What is the buying process like when buying a used car from a private seller (craigslist)...

What is the buying process like when buying a used car from a private seller (craigslist)? What needs to be done to legally drive the car with no legal problem?

You give them money, they give you keys to car, title to the car, bill of sale and if required where you are, proof of smog. Make sure title does not have a lienholder listed and tags are up to date.

With all the above, you can drive away. You still need to insure the car, usually within a few days and register the car into your name with the dmv, again within a few days, how many depends on your state.

Enjoy your new car.

Thanks. What tags? Do I get new plates when registering the car in my name with the dmv?

Thanks. I'm thinking Nissan Altima 2006 for the nice interior, reliability, and mileage for affordable price.

You can get new plates if you want to when you're registering the car, but you don't have to. The tags are those little stickers on your rear plate that has the month and year on it. Make sure it is current. For example, it is now July. If the month sticker is in the future, say December, then the year sticker should still say 2016. However, if the month sticker is in the past, say February, then the year sticker should say 2017. DMV makes you pay in advance for the year coming up, which is why the year sticker works like this.

Thanks famalam.

Tags depend on state. Look at your states regulations if your concerned. Also id get a bill of sale reguardless of if you need one or not. Some states require you to have the transfer paper notarized.

What does Moot even drive?

jaguar e-type

is there a hidden joke in there or are you being legit

Moot is a cuck.

I bet he drives a Prius because his gf thinks V8s are scary.

post pics of his gf

Who is this?

when you're a seller and let the buyer go for a testdrive how do you know they'll bring the car back?

Forgot a question. How do I pay for it? I'm guessing they won't want a check but withdrawing thousands of dollars in cash will be annoying with daily atm withdrawal limits for my online checking account.

bump

-2/10

How the fuck do you not know who made the fucking website you're using?

Go with them

bump

Hiro is more important nowadays, so it's not surprising newfags don't know of moot.

The hacker known as Veeky Forums

Some states you keep your plates, so when someone sells you their car they may take the plates with them. You can still drive the car for a period before registering the car, you might get pulled over but as long as you have the title that is signed and dated you should be good