Trucks that aren't 4x4

Is there even a point to them? Why do they exist? If you own a truck and it isn't 4x4, why do you own a truck? Help me understand the logic.

Other urls found in this thread:

4wheeldrive.about.com/od/offroad4x4atv4wd/a/offroadstats.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For towing, dumbass.

For hauling, dumbass.

For drifting, dumbass.

For commuting, dumbass.

>implying this cant be done on 2L

I have a ute, why would I want a truck? I don't need to move 40 tons.

>Did you know?...
>15% is the industry standard for "number of 4x4s that actually go off-road".

4wheeldrive.about.com/od/offroad4x4atv4wd/a/offroadstats.htm

Trucks used to all be 2 wheel drive. 4x4 was mainly used for agricultural purposes.
Then everybody got on the bandwagon of "it's more expensive, it must be better". Why get a nice set of snow tires when you can buy a more expensive truck?
That's why 90% of trucks sold to consumers in America are skyscraping luxomobiles.

>commuting
>in a truck
>no 4x4
>not a car
>no handling, speed or fun

This is what Veeky Forums actually believes

>Higher upfront cost
>Worse gas mileage

What's the point if you might use it once every three years?

>implying offroading is the only use for 4x4

what's wrong with that?
the rear end is light enough to do burn outs in, I can haul shit, it gets alright mileage, it's high enough off the ground to do easy maintenance and it handles better in snow than a car.

>Using 4x4 for snow
>Living above the Mason Dixon

>I need the TRD Offroad package! What if I want to cross Utah in a continuous straight line one day. It's worth the extra $10,000!

I have done the extent of what I'll ever do with good old RWD. You can go pretty deep in the woods without 4x4 and lockers and skid plates. Everyone wants to pretend like they are going to really get in some shit but they never will.

2WD in the snow is basically a bigger, heavier car. Slipping and sliding and shit. 4x4 on snow and ice provides stability and better traction, power and handling. More leeway when hauling, towing, pulling shit out of the ground, in the mud, in the rain, in any condition basically.

Have fun hauling this from Kansas to Idaho with your 2L, shit dick.

4x4 isn't going to do shit on ice

>hauling ponies to the Stampede and the fifth wheel to the lake on weekends

but I like 2wd in snow, I like drifting in snow, I like when I'm going in a straight line and I give it slightly more gas and the rear end swings out so I can turn the wheel accordingly and continue in a straight line sideways.

I want to find a d21 hardbody for a stock rwd scca rallycross playtoy...

But im weird.

But what other 2700 pound, 134 horse piles of shit with rwd and a stick could you pick up for a grand?

You've never driven on ice. Take a vehice that isnt four wheel drive for a rip over a lake when making a beer run and see how well that handles, buddy.

S10

I daily a d21, its the fuckin best

>4x4 isn't going to do shit on ice
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>I need the TRD Offroad package! What if I want to cross Utah in a continuous straight line one day. It's worth the extra $10,000!
Fuck man, I just want 4WD and some lockers, just make it a damn $2000 package instead of making me get the top goddamn trim for it.

Fuckin eh rights there bud

If you own a truck that has 4x4 but never engage 4x4 (which is damn near everyone who owns a 4x4), what's the point? Higher up front costs, higher maintenance costs, shittier fuel economy.

I specifically looked for a truck that was 2wd. It will never leave the pavement, and I have a car that can and has drove right passed the mall crawlers in the snow, so that point is meaningless. 4wd trucks around my area in PA are also about twice as expensive because of the image the "Rednecks" are trying to put forward.

I haul shit. I don't commute in it. I don't want to drag around a system I never use, or pay to maintain it. I need a bed to put construction material in, and when I'm finished, to haul away the waste.

I also like to be able to tow back cars that don't run when I buy them, because they're really cheap that way. I would be in 2wd for literally every scenario I can conceive of using my truck for.

Hence, the original usage of trucks. In australia the ute (was more than is) is used for shit like carrying hay or sheep on the back, then being able to use it as a normal onroad car. These are pretty far from offroad vehicles, basically being a rwd sedan with everything past the B-pillar lopped off and replaced with a tray. They're great, and the y don't need 4x4 to be useful.

because you can tow and carry payloads without 4x4?
You can drive in snow without 4x4? You get worse mileage and less payload ratings with 4x4? The insurance is higher?
are you like... serious? You've never owned a truck, have you.

4x4 eat up horsepower.

For people who daily trucks, there's very little point in 4x4.

2WD saves quite a bit on gas, and there's not much of a reason to get 4x4 or 4WD. Not every truck is meant to go offroad.

my pajero can swap between rwd and 4wd and the difference is maybe 1-2litres/100km maximum. I just keep it in constant 4wd.

That might be true if you live in Commiefornia...

2WD trucks suck ass in winter unless you load up the bed with 9000lbs of extra weight for traction, at that point you might as well drive a sedan.

I'm in Texas, and I drive my truck throughout the Southern US for work.

It's not just California that doesn't need 4x4, it's pretty much any Gulf Coast or Southwestern state,

I disguise it as bush so as to sneak up on other bush and tree that I cut down for money

If stuck in severe offroad situation like 2" mud, wet grass, or high center on stump causing bushing for driveshaft to break loose and make horrid scream sound, she is like large white woman, expects others to cater to her needs like princess, I must find small 4x4 Chevrolet truck to pull out

This is why small 4x4 Chevrolet and Dodge exist, so as to pull her out, is only reason they exist

day 20: other trees do not suspect am superduty

none, compact trucks are the only RWD 5 speed vehicle you can get for less than $3000 that isn't torn to shit nowadays.

literally this
also I have no friends so 2 seats is fine with me. That's why I bought a Ranger

Yeah, because you drive around all the time in 4 Hi in a part time 4WD.

You're generally retarded.

A jeep comanche.
They're right around 2700lbs if you've got the 4cyl and 2wd

Unless you have manual hubs, which most modern 4wd trucks do not, the front axles spin even when you're in 2wd, resulting in parasitic drag and thusly a loss in hp.

Don't call people retarded until you know you're not one. This is the epitome of retardation.

You need to be more specific with your posts then, otherwise you come across as a retard.

>the front axles spin even when you're in 2wd

This is true, however is next to no loss. The amount of torque on the free spinning axle, diff and front driveshaft of a large heavy truck with large tyres produces just by rolling makes it an issue not worrying about. I'd be more worried about your oversized mud tyres.

>resulting in parasitic drag

It would result in friction, not drag. Inertia would also play a part.

My front axles dont move when im in 2wd

i daily a ranger, its a lot of fun.

A 4x2 would be used for hauling shit

>Is there even a point to them?
Yea, actual truck shit. Full size pickups do not belong off road.

This.
That's only true if you don't have or don't know how to operate freewheeling hubs.
With there aren't a hell of a lot of 4x4 trucks out there without freewheeling hubs.

>With there aren't a hell of a lot of 4x4 trucks out there without freewheeling hubs.
There are a hell of a lot, you crackhead.

Such as?

Pretty much any half ton since the 1990s, for starters? Not to mention other 4WD vehicles that aren't pickups.

>He dosen't daily a ranger and a bike

Just because it's not a manual freewheeling machanism, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Which any half ton since 1990 most definitely does have, manual or auto.

????
Fuck you talking about. A driveshaft disconnect still leaves the differential and axles spinning.

>what the fuck are you talking about
Given that you're confused between "driveshaft disconnects" and "freewheeling mechanisms", I think you're a little out of your depth.
Protip, "freewheeling mechanisms" disconnect the wheel from the deferential.

>deferential
Ok nigga, I'm not gonna try with some retard like you

>focus on an auto correct error to distract on the topic at hand
Cool nice strawman

All these tools, who live in southern states, saying you don't need 4x4 in winter but have never actually seen a road drift over with 6 feet of snow or have never seen more then 2 inches of snow ever or have never lived in a rural area were the road washes out every time it rains

Stay retarded friends

I don't live in a snowy or muddy area, I carry work tools or material in the back sometimes, the road is kinda shit and the city floods (no need for 4x4 for that) when it rains so the ground clearance is nice.
Same with our contractor trucks, they just move shit around so the 4x4 is just extra money for an extra feature that's not needed.