Hey Veeky Forums

hey Veeky Forums,

so, I just got done with picking up a 74 Mopar 440 with attached transmission and I have a problem.

beyond the fact that I know it's a 74 440 that came out of a motorhome, I am completely clueless about it. I don't even know what transmission it has attached to it. I know it's the original trans, just don't know what it is. I'm guessing it's a 727? I know LSX and SBF engines and the occasional SBC. I have zero knowledge or experience with Mopar.

does anyone know where I can get some info on this thing? H.P. ratings, what CFM rating of carb it has, what kind of transmission typically came with motorhome 440's, are the lifters solid flat tappet, etc?

I took it in as payment for some work I did.

>it is 99% going to be a 727
>you probably are making like 190hp
>depends on the carb, post the engine
>it's hydraulic roller cam probably

Take it to the dyno and get the hP numbers

it looks like the factory carter thermo-whatchamacallit. I don't have a pic of the carb as it's currently sitting at my shop. they seriously had hydraulic roller factory cams in 74?

yeah hydraulic roller cams have been around for a long time. and solid lifters are fucked for street use, and really just for high hp and high rev performance engines.

I think you mean hydraulic flat tappet.

this, right

well fuck me running then. again, I'm a SBF guy for older engines and my 84 302 H.O. doesn't even have a hydraulic roller cam. damn ford, wtf.

so what kind of good cheapish cam would be ideal for hot rodding around town?

Get the 340, it fits the Dart a lot better. It's much lighter and balanced for can turn moments and also can almost make just as much power.

I'm looking for a decent cam. I already have a 440.

>thermoquad
RIP in pieces HP

well, i guess it's a good thing I have a bunch of Holley's and a Carter AFB laying around.

Stop your boobs

Pretty sure that's a 727 attached to it. A bretty durable unit.

bump

Motorhomes usually have 727 Loadflites. Which are basically regular 727's but USUALLY have short tail shafts with an integral drum brake on the back for a parking brake. Also the governor is set to shift at low rpm. For a car you'd have to find a normal long tail housing and output shaft.

Hopefully you have regular 440 and not the industrial type 440-3. Which has oddball heads, exhaust manifolds and a water pump that won't really fit a car. If you have a normal 440, be aware that at a minimum you'll have to change the oil pan to a center sump style.

Compression will be about 8.0 for a 74. If you use the right cam it's not the end of the world, or you can of course swap pistons/shave heads as budget allows.

kek. Sounds like trash to me. OP, cut your losses and buy a junkyard LS. Probably cheaper desu.

Bump

This can easily be fixed. In some cases it'd probably more expensive with an LS depending on the build. A 440 already has a displacement advantage

If its a 74, hp is going to be low on it. Maybe 200- 230, but that's a wag on my part. If it's not an oddball 440 it's very salvageable though, as they tended to restrict the intake side to keep emissions in check. The 440 is a great engine. Ditch the carter carb and go with an AFB. You'll want to get a decent dual plane intake manifold too. Mild port on the heads and a Racer Brown cam should wake it up. When you call RB for the cam, let them know what the engine is out of. They know a lot about Mopar engines and should be able to get you the right cam assuming you're keeping the bottom end stock.

>Motorhome 440 + 747
Be prepared to spend thousands trying to make it half decent. Probably makes 150hp @ 4,000rpm right now, almost certainly while the transmission slips its ass off.

It's a short tailshaft without a drum brake. And when I looked it said 440-8 on it.

I actually have a AFB that was on my mustang. 625cfm though. But I also have three other 4160's so I had thought of doing a dual carb setup.

I did see a Summit brand cam that was cheap. Was kinda thinking of giving that a go.

It's hydraulic lifters, not rollers.

yes as others have said likely to be a 727. the 904 is a more of a race gearbox and used for high horsepower applications.
mopar guys are "parts number people" get all the parts numbers you can find and start googling. at least you will get the basic information you are seeking. most motor homes were never fitted with performance parts as a motorhome is to get you to the race, rather than be in the race.

The 904 is not a "race box". It was used behind slant sixes and 318s. Since it was built for the lower powered engines, it's geared lower than a 727. You can beef one up for strip use, but that is not its intended use.