Why did detroit diesel die

why did detroit diesel die

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EnN1i9LjAw0&t=1m53s
youtube.com/watch?v=BgqJ6jfCBw0
youtube.com/watch?v=h_KvaHf3XHo
trucktrend.com/features/1604-2006-dodge-charger-and-2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-rule-the-street-with-diesels-underhood/
youtu.be/pQnA6nsgZEo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic
westrac.com.au/Industries/Pages/Highway_Truck.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnv27BRCmuZqMg_Ddmt0BEiQAgeY1l7fxK3CR7adtYx399vm145W7zlZO_9-RS6A5bUrCBwYaAi288P8HAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mercedes.

2 stroke diesels couldn't pass newer emission standards

They haven't.

They're not dead.
I'm going to put a glorious 6v53 in a trashy k10 someday.

Pretty much all highway diesels died with the new emissions shit.

Doesn't mean the company is defunct. What emission changes have there been recently? Won't most trucks be grandfathered in?

In some places yes, I learnt how to drive truck on a screaming Jimmy. Still see quite a few around today emissions are literally not a big deal here

Relevant
Some people hate the way these things sound, but I love the fact that they sound like they're going to explode at 2500rpm

youtube.com/watch?v=EnN1i9LjAw0&t=1m53s

they used to be optional in just about anything.

I don't even know the year when they passed the law. 2009? 2012? The truckerfag thread would know. But ever since all US trucks started to be made with DPF's, reliability just went to hell. There is so much more to go wrong now.

But it's not like old trucks had to be retrofitted. Lots of people prefer the older trucks because less shit goes wrong despite having higher mileage. I drive an older KW with a good old CAT because the newer Internationals always have problems.

CAT doesn't even make highway engines anymore. They are dead in semi trucks. The truckerfag thread was saying that CAT got out of the game with the new emissions laws because they didn't feel like building garbage engines like everybody else had to so they stuck to off-road diesel.

Yeah, it's not like you can't operate a 2 stroke Detroit, but they can't build new ones anymore.
They were pretty much on the way out before all the emission shit though. Loud as fuck, narrow powerband.

that feeling when driving a glorious N14
better than any cat

This is a Detroit in a Kenworth. Since they got bought by Daimler, I don't think you can get it anymore. Detroits only come in Freightliners and Western Stars now (which are both owned by Daimler). Not sure if Daimler owns a bus company.

Kenworths and Petes only come with Paccars or Cummins now. No more CATs or Detroits.

Still found in industrial equipment

once upon a time detroit was an ambitions company. they had plans, pic related

Miss the old Pete we had at work, 2.5mil Km no rebuilds

what pete?

Hnng. That thing would be GOAT in an old Jeep Cherokee.

What was the appeal of a Detroit compared to a Cummins or CAT motor? Sorry if this question seems like it would be common knowledge, but I know fuck all about trucks and their drivetrain.

2awesome2live

youtube.com/watch?v=BgqJ6jfCBw0

`89 379 looked almost identical to pic

CAT is too busy making a Tier 4 prime mover to bother with insignificant highway engines.

The one thing people liked about the DD Series 60 is that every fucking truck on the road had one in them a few years back. So you could break some obscure part on one in the middle of Wyoming on a Sunday night and find the part to fix it and be rolling by Monday morning. That's a reason some people hate on Volvos. When the truck is broken, you are losing money and can't wait a week to get a part when you are stranded wherever.

Those big engines are dope. This one hotel I deliver to sometimes, they have a big ass CAT generator right by the loading dock that is the size of a Suburban. Just like pic related. I'm always just checking it out when I walk past.

How do you explain the CT660 and 680?
Both of those models are made for on-highway with CAT engines.
CAT saw what was coming and they weren't gonna trash their reputation, unlike international with the double egr nonsense.

>How do you explain the CT660 and 680?

They have Navistar engines under the hood.

but detroit made them too.

youtube.com/watch?v=h_KvaHf3XHo

look at that big boy

haha yeah but have you guys seen this shit?

trucktrend.com/features/1604-2006-dodge-charger-and-2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-rule-the-street-with-diesels-underhood/

wait how many hp is 1.8 million watts?

>You're misinformed
Got it.

that's a k30, and that exact truck, with a 6v53t, a nv5600 and a ranger OD(gives working 4x4 splitting, gear vendor doesn't) is my fucking dream.

i bet the ground shakes when this runs
16V149TIB DDEC III

>built by Navistar
Gross.

I don't think I have ever seen one of those on the road. They probaby just strap on a bunch of bullshit Navistar emissions stuff. I can imagine it now- Navistar emissions reliability but nobody besides the CAT dealer will touch it since nobody deals with newer highway CAT engines anymore...

Thought CAT had started building engines again. Although I heard that from my dad who's working with the mining dump trucks.

Why do they need so many dump trucks do they have short lives or something?

I just heard they died in the trucker threads. Idk. But when you look on websites, seems like every truck is offered with their engine (Maxxforce, Dertroit, or Paccar) or an optional Cummins.

youtu.be/pQnA6nsgZEo

Is there anything better then a screaming jimmy?

that might be something like a last gasp
this entire thread seems a bit sad and nostalgic

I want to learn more about two stroke diesels.
They still used direct injection?
Were they turbocharged? I can't hear turbo/supercharger whine on a lot of older models
Why even bother with two stroke?

Does DD make two stroke crate engines? If not, somebody force them to make one.

The Marine corps still uses Detroit diesel In their LAV's, I see it every single day

>use direct injection
I think most diesels do
something along the lines of high compression ratios requiring more fuel pressure

>were they turbocharged
yes and other times super charged
of course with two stoke being what it is more consideration would be put towards intake and exhaust overlap that what 4 stroke has to deal with

>Why even bother with two stroke
it can have fewer parts such as in ported types
but this is only really significant in larger marine engines

and if the head and piston have good flow the extra power strokes per crank revolution can be handy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

Thanks user!

If you're an Ausfaggot, they never stopped selling them. Although no longer as a third party supplier to other manufacturers, but in their own range of rebadged Prostars.
westrac.com.au/Industries/Pages/Highway_Truck.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnv27BRCmuZqMg_Ddmt0BEiQAgeY1l7fxK3CR7adtYx399vm145W7zlZO_9-RS6A5bUrCBwYaAi288P8HAQ

I load those "MHK" trucks (in the owner review breakout) quite often, and the drivers have not much but good things to say about them. They were specifically optioned for tipper work complete with short wheelbase, 18 speed, inter and cross locks.

because diesel is cancer

Gud post fgt

That's because everything in the Marines is old as balls desu

I believe lots of those giant container ships still use 2-stroke diesels. Those things also run at incredibly low speeds.

They are turbocharged and direct injected. Diesels really benefit from FI, so they did supercharge them as well back in the day I think. Helps them get the high compression and pressure needed to ignite the fuel.

And the FI/Turbos are great for 2-strokes because they help to push the exhaust gasses out during the little valve overlap. The direct injection also means 2-stroke diesels are more efficient than your standard leaf blower 2-stroke. With the overlap in a 2-stroke without DI, some unused fuel will escape out the exhaust during the valve overlap when the fresh air is replacing the exhaust.

If all works well, 2-strokes can theoretically put out twice the power of a 4-stroke in the same size engine at the same RPM.

At least that's what I remember from reading a couple web pages on it years ago.

old detroits could be compound charged as well. I've seen an old fire truck with a detroit v8 that had both.

whoever uses a diesel engine to pull less than 2 tons (including the car) needs to be sterilised.

I have a soft spot for high displacement diesel engines

1.8kk watt = 1800kW = ~ 2300hp

Short answer: GM

sounds like something needs adjusting it idles terrible

Mic quality is shit in that vid.
Looks like an early GoPro which come with shitting built in mics.

The CAT LEE and SDP engines were both emissions engines. they did make them but not for long.

>no common rail
kek, is this the 80s?

Detroit Diesel made engines exclusively for big vehicles to do big things. That bus you ride probably has a Detroit Diesel engine in it.

Cool. But no, it has an Italian engine in it. Perks of having good public transport (i.e. not American). So I can choose to take a bus/tram/metro (and not die or smell horribly, or arrive the next day), or drive one of my cars to work.

>UR YUROPOOR ANYWAY

>Perks of having good public transport (i.e. not American).
>implying American urban areas don't have extensive public transport
>implying public transport is feasible in non-urban areas and gigantic sprawling countries
lol
>europeein education at work

Education? More like personal experience of about 8 large American cities. Yes, your public transportation sucks sweaty balls.

Surely someone like yourself, who has never left the country, will find that unbelievable, but that's the problem with hicks.

But I will stop hijacking the thread now

You're driving my point home lol
>all this butthurt
>all this implying of false things

>I'm wrong therefore I'm right
>ameritards in charge of logic

thats about the size of the engine that is in the haybuster our contractor use to cut straw with for us.

the entire assembly is mounted on a flat semi trailer, and it eats an 800kg bale in about 30 seconds. shits cray.

no matter how big you imagine that engine is, it is much bigger in real life. and oh yeah. its loud. sadly last time he only ran at half capacity because of a blown gasket :(

No-one wants to live in europe.

Hey look, a Yuropoor derails another thread with one of their typical conmebts.

>tfw Ameriburgers have the freedom to drive their cars whenever they want
>and it's affordable for the average person!
Feels good.