Looks like oil change companies sell non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies

Looks like oil change companies sell non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.

Other urls found in this thread:

carfax.com/company/free-car-record-checks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

change your own oil?

>Not even changing your own oil

get the fuck out.

>non-anonymized mileage data
This isn't /g/ no one cares about muh freadumbs here

>Not changing your fucking oil

the land of the free start to look like a police state

>private companies interacting with private companies is a police state

This is still bullshit, but come the fuck on, user.

>he doesn't use only the finest open source oil
it's like you want the NSA to control your brain

>private companies
>police state

holy shit euro education at it's finest.

Got cucked by statefarm

I don't give a fuck as long as I can pollute as much as I want and burn tire on my driveway.

>not installing gentoo on your car

supposedly the ozone holes are shrinking over the ice caps, meaning we can have fun with engines again.
the market for 2-stroke cars looks bright.

Sounds like they requested it from a state inspection station.

>cucked
You guys still struggle with that term desu

Meh, just means we can have CFCs back and get the gud huffs again.

at least he was huffing team colors

The last two sentences are literally a fuck you. I switched from them to liberty mutual and pay half of what I did.

Start changing your own oil

>private insurance industry
>police
pick one idiot

That doesn't seem legal unless the oil change place has a policy posted somewhere, or you signed something.

Any legalfag able to weigh in on this?

Did they report when they changed your oil or was if for an inspection?

That doesn't seem legal unless the oil change place has a policy posted somewhere, or you signed something.

Any legalfag able to weigh in on this?

Also
>Google this issue
>2 results
>Some twitter post and this thread
>Same image and lack of details

I don't have a twitter account and couldn't read the comments but this seems like it would be a noteworthy issue if it were true, aka would have more Google results.

I'd tell them to frig the fuck off

what % of americunts actually change their own oil? 5% 3%?

If I had to guess I'd say the same percentage of amerifats change their own oil as those in any first world nation

I change my oil but honestly it only costs a little more getting it done at a shop. Like $15. A $15 convenience fee to not have to crawl under the car could be worth it.

the inconvenience of me getting on the ground is worth knowing it's not cocked up

the stories I've seen/heard of those quick lube places...

>A $15 convenience fee to not have to crawl under the car could be worth it.

if only they didn't spy on you and rat you out to the insurance company ;)

Given Americans are usually the quickest to react to anti American jokes and propaganda, I'd say your image lacks any credibility.

Just call up, demand they dont change shit or you will switch insurance companies

>Shitpost about Americans
>Get called on it
>Shitpost more about Americans
Are you just trying to prove his point?

A lot of places do it cheaper than I can, even if I use bottom dollar oil/filter. Lots of garages doing specials to get you in the door and on their books.

Have never had an issue with Midas. Though only went twice out of the 6 or so changes I've done.

>implying that was me
>implying I'm from either side of the Atlantic
That image wasn't "calling out" anyone or anything. It was simply implying something that's incorrect.
Given your prompt overly defensive response further disproves the image in question.

nice, you triggered the autistic tripfag

All these posts and yet nobody has yet pointed out how absolutely bullshit that piece of paper is.

No company in 2016 uses shit that looks like that. No letter head, no contact information, no modern font, no nothing.

/Thread

>going to those name brand auto insurance companies
i went to cost-u-less. those people make damn sure you get a low rate. i have "pleasure" driving policy and they put down that i got my license at 16 when i actually got it at 19. also i drove 44k miles in 1 year and 4 months. they dont care. they want to make sure you save money

This whole post and you didn't realize even one time that the paper was folded
Good job Ace Detecive

>no modern font

kill yourself

State farm uses that font. As a state farm customer that letter looks legit but with the identifying parts folded out. More importantly the milege came from an inspection most likely and if so its reported to the state.

Fuck off kike everyone everywhere cares about freedom

YET ANOTHER REASON TO NEVER TRUST CHAINS

I must be driving state farm crazy. There aren't any service records on my car for the last 8 years.

Have you ever done a VIN check? You dont think private insurance companies are benefiting from the same information?

The data is anonymized, but is still car specific.

>non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.

Your car will tell the insurance companies in the future. See this thread at

>I must be driving state farm crazy. There aren't any service records on my car for the last 8 years

Not even an auto inspection? My state requires emission testing every two years. So they record the mileage then.

My insurance policy has terms that require me to report to them if I have variances in expected driving history. So if I drive more than the expected 12K miles per year average, I am required to tell them per the policy that I signed.

I did have to get emission tested when I moved. But before that my state didn't inspect anything.

You went to fucking Jiffy Lube, didn't you?

Sounds like some shit they'd do.

>There aren't any service records on my car for the last 8 years.

They can get your mileage if you have Onstar and you signed a form without marking the checkbox and signing it denying info collection. You can also lose privacy if you go to the Onstar site and open up an account there. Or you accept to use the Onstar app in your phone to monitor the car and allow partners access to data. Remember that non-personally identifying data doesn't mean the data cannot be used to identify you. It just means that your own personal info is not sent, so your name, home address, email, driver license, phone number, email are not sent. But your VIN and license plate for the car can be sent. BUT hey, isn't the VIN and plate linked to a person (you)? Sure, but it in itself was not direct personal information. So your insurance company can find out thru those other means as more deregulation occurs in order to streamline business operations and save money for businesses and increase jobs and prosperity for all. Deregulation of these expensive privacy walls is still ongoing.

>So your insurance company can find out thru those other means as more deregulation occurs in order to streamline business operations and save money for businesses and increase jobs and prosperity for all. Deregulation of these expensive privacy walls is still ongoing.
ah, yes

>You went to fucking Jiffy Lube, didn't you?

Lots of shops sell data. Body shops update your data to various services. In return they get discounts on their database subscriptions or discounts with partners with those databases, so there is financial incentive.

If you buy tires, they record your mileage when you get new tires installed or each time you use their shop. Even when I get a flat tire patched, they write down my plate number, VIN, and odometer reading. State Farm can get it from there because many shops turn in statistics to the various database companies buying them or giving discounts to stores' database subscriptions in return for data.

Im putting tape over my odo next time i visit a shop

It's an 03 cavalier shit box so I don't have to worry about that.

well... there's a bulletproof solution :)

Plenty of auto shops send non-anonmyized data to bureaus like Carfax.

Hell, the MyCARFAX app lets you view the service and registration history for any vehicle you know the plate number and state of the plate number (or VIN) of. It's not complete because it's not an owner history, but seeing "Registration issued: 01/01/2015 SOMEPLACE, NEW YORK" and seeing "REGISTRATION ISSUED: 12/01/2015 SOMEWHERE ELSE, MA" is a hint that it may have changed hands. I never removed the 2002 Camry I sold November last year and I can see the service history still on it in this app.

Smaller shops generally don't report, or you can always change the oil yourself.

It lets you enter any license plate? How many times can you use that per day?

>It lets you enter any license plate? How many times can you use that per day?

An alternate method is to use the free version:
carfax.com/company/free-car-record-checks

KEK
'mericans

That's why I use a local mechanic shop. They don't bother with infometric shit. They fix what you tell them to fix.
They don't do extra work and bill you for it.
They don't upsell you onto other work.
They don't ignore growing problems.
The only databases they really keep is in the heads of the mechanics, and a list of repeat customers.
They even do small shit for free if they know you. Took my car there for new brakes, came back with a blown brake light bulb replaced with no note on the receipt or any mention.

Has any one pointed out yet that any time you get your vehicle serviced it is logged and easily accessible. Have you ever had a Carfax? It lists the milage each time it was serviced and where it was serviced.

Stop trying to cheat your insurance Company, and pay your damn premium

Why would you not service your shitbox yourself?

fell for the jiffylube oil change meme LOL.

If they're only listing the VIN with mileage, its arguable that they're not violating your privacy.

Its the same argument the NSA was able to make and get phone records.

This.

Even when I have to take the vehicle into a shop, its so few and far between that there's really no way of consistently tracking me.

>tfw last time my car was in a shop was 10 years ago when I had the stealership put it up on a lift so I could inspect it myself

>Stop trying to cheat your insurance Company
But it's a okay for them to cheat you.

You're lucky that you can mount and balance tires yourself. The tire shops also report your VIN, odometer, and other info to a database. The industry is well organized by now at trying to get information aggregated.

It's just like how the government has dentists report all your dental records to a central clearninghouse. After 9/11, even lawyers were required to report some things to the government about their clients without protection of the lawyer/client privilege. The same with doctors.

Data is getting combined and looked at in unexpected ways all the time. So your data has value against the day someone requests it and has to pay for it. For example, in divorce cases, the lawyers sometimes request shopping info about the husband. If he buys things that suggests having a woman on the side, that is used against him in court. For example, he buys condoms but the wife divorcing him says he never used condoms with her. Where the data costs money is when facial recognition search is used to determine what the person bought since they used cash instead of cards. My local police did that. Since cars are transportation, auto records have great value in determining time, place, duration as well as who your friends are simply by a pattern of co-mingled visits.

>report all your dental records to a central clearninghouse.

So they have your teeth impressions on file. Just don't bite the hookers before you kill them.

>sell non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.

Hah! Fooled them. I don't have insurance.

> Stop trying to cheat your insurance Company

don't make me slap that jew dick out of your mouth

how many times is your license plate scanned every day, every time you pass a cop car? are there stationary scanner cameras as well?

>are there stationary scanner cameras as well?
Yes. Our city uses high resolution computer-driven cameras. A pod typically has a videocam and a high-resolution large photo camera with powerful optical zoom. The computer automatically drives both. Our downtown area has a number of them to record surveillance footage and they are well hidden mostly.

Traffic lights at major intersections have both video and stationary photo cameras to watch traffic. Based on traffic flow, they even adjust traffic light duration automatically and send traffic flow info back to a central computer so that lights over a wide area can be synchronized to improve total traffic flow. Of course, lights can also change to impede someone trying to run. We also have cameras in a few school zones where the teachers complain about speeders.

The cameras take photos of front and rear plates of those who run red lights (yellow means come to a stop here). Those who speed in a school zone also get $249 tickets in the mail. They're public record, so insurance companies eat that up.

The cameras used to send license plate info to the computer to crosscheck for valid current tags but due to racism complaints that feature was deactivated. Computer vision is powerful and can do many things like make a database of faces too (we have that).

It's "old" tech now. Are you behind the times? Even some HOA use computerized camera systems. They are cheap and efficient. It's way to expensive to hire real people.

>how many times is your license plate scanned every day, every time you pass a cop car? are there stationary scanner cameras as well?

Toll roads scan. This is done all over the country. Nothing new. Moving on. Nothing wrong with the FBI or local police accessing records of which plates appeared at certain locations either.

yeah i mean that makes sense tho, they have to bill the people that are in the expresslane (Cali). Our city just installed cameras for all cars traveling in and out of the city, there was an issue with all dem poors traveling from other countys and breaking into homes. something like 80% of them were from outsiders (blacks and beaners)

What's interesting is that the locations some of our cameras watch are "calibrated locations". They must have moved GPS measurement devices to those spots and recorded the exact GPS locations. So when the camera spots something at a location at a certain time, the police can go to the computer and request a cellphone track, tesla track, satellite radio track, ford track, or Onstar track to see what device was at that GPS location at that specific time. Thus, the person or cars can be identified from that even if they are shapeless blobs.

>LAND OF MUH FREEDOM!
I FUCKING LOVE NOT BEING A DUMB MURRICAN!

If Ms Nooil is going to make an insurance claim when she burns up engine in her car, doesn't the insurance company have the right to know if she actually had the oil changed? Just sayin

fake.

No, I'm not going to bring my vehicle to a garage to do a 30 minute job I can do myself.

>Insurance company pays to have someone look this shit up to fuck you out of 10 bucks per month.

I agree. I do my own oil changes myself because I don't trust minimum wage paid monkeys to do that. But I won't make a insurance claim either if I run my car 30K miles without a oil change and seize the engine. There are plenty of people who would try.

>No, I'm not going to bring my vehicle to a garage to do a 30 minute job I can do myself.

Our area has at least two self-service garages that put your car up on a four-point lift. You can stand underneath if you want. Their oil change special rates are $15 at one shop and $20 at another shop for 30 minutes of bay time. The $20 bay has all the tools and oil disposal gear. The $15 bay has the the oil disposal gear.

Even at $15 for use of a 4-point lift for 30 minutes, that means a self-serve change costs:

$15
$6.90 filter
$24.95 5qt jug full synth oil

versus $59.97 for full service oil/filter change using the same full synthetic oil and filter at a shop. My neighbor still does his oil changes, but he dumps used oil into the sewer since he has a convenient sink in his huge detached garage. It's too much trouble and expense to have a special container and then cart the oil to some store to dispose of the oil.

You think a bunch of jews wouldn't have had a system to do it automatically?

Why hire a person?

>It's too much trouble and expense to have a special container and then cart the oil to some store to dispose of the oil.

Are you saying that sarcastically?

Cuase its not that much trouble lugging the used oil jug back down to the local Vatozone or local dump here.

>Looks like oil change companies sell non-anonymized mileage data to insurance companies.

I don't mind. It helps stop the dealer from trying to disqualify warranty coverage because their standard tactic is that the car wasn't properly maintained.

As for data in the hands of the corporations and government, I don't mind either. I've lived my life cleanly, so to my viewpoint (the same as my conservative parents who brought me up right), only the guilty need to feel fear. There are exceptions of course, but those are exceptions.

Exceptions occur everywhere for everything, and thus they don't matter all that much. So, only the guilty or those who want to break the law in the future have fear.

I've always done my own. Then I know it's actually getting done (there have been at least a few chains caught on cameras not even doing services), I know what condition it's coming out, when, what I've got in it, and that it's not getting fucked up and started dry because some stoner Fuck forgot to fill it or something else stupid and terrible.

I do absolutely everything I can to my cars myself.

>so to my viewpoint (the same as my conservative parents who brought me up right), only the guilty need to feel fear.
You and your parents need to leave my country.

Seriously, it's like 5$ for a big ass storage jug. Just bring that shit in next time you buy oil, they'll dump it while you grab your oil and filter off the shelf..

the only vehicle that i don't change the oil on myself (winter beater, subcompact shitbox, i get the oil done when i get the tires switched) i take to a local guy who salvages super cheap parts and doesn't charge tax so i think i'm safe

This shit just happened to me today. Told them 11k miles a year, now when i log in it says 13k and my premium went up $75. Got a geico quote and they didnt even ask expected mileage, they knew from the VIN record. God damned dealership.

>my premium went up $75. Got a geico quote and they didnt even ask expected mileage, they knew from the VIN record. God damned dealership.

Well, you should get an Onstar car then. Those report your stats including mileage, how many panic stops, if you have hard acceleration at places you shouldn't such as traffic lights, if you use turn signals for all turns, if you speed, if you speed through a school zone during school hours, etc.

All that spying by your car phoning home the info was described in more detail in the thread at

>This shit just happened to me today.

If you have one of the newer GM cars such as the Chevy Malibu, you can buy access to an option called "Teenage Driver" monitoring. You can thus loan your car out but set conditions into the car. The car uploads to GM and then your smartphone app displays a report card on how your child was driving. It reports on use of seatbelts, turn signals, if s/he drives "on the line" roadway markings a lot, if s/he weaves in the lane a lot (drunk driver? distracted driver?), speeding, and of course you get a full GPS display on map of where s/he drove and how much time was spent. Move your cursor over the path and you see stats. Nice. You can now tell how much time was spent at certain locations or if s/he went to the planned parenthood pregnancy clinic (worry!). You can set a max speed limit for the car. And of course, a max volume on the radio if passengers and driver don't wear seatbelts (it has a passenger seat sensor).

The problem with the above is that the car phones home that info. That also means that info is probably collected on all drivers including yourself the owner.

>have a special container and then cart the oil to some store to dispose of the oil.
Whats wrong with just using the empty new oil container you just bought?

It's not me that dumps oil into the drain. I go to a shop. It's that penny pinching neighbor. He's always going on about paying taxes and the other usual conservative things. When I told him not to dump it into the drain, he got very very angry with me. He started a tirade of how liberal commies use environmental laws to keep business down or reduce their ability to compete. On and on.

So, I gave up on that. He's a senior member of the homeowner association staff (committee head) so he can do a lot of harm to me if he sees me as some liberal commie for saying that dumping used oil down the drain is harmful to the environment.

I don't want the HOA to come after me interpreting everything I do as worthy of getting a lawyer letter. The speed limit is 5 MPH. It is 0.48 miles from the beginning of the frontage road (HOA controlled) to the first security point. Then after that more security. Then about 0.2 miles to my home. If they enforced the 5MPH on me or gave me a lawyer letter each day, that would be killer. It has survived lawyer assault in court as being unfair due to selective enforcement. So trying again to defeat it would be expensive and fail. The people who tried had to move out afterwards since nothing they could do was ever "right".

When you get a lawyer letter, you are responsible for the cost of the lawyer firm in writing up the letter. That is where the "fine" is since an HOA cannot legally issue true fines. Only a court can. But as those of you know, an HOA has many powers similar to a government and can do things a city or federal gov't cannot legally due as a result of the Constitution. That's because covenants allow homeowners to sign away some of their bill of rights.

So, trying to defend the environment gets me branded as a liberal communist. Fuck that. I don't want "fines". They have converted me into proper conservatism - oil in sewers is good. Environmentalism is bad.

>This shit just happened to me today. Told them 11k miles a year, now when i log in it says 13k and my premium went up $75. Got a geico quote and they didnt even ask expected mileage, they knew from the VIN record. God damned dealership.

If your mileage was only 2000 miles per year, would they do the same thing and lower your rate based upon your proven low mileage?

Call the EPA on his ass, idiot.

It's the rare company that gives customer service when it doesn't have to. Insurance companies are out to keep as much of your money as possible. To cash-flow companies, reducing charges to you is like increasing debt. On the sheets it is a negative expense item to reduce charges as an insurance condition.

Even when my mileage was lower I didn't see automatic reductions on my premium, I agree.

They may get it from the dealership but it can also come from other sources. States with annual safety/emissions inspections often require that the mileage be transmitted at the time of the inspection, that gets on the record no matter where you get your car inspected (dealership, big chain for car maintenance, or small garage) in New York State.

>Well, you should get an Onstar car then. Those report your stats including mileage, how many panic stops, if you have hard acceleration at places you shouldn't such as traffic lights, if you use turn signals for all turns, if you speed, if you speed through a school zone during school hours, etc.
I think they only do this if you opt in with State Farm. Either way, Progressive snapshot, onstar with state farm, etc. can all get fucked. I'm not installing an always on black box in my car (even without a constantly transmitting one tons of cars have event data recorders for accidents nowadays).

>I think they only do this if you opt in with State Farm
GM has a partnership with Progressive now, so add Progressive to your list. I was notified in email that if I sign up, Progressive would give me a discount (or higher rates) by using my Onstar to track my usage, maintenance, location, driving, speeding, and safety-oriented behaviors. Liberty and 2 other insurance companies besides state farm and progressive can also use data from Onstar now.

So it looks like more and more insurance companies are getting onboard with automated monitoring of the truthfulness and risk factors of their customers.