I dont understand why anyone would want to buy a new car?

I dont understand why anyone would want to buy a new car?

I mean it was understandable before because the 60s-80s commuter cars were kinda garbage
but in the 90s and 00s we kind of got that shit down pat
I feel like everything modern is just an inferior version of a car from the 90s
you can get better MPG and reliability from the 90s
you can get something driver oriented and fun to drive from the 90s

Most of these cars don't break the bank, not even in repairs

I just don't get this man. Modern cars just seem kind of shitty.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2016/01/06/63-of-americans-dont-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-500-emergency/#18d306dde19d
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5671063792.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>inb4 can i have some of that pizza
No, shut the fuck up.

Mechanically inept vehicle owners prefer new cars for their warranty. Being responsible for the operating condition of a vehicle scares the fuck out of a lot of people.

I buy new because I don't want someone else's garbage.
I'm far from inept when it comes to mechanical repair and general car care.

But with 90s cars, especially if your the average person who does not give a single fuck. You can get a Corolla or Prizm or Metro and just putt putt along

and this broken logic is why companies get to keep giving us shit

Modern day pussies can't into cars they think it's for poor people
New cars
>Creature comforts
>Tech
>Warranty

Old shit box
>Constant repairs here and there

Then don't buy garbage. Buy a good condition used car.

Not wanting it just because someone else owned it is pretty vain.

Most of the price of newer cars comes from all the gimmicky bullshit tacked onto it.
To keep the price down, the overall quality of everything else takes a huge hit.

People nowadays don't like driving. They just buy a car because they need to. So they just buy whatever car has the most comfort, or they get a new car because it's less maintenance since the parts are practically new.

>Constant repairs here and there
did you bother to read what you typed?

you are literally retarded

>constant repairs
Nah son

The broken logic of the previous owners waiting to 0% to change oil is why cars are built to shit standards. No profit in building a car that runs trouble free for 20 yrs.
See above

Modern conveniences. New cars come with fancy buttons and screen, and all sorts of ergonomics shit. Hands-free calls so you can chat to your friends in traffic, a music system that isn't a cassette player, etc.

Sure, there's an aftermarket solution for stuff like this but your average commuter isn't savvy enough to install Flash without including several search bars, let alone putting a new audio system in.

Also you look like a poorfag in your 90s Civic hatch with sun-damaged paint and dented-in bumpers. Regular people care about appearances, and newish cars are perceived as living a lifestyle of more than sleeping on a mattress on the floor and eating cup noodles for each meal.

>leeping on a mattress on the floor and eating cup noodles for each meal.

But that's precisely what I do user

gimme the fuckin pie faggot

Do you own a 90s shitbox or are you raped at the pocket paying off a new appliance car?

>No profit in building a car that runs trouble free for 20 yrs
Clearly that's why reliability of cars has made leaps and bounds over the last 40 years.

It's called competition. If one brand makes super reliable cars, then they get all the customers, causing the other brands to increase quality to win customers back.

Neither - recently got a license but I'm too much of a poorfag student to buy a decent car.

My new car is mine and mine alone.

I will take care of it. I will be the only one driving it. It will be a thing of legends as my family grows up in it.

When it finally dies and we move on, my son will be in college, my daughter in high school, and I will have a trunk full of memories that belong to only us.

Yeah and cars went from working prefectly fine like a early 90s toyota camary or silverado. To shitboxes like current vws and bmws that bankrupt you very time shit breaks. O and there's the whole new bikers starting on fire and vw lie in about emissions thing to

haha wow thats cringe

Bimmers, fucking phone

Newsflash: you can also own a used car that you own alone. Once the title is transferred you are the one and only owner.

Why does the concept of previous ownership even matter? it's not like you'll be the only one that ever drives it. You'll still end up taking it to get new tires, or taking it to the shop

and you'll still have to hand over the keys to the mechanics who will work on it. Don't forget the guy that drove it off the assembly line, and the guy that drove it onto the transport truck, or the salesman that drove it into the car lot, and the unknown number

of asses in the drivers seat for test drives. "New" is only a technical status for paperwork. It doesn't mean "never used".

This has been true for fucking ever.

>ordering a plain cheese pizza

Are you a female?

>Toyota
World renown for reliability for basically forever

>BMW
World renown for reliability basically never in history.

the moment you drive a new car off the lot it becomes used.

Used cars are fine IF you know what to look for when purchasing which most of you don't.

>euroboxes
>ever reliable

What universe are you from?

I dont like anything else
I go with thin crust well done , maybe with a bit of garlic
then i add a bunch of spices to it

>not getting stuffed crust or at the very least some pepperoni

None of that stuff matters when its covered in cayenne and oregano with some garlic touches

Lots of dealers sell ex-service loaners, test units, and employee leases/demos as "new" because they have never been registered to any owner but the dealership.

The second a new car hits the lot chances are some young kid who doesn't care or even like cars is thrashing it around on a cold start and blasting the stereo.

I worked beside a BMW dealer where I could see them washing new cars with a brush and blasting the sound system almost every car they had.

How do you know your son is going to college?

One of the biggest reasons is financing, at least in North America.

Most people don't have the cash for even a new-ish used car, so they have to finance it and the banks/lenders usually give a more preferable rate and longer term on a newer car because in the case of a repossession they will be taking back a newer more valuable asset than a twice used car.

The krauts are a meticulous people by nature; constant preventative maintenance is normal to them. Granted the 190D Mercedes is an indestructible tank and still stylish to boot.

>most people are full grown adults with not even 15k in cash
Fuck me

>washing new cars with a brush
Ugh. I took my car to get an oil change at the Ford dealer once, because it was only $40 for oil and filter, when it would have cost me at least $30 to do it myself.

They said they would wash the car after it was done. I told them no thanks. I didn't need a dirty gravely rag dragged over my paint.

The only way you should buy a new car is to pay for it fully in my opinion.

Also, if you're gonna buy a car, fucking keep it. Seriously, hearing anyone mention "depreciation" makes me cringe.

So anyone with good financial sense makes you cringe?

If you're going to buy a car keep it. Agreed.
Fuck off

>I need a new appliance every 3 years so that the neighbors don't think I'm a poorfag

If it runs, it should suffice for commuting from A to B. Be it an old Corolla or a new 328i.

Kek.
>good financial sense
>someone translates to having to show off to the neighbors
Did you even read what I wrote?

I hate electric steering I hate drive by wire I hate CVT I hate direct injection I hate infotainment I hate all this fucking BULLSHIT

You know who makes new cars for me? Fucking mitsubishi, and thats because they ran out of money and have to use the same cars and the same platforms for a fucking decade.
Fuck cars from the 2010s and anything after if it keeps going like this.

New cars brake faster and are safer. They handle better and have driver AIDS like stability control that helps the car go around things while going fast on the highway without losing control.

They ruined the NSX by having all this shit in it
It literally is just a lap times machine, there is no driver engagement at all

>driver AIDS
Was this intentional?

acronym
assisted internet driving safety

>I hate electric steering I hate drive by wire I hate CVT I hate direct injection I hate infotainment I hate all this fucking BULLSHIT
>I hate direct injection

One of these things is not like the other

I think most people are answering OP's question: normies buying new cars who are mechanically inept.

Since these people are considered mechanically inept, why would I buy a used when when looking for a car can feel like walking through a minefield or pointless?

because used cars aren't nearly as unreliable as they use to be

t. poorfag

Can't the nanny features be disabled for an "Elon wishes he had balls this big" mode?

I mean
Not really
It's never all gone because the car is built around this shit.

Much lower interest rates.
Factory warranty. Have you seen the ripoff warranties they offer for used cars?
Lower maintenance costs due to things like better fuel efficiency and longer oil life.
Obviously knowing where it's been is a huge plus.

If they want a new car. Let them fuckibg have it.
Its their money and its what they want.

Used cars are cheaper and a just as good as a new car but its not what they want.

A pedal bicycle is an even better deal than a used car but its not what you want

Where do you think used cars come from?

You're on Veeky Forums, home of clueless poorfags who think the S2000, P71, MX5 and whatever the fuck else meme mobile is the pinnacle of engineering.

People buy new cars because they can. Think of all the shit you buy because you want it and because you can. I doubt even half the shit anyone in a 1st or even 2nd world country buys makes the most financial sense. It might be because of fear of breaking down, it might be because of not wanting to look poor. Whatever it is, it's perceived value and you're never going to fully explain it because that perceived value is different for everyone.

When you're a broke ass bus rider like most of the faggots on this board, of course buying a new car doesn't make sense. They have different priorities, therefore a different perception of value.

Now shut the fuck up and don't worry about how Chad spends his money. Someone's gotta buy new cars so there are used ones for us poorfags later on.

>hating direct injection

that's not near the bullshit level of the rest of the shit you posted

direct injection is pretty based imo, but I might decide to 4ag my 4age

its not about used cars being cheaper
its about used cars/older cars being better

>more and more idiots distracted driving
i'd rather have a more modern car with advanced safety features than a 20-30 year old shitbox. accidents are called what they are because they aren't intended / avoidable.

>old cars are shitboxes
this just isnt the case anymore

ok, they aren't shitboxes, but by contrast nearly, if not all cars that are 20-30 years old have no kind of active accident avoidance system or anywhere near the number of airbags compared to current offerings.

what sort of person makes threads like these?
why do you even think of such things?
do you think anyone is going to listen to you and just shut down the worlds car industry?

I wish the shitty phone drivers were in shitboxes with no airbags t b h

why do people make any threads on here? fuck off you pretentious asshole

the op and ones like it are the epitome of pretentiousness you muppet

Fuck out of here with that liberal mentality faggot

Normally I'm a big supporter of buying used, especially for normie beater cars. But low-cost sporty cars I think are actually better to buy new. What I mean by that are things like the Civic Si, Subaru WRX or BRZ, Golf GTI, etc. mostly just because you aren't saving a ton of money buying used over MSRP like you would by buying a decade old M or AMG, and they're beat on by idiots who don't care to maintain their car, and sometimes end up being more of problem cars than an aging AMG Merc.
This only holds true if you aren't buying 15+ year-old models of the sportier cheap cars, those you normally save enough money to justify repairs. But a MKV GTI or an FG2 Si or any WRX just aren't worth fucking with. They've been treated like shit, and will break a lot once you get a hold of them used. Buying a used BRZ is really appealing because 25k is a lot when you can't benchrace with it, but the enormous faggots that drop the money to buy them new make the used market hellish to deal with secondhand. Even if the car looks fine when you get it, it may have problems come up in short order that are hard to tell they'd happen soon.

forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2016/01/06/63-of-americans-dont-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-500-emergency/#18d306dde19d

Our economic "recovery" post-2008 isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I used to feel this way. When I was working 30-40 hours a week, had all the free time in the world and not a lot of money I liked working on my cars and never minded old shit boxes.

Working 60 hours a week and having other hobbies means I don't want to spend my free time lying on my back in the driveway hoping I can get my car back on the road in time for whatever I have going on.

So I still have an old shitbox to tinker with when the mood strikes me but for every day driving I want something with less problems and a warranty to cover what problems do come up.

I think part of the problem is also that the fuckhead kids that buy them first are the kind that see they can make the payment, but don't notice they won't have much money for other stuff once they make their monthly payment, so they can't actually maintain them for shit.

>IF IT RUNS LMAO

And then you go out and ditch your base model corolla for a new STI because it's a boring econobox and you don't commute A to B and see driving as a chore. In fact, you break a good few traffic laws when the highway is empty.

before 2010 all the safety ratings are based on the same tests

driver aids are for people that can't drive. do you buy a wheelchair instead of shoes if you can walk just because some people can't? would you if most people couldn't?

I bought a new car because i wanted one.

I bought the successor of the car i previously owned because it has been made better, stronger and safer with the same engine that has been refined and produces more power.
The fuel tank is bigger, car is lighter, handles better and goes faster.
My old car was good, and i have all the tools and equipment available to repair it and enjoy doing so even though it never actually broke down.
However my old car had fucked paint, fucked brakes, a clutch with not all that much left with my driving style. Paint is a major fix and not worth doing, brakes and clutch are doable and not that difficult but probably have change from $1500 to bring the car back to normal, ie no major improvement. The engine had a minor oil leak which is again fixable but for what gain? same story for gearbox.
once all thats done would need a set of tyres, more money gone for no major gain.

So i sold it for 500 less than what i bought it for after 2 years of ownership and added 20 grand to sale price of old car and have a brand new awesome car which i will own for many years and once warranty ends i will work on it myself like previous car and still ended up with change.

I paid cash for it and will never have to spend the money again in repairs as it will be kept in perfect condition. My logic is i could have poured money into the old car but it wouldn't have actually made it worth anything more.

Because for some people modern comforts make an otherwise tedious commute bearable.

I still have my shitboxes to thrash around on the weekends, and I still have my truck to do work and go offroad... but I couldn't imagine going on repeat 400 mile weekly trips in any of them.

Small quality of life improvements like 8+ way power seating, climate control, heated/cooled seats, remote start, etc make having a modern commuter car nice.

>freedom is bad
Kill yourself, statist cunt.

cars are all about the dick wagging contest.

what do you need a car for? get from a to b. can a $3000 toyota do that for you with minimum cost? yup.

cost less for an engine rebuild on a 90s toyota than new brakes on a land rover.

>$3000 toyota do that for you with minimum cost

kek i've never paid more than 400 for a car. effectivly i can by 5 cars and run them for a year each with that, not including petrol obvs.

>Someone's gotta buy new cars so there are used ones for us poorfags later on.

Basically this.

Why get worked up about people buying new cars when the used car you're driving was also once new?
Not everyone wants to drive around in someone else's beater Accord. Or deal with rice tax on "fun to drive" cars which have more often than not been abused and molested to hell and back.
If someone can afford to buy a new car then more power to them, if that's what they really want. And if they can't and they go upside down on their payments, so what. It's not like it's your problem.

i live in australia so price is different but i bought my first car a 98 corolla for $3k with 89000km on it in 2010. it lasted me until february this year. only main problem i had was getting a wheel bearing changed.

recently bought a 2007 corolla because i had the money to upgrade.

i have a cbr1000rr for my fun which cost $10 000. a lot cheaper than a sports car which could keep up and with less drama.

i bought a mid 70's corolla 5 years ago for $500 with 88k on it. Replaced the head and refurbished the cooling system, the car runs perfect to this day. Used cars are fine if you're not a retard and can pick used cars effectivley

What I don't understand is the whole distracted driving thing. You preach about it, you say it is bad (given it actually is)... But you put touch screens and phones in the car. The radio is sometimes too much for people to handle, they always have to play with it.

That pizza looks amazing, I'm so hungry now.
I kinda agree OP, new cars just don't feel the same.

chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5671063792.html

is this good

>better milage
Where did you pull this fact from OP?

>Not wanting it just because someone else owned
More like, not wanting it because previous dumb ass owners treated it like shit and maintained it poorly (if at all).

That fucking pizza looks so good

>you can get better MPG and reliability from the 90s
Lol, no

>Most of these cars don't break the bank, not even in repairs
Lol, no

Normal people want a smooth quiet ride that gets 35mpg and they can drive for 100k miles without even thinking twice about reliability. A car from the 90's doesn't offer all of those at the same time.

You're $5,000 shitbox is not better than a new car, bud.

same

>nearly, if not all cars that are 20-30 years old have no kind of active accident avoidance system or anywhere near the number of airbags compared to current offerings.

>tfw LatAm
>tfw only higher trim new cars have safety shit you faggots get on the base models like airbags, ABS, rear cameras, etc.
>all those safety measures will be mandatory... until 2020
>cars are more expensive too, despite being assembled in-country

They might buy it and keep it for 10 years, thus saving money on replacing a 5k crap box every 2-4years

When i sniff my seat i only want to smell my farts

>you can get better MPG and reliability from the 90s

>reliability

1991 Honda dx hatch civic here

Don't mind me, just basically gone through the entire car and replaced literally everything. I've only done around 2300 miles in the past 6 months of owning it.

I can't say I've had to do the same to our new toyota corolla. in fact, all it has needed is oil changes and some tires and it has almost 50,000 miles.

also the fuel economy thing

my civic has 62 hp with an "HF" engine. its possibly the most fuel efficient civic in north America. and i get around 40 mpg

a new prius does 50 avg

so this is basically a thread for poorfags that can't afford modern transportation?

>having only one vehicle
>not having the ability to complete regular maintenance in a timely fashion

we just dont live in a reality where used cars are shitboxes anymore.

>>tfw only higher trim new cars have safety shit you faggots get on the base models like airbags, ABS, rear cameras, etc.

2019 mate, soon. But well, there are some not higher trim cars that have all the safety stuff. got a comfortline golf mk7, 7 airbags and dsg. cool stuff.

Arrogance in one post ladies and gentlemans

>gun is empty

nah

Cars are consumables.