paper

they are too slow

GET OVER HERE

So they were early memes?

A meme is any idea that can be held in the mind and communicated on, like how to make fire for example. All human knowledge is composed of memes.

The Snail War in Scotland and also Northern England 1387-1392.

is this true??

That's one theory, and my favourite one and probably the most likely but there are others, some people think they are slagging armoured knights and some people think it's just a general meme that got out of hand.

No clue about the rabbit one though.

... Medieval scribes didnt use paper.

>he doesn't know about the species of hybrid man-snails that were created as a side-effect of the failed genetical experiments conducted on Finnish prisoners by the Neuro-Shamans of the Hwan empire

You know im referring to memes in a specific way, smartass.

Did they only use vellum?

Actually I get frustrated to people, like your good self, who refer to memes in a completely non-specific way to refer to whatever they want.

Probably some sort phonetic cabala

Was snailposting an early form of shitposting?

>memes are serious!!

meme post

>he thinks language can't change over time with new definitions for words

being a scribe is boring work

>because they would eat paper
more that they would eat cabbage and other things in the gardens, and the Monastery would have extensive gardens usually.

>Its a meme you dip!

literally

not the earliest

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

II.2.3 (Bar of Athictus; right of the door); 8442: I screwed the barmaid

VI.14.20 (House of Orpheus); 4523: I have buggered men

VII.9 (Eumachia Building, via della Abbondanza); 2048: Secundus likes to screw boys.

VIII.2 (in the basilica); 1864: Samius to Cornelius: go hang yourself!

Of course I don't but this, ahem, meme of just randomly dropping 'meme' into sentences with absolutely no meaning whatsoever that has developed on Veeky Forums is just silly and non-communicative.

>The work of one who consorts with beasts!

and sinners and tax collectors

But really this whole snail thing was just an edgy autistic spook meme.

Memes as they're thought of on Veeky Forums:
>esoteric in-joke
>a trend where love/ubiquity of the item becomes more important than the item itself (bacon)
>common conception with no basis/is easily disproven by reality (German engineering is superior)

One of the humans is in plate armour, and plate armour didn't make them slow

>Aaron Kosminski.
Kangaroo snails to be exact.

anyone got a book of manuscript art?

It's great stuff and I'd love to learn about it

It could be about the slaying of sloth. Staying active and what not. I can't imagine copying books for days is very fun.

The word "in-joke" in the post i replied to pretty much gave away the exact meaning of the word: an image or idea that gets repeated as a joke, which is only understood by people who have come across it before.

I love how they translate as poshy as possible

> i fucked the barmaid
> im gay
> Secundus likes boipucci
> Cornelius fuck yourself, t. Samius

St. Thomas, I'm SNAIL.

It's not non-communicative at all. Everyone on this website who read his post understood exactly what he meant by meme in this context. Even you understood it, you just happened to also sperg out about the fact that language evolves.

it's a methaphor for a guy hiding in his castle or donjon

>dat image
"Damnit, how does he keep blocking my baby-clubs with his sword!?"

LOOK AT THAT ESCARGOT

If I take that shell off will you die?

Rabbits are very common animals, and the bane of gardeners, and monks generally had a garden I'm the monastery, so I'd bet they were talked about a fair bit.

Just an idea, though. One of my co-workers is always going on about her wabbit problem.

It would be extremely painful

they got their ink from snails

>There must be more to life

*Usheathes claymore*

>Eeeee, what's up doc?

it would be extremely snail-ful

DELET THIS

bumping out of interest

bestiary.ca deals with animals

>medieval pepe and wojak

FALUSSES OUT FOR HARAMBERIC

But there's a castle in the background.

Snails in Europe can get to be enormous. Even in modern times, you can still occasionally find snails as large as a baseball, and they are devastating to crops.

I would assume this was a sort of comic exaggeration of how peasants felt when they discovered a big fucking snail munching on their garden.

>There are also numerous images often found in the margins of illuminated manuscripts that may seem rather bizarre to modern viewers. These are called marginalia and have been likened to “doodling” on the edge of a page. Some examples of odd marginalia include: knights battling snails, an army of foxes besieging a city of monkeys, and penis trees.

>Additionally, these manuscripts contain a surprising number of images relating to flatulence and defecation. Finally, some manuscripts contain scribbles by the copying scribe, as well as complaints about their job. These include “Thank God, it will soon be dark.” and “New parchment, bad ink; I say nothing more.”

It fills my heart with joy knowing that shitposting has been practiced for thousands of years.

Yes, it represent the guy being cowardly and hiding

*knock knock*
"Brother Simon, so sorry to bother you, I-"

But the snail isn't even hiding in its shell.

IIRC Roman politics was basically non-stop shitposting - historians are skeptical about the "secret lives" of the Julio-Claudians simply because accusing your political rivals of fucking their sisters and other relatives was pretty common with senators

doesn't matter, he's still a snail

>the bane of gardeners

Bane?

Yeah, rabbits are a pretty big nuisance

... does that text read "anus vaginus" ???

the more i look at it the harder it is to read

*anus vaginis i mean

that pic depicts the hatred of people towards snails for ruining their crops

think about how hard must have been to grow crops back then, having to do everything by hand and with no way of defending against bugs

it was just a running joke they had then to pass the time.

You're not funny.

king: dude come on! that isn't funny!
murderer: i wonder what my wife made for dinner

since it was a recurring thing I doubt they hated it, more like it was just another daily burden, maybe as kids they were routinely sent out snail hunting

>the had that wrote it is no more
damn

>sorry buddy I can't help you here

>*record scratch*
>*freeze frame*
>so you're probably wondering how I ended up in this mess...

kek

Kek

>like your good self
How big is your fedora?

Meme by definition:
>Not that

That's a cute theory but I think it's just because snails have armor like men.

A snail's shell is structurally really similar to a great helm.

oh my god

he has anime shock lines

Is this ancient?

Seems Roman-era

This seems wacky because we're used to more realistic depictions of violence, but I expect that images like this were fucking horrifying to medieval readers.

That's a lot of decapitated babies.

Medieval art was pretty wacky in general.

>go hang yourself

an early form of kys, fascinating

>N-NANI!?

What a terrible mother.

>frogposters
Alternatively
>ouiaboos

>"And that's how babies are made"

What's up with the fantasization of rabbits killing men?