Anyone ever remove this shit?

Anyone ever remove this shit?

Some people say it lets you hear the engine more, some people say it won't. Some people say if you remove it the paint will melt, some people say its fine.

Whats the deal?

Yes have removed it from several cars, there is probably a risk to yourr paint but, my wrx has never had one and ive done 35k kms since i bought it, ive made the turbo glow bright red and my paint is fine, my younger brother has a gtst that doesnt have that protective layer and the paints good, why do you want to remove it?

I bought a 1995 Mustang V6 with that thing removed, there are heat bubbles on the paint because of it. Don't be stupid, just leave it on there.

Want to hear more engine noise in the cabin.
Is there anything else I can do to hear the engine more that won't wreck my car then?

I should say it's a nice sounding engine but not particularly powerful, so I'm not sure if it would even get hot enough to damage the paint.

who gives a fuck about the paint of under your hood? if i lift my hood and see scorch marks i'd take that as a badge of honor

so roll down your window

Still not very loud as it has basically zero exhaust noise. It's loud as fuck from the outside but near silent inside, I don't understand it.

I think the worry is more about heating up the panel and destroying the paint on the outside.

feel the material son its a heat insulator not a sound damper.

keeps the engine bay nice and toasty

I've removed mine cause it always end up sagging due to water infiltration.

You do hear the engine more, becomes annoying after a while.

The paint underneath the bonnet will get burnt.

All in all, it's preferable to be there, mostly for the noise reason.

thats why you just get some unpainted carbon fiber yo

The reason that is there is to help put out a fire if one occurs in the engine bay. The reason they use plastic rivets to hold it up is so that they melt when it gets hot enough, dropping the material down and (hopefully) putting the fire out, or at least inhibiting it before firefighters can arrive, or you put it out with a fire extinguisher.

>you DO carry a fire extinguisher, correct?

I had to remove the kick plate panel thing under the steering column once, I think the proper term is the 'knee bolster'.

Once it was out I noticed it was covered in a (worryingly wet) foam.

I assume this is for noise insulation? Worth taking this out to see if it makes it any louder?

Straight pipe it

If my engine is on fire I don't really give a shit at that point, may as well let the car go out in a blaze.

I think it's more or less to lessen the opportunity that your car will explode into a huge fireball, killing the onlookers who are dumb enough to stand within a 10 feet range for a selfie when it inevitably hits your gas tank.

A lot of base model cars don't even come with one. Paint can withstand quite a bit of heat.

removed mine, I hear the valves a little more that's about it.

>my car has zero exhaust noise
>removing sound absorbing materials will fix this

>all the noise is from the engine
>removing sound dampening from the engine compartment will do nothing
t. idiot

user, the exhaust isnt in the engine compartment.

>he isn't running a straight pipe exhaust into his engine bay

Cut a few holes in the firewall and the dash. That'll work.

Open headers.
You'll hear it then.

>Anyone ever remove this shit?

Don't do it. That heat shield preserves the life of your paint. Hot paint oxidizes faster. That's why in the old old days, hoods would have that spot of peeling clearcoat or peeling paint in the middle of the hood above the hot engine.

You'll be sorry if you remove it. A car with peeling paint looks crappy. More than that, other people will mock you for that crappy idea of removing the heat shield as they laugh at your paint.

Its to pad your knees in a crash

If your engine ever catches fire you'll wish you hadn't. Get a pod filter like everyone else

>hes not running direct exhaust injection for maximum noise reduction and efficiency

Pretty sure its a sound damper, the little bit of insulation it gives is just a bonus.

>he isn't running a drainpipe from his exhaust directly into the rear window

>The paint underneath the bonnet will get burnt.

Dirt and soot /= burnt

CAN WE MAKE OUR MIND UP IF ITS FOR NOISE SUPPRESSION OR TO STOP YOUR PAINT GETTING FUCKED UP OR TO STOP A FIRE

This is 100% bullshit. That panel is NOT fire retardant whatsoever and is just going to be next in line to be burned by the flames.

Pretty good imagination you got there, kiddo.

Removed mine on my first M3, gave a bit more engine noise especially with a CAI. LTWs didn't have it at all. Haven't done it on my current one yet until I fix a somewhat annoying intermittent noise.

Mine was getting a little ratty, so I tore it all out. Made it a transfer a little more engine sound to the cabin, I'm glad I did it.

That's there to isolate noise, not heat.

Considering I'm a parts guy for BMW and regularly speak to techs overseas in Germany, I can reassure you it is to isolate noise, not to prevent heat from wrecking the paint. I don't blame people for thinking it's for heat protection. It certainly looks like that would be its purpose. But it isn't.

>insulation can only do one thing

>drive corvair for a week
>go to drive scion
>have to double check tach to make sure the engine is actually running
>go back to corvair after a week
>feel like i need earplugs

The corvair still has mufflers on it too.
cars can get nigga loud.

Nothing will happen to paint.
First gen miata doesn't have this at all and my paint is perfectly fine.

It's there for heat reasons primarily. To keep heat in though. There's a reason it started showing up when emissions controlled engines did. Sound absorption is s side benefit. Paint protection isn't an issue.

Not all cars have them. I`ve seen to identical cars, the only difference being one is diesel and the other petrol and only the diesel one came with it. Its specifically for sound deadening, heat can evaporate from anywhere, especially when in motion.

I'm a parts guy for Audi and its for heat purposes.

I'm a parts guy for Honda and it's for plastic melty fire extinguishing purposes

I'm Spartacus and it has multiple benefits. It's wrong to say it is only for retaining heat for faster warmup in the winter, only for protecting paint from heat surge, or only for noise reduction. Manufacturers wouldn't spend their money adding it when they could have more profit by not having a liner.

Perhaps you can benefit a different way. If you are a secret member of ISIS, you can put your ISIS logo on the underside of the hood. The liner hides it, but at ISIS Car Meets, you can pull the liner off and show off your ISIS logo. All the other ISIS members will nod approvingly at your hash marks underneath showing how many infidel EcoBoost owners you have scratched off. Put the hood liner back up and no one will be the wiser!

Would it help to remove it for instance, in case you want to reduce under-hood temperature but don't want a gay ricer hood scoop or hood spacers?

/thread

are you actually retarded?

As a professional engine counselor I have to say that the amount of ignorance in this thread is outstanding. Don't you know your engines need their blankies until they're at least 8 years old? They need it to feel safe and warm at night when you park them. Be a good owner, don't take your cars blankie away.

>are you actually retarded?
It's legit to worry about having too much hot air under the hood. The hot air does heat up the air box and air tube intakes. So even if you have a cool air intake that gets air from outside the engine bay, that air will be heated up by the hot air box and hot air tube. The hotter the engine bay environment, the hotter the air box will be.

my bad.
i read it back to front, thinking you're saying fitting one would reduce engine bay temps

Only a total fucking maniac would remove the engine blanket, it keeps the engine toasty in winter.

So if I live in sunny California I can remove it and save .5 lbs of weight?

>winter
What's that?

t. texan, get to use 10w30 and summer tires all year