>coach tells that if I fell on the evaluation it's immediate fail
>fell when taking a U turn
>evaluation time
>got perfect zero
well that was something

msf a shit

a cbr1200

Read the sticky.

used ninja 250 off craigslist for 1300 and resell it in a year for the same price.

>used ninja 250 off craigslist for 1300
It's been a month since I passed and the cheapest I found was $2300 for a salvaged one.

Oldfag reporting - I'm 44.
>grandpa dies when I'm a teen.
>has 1981 honda c70 "passport" (google it)
>grandma gives it to me
>I take test on a 70 cc scooter
>wasn't 18 yet, had to take the class
>go through all the drills/aspects of the test on the same course as the test multiple times
>test day arrives
>all my classmates there plus a bunch of randos
>one blonde chick (rando), super hot - 9/10, sport bike, matching leathers, boots, graphics helmet
>she fucks up the first part of the test, offset cones, puts her foot down in first 10 seconds
>insta-fail
>all my classmates pass
>still have 1981 honda c70 in my shed

This is me 3 years ago

>browse /dbt/ for a couple months after I decide I want to get into motorcycling
>pick out all the gear I want to wear, ATTGATT!
>Spend a grand on leathers and helmet
>Oh boy! Now I can pick out a bike!
>get memed on hard by the 250 meme and try out a ninja 250
>what a joke, hated it
>hear the other side of /dbt/ saying 'fuck 250s, get a SV'
>find a SV6t50 in excellent condition
>call to see if I can look at it
>"Yeah, I got someone looking at it at 10am though"
>I'll be there at 9
>ride it, fall in love with it
>buy it for $2000

Been riding it ever since. Looking to get into a new bike though. Thinking about getting into a liter bike

this is my story; if I don't like it, I'll end it here...
>took the MSF course at my local community college
>passed but I was given shit for my long hair and putting my foot down too quick after a full stop
>first bike was a Suzuki Katana 600cc
>loved it to death but broke down every other month due to carb issues
>my friend had a Yamaha R1 that he was getting rid of due to moving across the country and didn't want to take it with him
>pick it up for $1000 + reg. fees
>been riding for 5 years, wouldn't trade it for anything

what year R1? I haven't had carb issues on my SV, knock on wood

it's a 2005 R1 but when I got it, it had 35 total miles on it (it has 13k on it now and no issues so far)

also, the R1 is fuel injected, the Katana had the carb problems

Hot damn that's a sweet deal. Mad jelly

You think a liter bike would be a fine upgrade after a SV650, or should I go 600 first?

Congratulations op.

I'm avoiding taking the course because I have nothing to practice on and I'm honestly scared I'll embarrass myself.

sv guy here, I had nothing to practice on at all and passed the course with flying colors.

The course gives you the tools to ride, just do it and get a bike after to hone them.

Lately everyone has been saying to not take the course without practicing everywhere I read online, it isn't reassuring at all.

Dmv a shit

Don't be a wuss, I had a girl in the class that stalled at least 20 times and dropped the bike at least 10 times. She was also the only one that failed the course.
I dropped the bike once during emergency brake practice because I looked to the left after stopping and also turned the handle to the left for some reason. I just threw the thumbs up and everyone was laughing, it's a fun course don't take it too serious.

yeah got really lucky on that one
as for the upgrade, liter bike would be fine assuming you haven't crashed or laid down the SV650; just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to use it but be warned, the riding posture is radically different that what you're used to

My experience with the course is this

>4 hours of classroom, and 4 hours of riding the first day
>first day of riding consisted of sitting on the bike
>starting the bike
>walking the bike
>power-walking the bike
>up shifting
>finding neutral
>and going around in a circle.

I did a low-speed drop one time, here's the story

>got off work and was excited to get home
>fired up my bike, shoot the shit with co-workers as it warms up
>they leave, I hop on the bike
>get to the end of the parking lot, getting ready to turn right
>complete turn and goose the throttle
>back end kicks out due to cold tire
>chop the throttle
>high side, bike slides away from me
>rear set cracked, turn signals fucked, and frame slider was completely worn down.
>fixed it up and it's good as new

I then realized that my rear tire was from 2003 and my front was from 2007, so I got a new set of pilot power 3s and called it good

>frame slider
At least you prepared to done goof.

I have that same fear, especially since I'm rusty on stick shift (learned to drive on one but it's been years) and I don't ride a bicycle often. I've never been on anything motorized with two wheels either which I think is probably not the norm going into the MSF.

Oh well, my course is in 2 weeks, we'll see how it goes. I'm honestly not TOO worried, since if I fail all I have to do is go get a permit and either
A) convince my dad to pull his wife's bike out of storage and unfuck the carbs so I can practice (it's an '85 Nighthawk 650)
B) buy a piece of shit bike for like $1000 to sell immediately after I get a real endorsement

After it's all said and done I plan on getting a CBR250. They're cheap, fuel injected, and they seem easy to maintain. I'm 6'2" but the thing doesn't seem uncomfortable.

Frame sliders can do more harm when going down.

>nighthawk

My dream bike.
Im a noobie looking into taking a training course then going to the dmv.
Nighthawks have always interested me since i like old Hondas.

I heard of a frame slider causing a frame to crack, too. Also on a SV. Guess I got a lucky roll

Honestly they seem like nice, comfortable bikes and I'd totally ride one but it's been suggested to me by a few other people to look into something newer and fuel injected if I'd rather not spend much time wrenching on it. I'm looking for something I could feasibly rely on to commute so something newer than 30 years old serves my needs a little better.

I loved my nighthawk.

It wasn't a big nighthawk, it was the little 450CBSC nighthawk.

Man, I did everything to that bike besides tearing down the engine. New fork seals, new front rotor, caliper rebuild, SS brake lines, new shoes and pads (lol rear drums)... Hell I got new mikuni carbs and boots to get rid of those shitty CV carbs. I mean literally everything I could touch was new besides body farings and internals.

Then some shithead decides to cross a double yellow on a blind corner, forcing me to either head on or bail down a embankment.

Still have the bike. Bodywork is roughed up, seat needs a new cover which I have. Only thing is finding some decent fucking headlight mounting tabs. the headlight is mounted to some tabs by the shocks, and everything I have found has been rusted to shit and cracked.

I fucking LOVE that style of bike, im so jealous.
Like its not flashy at all, looks like it has a comfy riding position, and has a very plain jane look.
God i want one.

Would it be stupid if i bought a project bike and rebuilt everything myself?

Im mechanically inclined, just never tinkered with a motorcycle.

the slide happened to the R1 before I got the bike
previous owner panic'd when he hit water in a residential neighborhood and gassed it as he was going down
fairings were destroyed and the crank case got scratched the internals were still solid
hasn't been down since but I ride like an old man outside of long open straights

My only experience was in bicycles, once a long time ago, I got on a moped for a few feet.

>take MSF which is required for a motorcycle endorsement
>first day was very good
>learn clutch, brakes and controls
>drive a manual so i already have a good grasp on it
>second day very good, make a few mistakes but recover by the end of the day
>instructors give me thumbs up with very little coaching
>take test at end of second day
>first eval
>stall the bike, even though I probably stalled it 3 times in the whole 2 days
>cant make the turn, foot down, run over a cone
>can't make the U-turn
>fuck me wtf
>second eval
>brake test
>first run, so nervous I brake way too early
>second try brake so hard I lay the goddamn bike down
>no injuries but feel like complete shit
>get insta fail for dropping bike

I rarely ever fail at anything I get my mind set on but I guess my nerves, heat and stress contributed to my complete fuckery.

Later on I took the test again after some practice on the obstacles and passed it with ease.

I have never myself as well.

I loved the 80's era of bikes. Back straight, literally a standard according to bike specs. Now a days, you only have 2 "real" choices, a crotch rocket or a cruiser.

I really enjoy a standard. This has your back straight and can allow leaning forward if needed (like hardcore turns).

I have driven cruisers, they really hurt my tailbone after a few hours. Sportbikes tend to kill my back as well. Seriously, I am 29 with no back problems. I enjoy a standard bike, as I choose if I want to be upright during normal riding or cinch down for speed runs.

My bike history is a 82 yamaha seca 650 (first bike)
90 R100 yahama dirtbike
86 450 nighthawk 450sbsc
79 Yamaha xs1100

I totally digg the bikes of that gen.

As far as
>Would it be stupid if i bought a project bike and rebuilt everything myself?

NO! I was in the same boat as you. I could do whatever, but never on a bike. I bought this bike and suddenly it was easy as pie.

I have FSMs of a ton of bikes, these were literally the model T's of bikes. Not to say they were antique, but they were basic. I love this. Modern bikes have nothing on this classic style and engineering.

Might have to buy a Nighthawk with the money i have stowed away from my Taxes.
Maybe even a rebuild kit for it.

Ive tinkered with alot of 2 strokes over the years, as a kid i would take apart, clean, and rebuild my dads and uncles yard equipment.

Im not saying the Nighthawk is a 2stroke but yeah.

I imagine i can prob find an aftermarket seat and make it even more comfy

Good luck on the aftermarket seat on a 450. Corbin doesn't even make one.

>1981 honda c70
i dig those, can't find a decent one on craigslist or anywhere though

laws a shit
who cares if I went 40 in a 25, just pass me you fucking jew, you just want another $50
jokes on him I'm taking the test somewhere else

I did a hi speed drop ones
>cold winter and frost on the gravel roads
>going 60, come to a curve
>slow down to 50
>o shit, a ice appears to be on the turn
>eat shit, bike slides 10 feet into a dirt hill
>face first into the gravel
>deep scratches on helmet visor
>mirror shattered, blinker shattered, clutch lever snapped, grips torn to fuck, bike scratched to fuck
>chipped front tooth