Tire plugs, do you use them?

Just wondering what Veeky Forumss opinion is on plugging tires?

I know a patch is obviously better, but I've heard stories of plugs outlasting some tires. Thoughts?

bump

Had one last a year. Then lost air.
Have one in currently because i was in the middle of the woods and had a rock puncture muh tire. Its only been in a week.

if you're broke they're fine. i prefer them on the back in case they explode. otherwise just patch it, maybe you have a warranty on your tires you forgot about?

Nah I already called the dealership. I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty, but it doesn't cover punctured tires.

I've had a plug last the life of a tire but I don't think that's the norm.

Plugs are temporary. Best practice is to have it patched from the inside by a shop.

Can a plug outlast a tire? Sure. You need a very clean hole and higher quality plugs with proper gumbo and vulcanizing fluid to get a perfect seal that will last. If your going to go that far though, it would be better to just go to a shop.

Plugs are fine as long as you have the proper goop for them, if not they're shit.

Absolute best is a plug+patch.

worked at a dealer.

unless the customer specifically required an inside tire repair, we'd use a worm plug and call it a day.

remove whatever caused the puncture, ream out the hole good, apply rubber cement to the repair, stab that shit in there good, cut off excess and set it on fire.

let it burn for ~30 seconds or so, just don't singe the tire. spray with soapy water and see if its leaking.

worked at a dealer for ~7 years. Only seen 1 leak, oddly enough it was a tire repair I did. as an apprentice, but still was one I did. 95%+ of them will outlast the tire.

Just go to walmart and get it patched, it's only $10 and they use the plug/patch combo type that's much better.

No bumper the bumper warranty covers tires. It's a wear item dealerships don't cover wear items

I don't know what Mexican dealership you worked at but I have worked at Honda and Subaru currently and we use the plug patch combo from the inside of the tire. Fucking setting it on fire what a joke.

>let it burn for ~30 seconds

Jesus christ no. You burn all the stuff off that you need for vulcanization to work.

They are not a permanent fix I keep telling customers that. You can put it on your tire but your going to lose air I highly suggest you get a new tire not ASAP but soon

Used a plug on two of my vehicles. Both are still good, no leaks. Proper installation is a factor in the longevity of the plug.

>set it on fire
You stupid fuck

I think you are better off buying a new tyre, a plug is just for getting you to the tyre store.

>buy a new pair of tires just because one doesnt hold air.

What if Im not a cuck?

>t. tire salesman

ive fixed probably 1500-2000 tires at work over the last 6 years, i use plugs all the time no problem and it outlives the tire

if the damage is larger like a shard of glass or a cut in the tire i use a plug/patch combo

>customers
>highly suggest getting a new tire

Yeah, I bet you do!

>currently living in the truck all across canada
>selftap got in my tire
plug that shit
>done more than 5000km since

honestly I think it will outlast the tire, would never have a car without that kit under my seat (plus sometime you can come across M or MS iknowjackshit about car with a flat tire, you fix it on the spot ans they basicly pay back the whole kit while thanking you)

Try to be nice user, but not with the tire sellers, these guys only want your money