Want to get into dirt biking

>want to get into dirt biking
>never ridden a motorcycle
>neighbor's willing to trade me his 250cc kawasaki for some break work on his nissan
>runs fine
>good condtion from what I can tell

How the fuck do I get into dirt biking other than just fuck around in the boonies for a few days and watch youtube?

I'd ask my neighbor to help out but he's flying out next month and none of my friends dirt bike.

pic related isn't the exact bike, but it is a 2010 KX250F and looks identicle.

Any advice is welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tVT7zDDZtZw&list=PLlur54ugvzNKGIuFDwITlXrSENMeqikEQ&index=4
gokartsusa.com/Monster_Dog_Minibike-1.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get some gear so you don't break your bones

Looking at pads, boots, gloves, and helmets right now aside from other general research.

Bumping for interest.

I also want to start. Nothing serious, just trail riding and such. I'd like something that's legal on road but also performs well off road. Sort of like pic related, Kawasaki KLR 650

2 stroke vs 4 stroke opinions? Advantages?

2 stroke is shit

Why? More maintenance? More engine wear?

RIP Thread

What the fuck are you doing to my thread.

You don't just bump with pictures until you get an answer.

Veeky Forums isn't like other boards where post frequency is higher.

Just fucking wait for a post and stop bumping it if there's nothing to bump for fucks sake.

if gear's too expensive you can try secondhand stores like goodwill for basic stuff like pads, but don't cheap out on a helmet, buy it new if you can

>2016
>not filtering tripfags

You're not my dad cunt

4 stroke. It's a pain in the arse to mix fuel.

>rage faces
>tripfag

well that explains that

This is true. Heard the chew through the oil too.

You've obviously got something lodged up your ass. Dirt bike riding probably isn't for you...

Thanks for the positive input trip fag. Really appreciate the constructive discussion in this thread.

Go back to your containment thread generals newfag

Fuck off this is my thread now.
I found a bike just for you.

250 dirtbikes are good for starters

get it compresion tested, rebuilding it isn't hard or expensive in case its needed anyway

>How the fuck do I get into dirt biking other than just fuck around in the boonies for a few days and watch youtube?
just ride and don't kill yourself

2 strokes aren't even legal to register for the road, so if you want a dualsport get a 4 stroke

>2 strokes aren't even legal to register for the road
That's wrong.

well in my shithole they aren't, and in several US states, from which I assume that tripfag might be, aren't aswell

youtube.com/watch?v=tVT7zDDZtZw&list=PLlur54ugvzNKGIuFDwITlXrSENMeqikEQ&index=4

Watch this guys videos. Your skills will advance 10x faster than if you just try to learn on your own.

>2012+4
>Not liking two strokes

There's no other way to get into it. Go ride the fuck outta that thing. Eat some shit and get back on. No book or video will ever give you experience over real life riding
2 smoke has more HP and thumpers are more efficient running motors

>2 strokes aren't even legal to register for the road, so if you want a dualsport get a 4 stroke

You were saying?

In Ohio it's easy as fuck, but if you live in a shit tier state, you can register your bike in South Dakota via the mail. There's a thread on Thumper talk about it.

2 strokes:

>Lighter, simpler, and more powerful motors
>Cheaper to buy and maintain
>cheap motor rebuilds (~$400 will get you a new crank, rod, piston, and gaskets)
>They sound heavenly
>You have to mix gas
>Their exhaust smells like freedom
>Less fuel efficient
>Their power delivery is kind of abrupt and peaky, but it feels amazing when you get into the power band

4 strokes:

>Heavier
>more complicated
>Much more expensive rebuilds (~$1000 for a top end)
>Better fuel efficiency
>Smoother more controllable power
>Needs a displacement advantage to compete with a two stroke

get some pads and shit and go on trails. Is it street legal? if not learn basics of riding on a dirt road until you're comfortable then go on dirt bike trails

is getting TRIGGERED this easily a meme or do some of you fucks legitimately become upset if someone simply doesnt like something?

I have been on Veeky Forums specifically since 2008 and it has just been killing me

tfw broke my arm in a dirt bike crash a couple months ago. Thanks whoever opened the track with giant mud puddles everywhere

mixing oil, loud, smells bad, loud, needs rebuilding a lot

>sumo in the forest
hows that possible

>tfw no perfectly good 2010 kx250f for 2 hours of work and $300 in parts (if that, assuming just pads and rotors)

op doesnt realize how lucky he is

just ride it, you'll enjoy it man. even get another hobby out of it.

Gloves and a helmet is all you really need, I've ridden with a jersy and jeans for years unless youre going pro or freestyle youre fine, MAYBE a chest protector.

gokartsusa.com/Monster_Dog_Minibike-1.aspx

Is this even worth it?

>gokartsusa.com/Monster_Dog_Minibike-1.aspx
no. you can get a coleman ct200 for $500 if you want to take that route