Power stroke vs duramax

I have the opportunity of buying 2 trucks at the same price and im happy with the price for both. They are a lifted 2008 ford f250 powerstroke no work other than lift and tires. And a 2008 gmc sierra nicely equiped but not much above the ford. I like both equally. Both have about 220km on it. I would only lean towards the ford because in its current setup it looks better. My question to yall is which is more reliable/better for maintenance costs and what i should expect to spend yearly on maintenance. I have a reno business but i tend to find myself more than id like to with my dodge ram 1500 which im not satisfied with in terms of reliability. Pic not related

Towing more than id like to *

> duramax
> ever

Had a coworker who owned a duramax, I shit you not that truck was in the shop 24/7. The only time it wasn't in the shop was when he barely needed to drive it, other than that he drove 1998 k1500 and treated it like his fucking baby.

Powerstroke however, that thing better be 7.3 or run.

There's nothing really wrong with the 6.0 and especially not the 6.4.

Fuck GM, though, I don't know why but their cars fall apart at such an accelerated rate.

Because GM is shit. Shit rust protection, shit design, shit interiors, shit at just about everything except econobox engines.

>anti-GM samefag
GM's trucks are what they did right.

Super Duty and GMT800HD are both great platforms. The Duramax and 7.3 are both great engines.

I'd avoid the 6.0. It's alright after it's bulletproofed, but why start with an engine that NEEDs bulletproofing in order to be statistically reliable?

>inb4 uncle granddaddy's 6.0 ferd is still going at 800k miles with no repairs or maintenance
That's anecdotal. Statistically, the 6.0 is generally unreliable.

Buy an old Toyota truck and it will last you until someone buys both of those trucks and wears them out and they die and their children die.

Yep gonna pull my 24ft camper and my 12ft dump trailers with a 98 tacoma

The ferd is a 6.4L im a maintenance freak so even with a 6L i could manage.

Gas or diesel?
The 2008-2010 Ford 6.4 diesel is a ticking time bomb of repairs

No. Maintenance has nothing to do with the design flaws Ford forced on International. They're time bombs. The gas engines from Ford are great though.

>Rules for diesel F-250s
2011+ or run away

>Inb4 Muh 7.3L, fuck off, they're shit compared to anything made in the last decade and I've had about 30 in the fleet. Worst than the 1st gen Cummins nutriding cancer desu.

Unlike you I actually own a GM pickup truck.

It's falling apart with 60,000 miles on it (I only drive it when there's stuff to haul or tow). It's insane.

My dad had a 6.4 and had good luck with it. Had it chipped for the last 100km of its lifetime and no issues besides a few normal wear and tear parts (front and rear breaks, front end work). He did have to put some kind of turbo sensor on it, which was a couple hundred bucks but that was about it

He has a 2012 6.7 now (stay away from the 2011's some of them are lemons), and other than the fuckin urea system shitting the bed, the truck has been nothing short of amazing. 180km

I just bought an 07 Duramax (LBZ) but havent driven it long enough to give you a fair opinion (2500km)

I've heard from several people that the 08 (LMM) duramax was the best truck Chevy ever made AFTER it is deleted. Make sure you get the front end looked over because IFS.

>pic is the old mans 6.4

As long as the powerstroke isn't a 6.0 obviously that. If it is, make sure to god its been gone through and bullet proofed.

If not then get the gmc. This is coming from someone who dislikes the current gen gm's

Are you the guy that used to post about his 1100rwtq 6.4 that was only deleted and tuned

>pic directly related

haha no it was not
My dads truck was the fastest truck i've ever drove (in reality it was a slow as fuck) because it was easy to get around 550hp+ with a intake and big tune

And i try not to go around braggin about a truck that isnt mine lol

>what i drove for the last 4 years before my Duramax

>PRO TIP: DIESEL IS A MEME
Just buy any LS based gas truck and have better mileage, cheaper fuel, and less maintenance.

They're nothing but peacock displays now outside of the service trucks that are hauling cranes/welders and 10k pounds of tools.

t. Cumminsfag

Stop ruining your cars, especially the lights.

>There's nothing really wrong with the 6.0 and especially not the 6.4.

Can't tell if you're serious. 05-07 6.0 were "ok" I guess, but the early 6.0s were undeniably terrible. Also most Powerstroke guys YouTube advise to stay away from the 6.4 as well. They have their own set of issues and parts on the 6.4 are as expensive as they would be on a 6.7 and sometimes more because the 6.4 is an International/Ford motor.
OP I'd stay away from the 6.4 by all means.

Yea, we were all cool 16 year olds at one time. I thought it looked cool, but was glad to move on this spring.

>new truck

Much better, senpai.

Without question get the Duramax. A 220,000 km 6.4L, especially a 2008 that is stock, is a ticking time bomb. There's a reason those 6.4Ls can be found for so cheap. DPF has probably already cooked the engine and turbos. Lifters probably shot if the previous owner missed any oil change markers as they love to make oil. Even Powerstrokehelp calls them a 150k mile (240,000 km) throwaway engine. Couldn't tell you how many blown up 6.4L's I've seen for sale. And when they blow, they take practically everything along with it. New longblock installed is generally around $12,000+. Turbos are liable to go if DPF is still on and those are a couple grand EASY to replace. Injection pumps are super finicky and they cost thousands to replace as well and it just takes a bit of dirty diesel to wreck it.The only time I would consider buying a 6.4L would be a low low mileage 09/10 grandpa owned truck with every single maintenance record since its inception.

I'm not even trying to be a GM shill, but stock for stock the Duramax with the 6 speed Allison is about as bone dead reliable as you'll get for a modern diesel. Buy it, get a DPF delete, trans safe EFI Live tuning, and enjoy yourself a really smooth driving, reliable and fuel efficient truck with the power to pull down a house. There's a guy with a thread at dieselplace (I can send a link to the thread) who has a 2010 Duramax that he uses to hotshot campers, and he has 700,000 miles on the original engine, transmission, fuel injectors, injection pump, all besides wear parts. You won't ever see a 6.4L make it anywhere close to that.

P.S. all the morons here hating on GM are retarded. Yeah, GM has made A LOT of garbo vehicles, but from around 2006+ they have made leaps and bounds the best HD diesel pick up on the market (inb4 hurr durr IFS a shit on a truck made to generally haul heavy loads on paved roads). Don't take my word for it though OP, do your own research.

pic somewhat related

Left to right: ~220k miles, ~340k miles, ~185k miles

>Just buy any LS based gas truck and have better mileage, cheaper fuel, and less maintenance.
Duramax is going to get better mileage than a 5.3 gasser and a lot better mileage than the 6.0 gasser in the 2500/3500. And around here diesel is cheaper than gas again.

From what ive read on forums from you guys and from a guy i do some work for occasionally who has an 10 duramax with the allison EFI live tuner egr delete and a 5inch straight pipe with merp tip (he lets me boot it around to pick stuff up) i decided to go for a duramax. I might not get the one thats up for sale now but ill keep looking and hopefully i find a really well maintained one for a good deal. By the way whats the best version of duramax that chev made?

A lot of people like the LBZ the most just because it had the major issues from the LB7 and LLY fixed, had 100 more hp than the lly, had none of the major emmision controls (DPF and urea) and the aftermarket for them is huge.

I would say you're safe if you buy anything 06 and up

This guy gets it I fell for the diesel meme and don't even know how much money I dumped into the Cummins I had. The only good thing was the motor in that. truck. Fucking everything broke on it and I traded it in after a year of owning in it was a 2006 with 43k when I got it tranny went tranny lines went tranny then cracked the housing brakes new tires there was a bunch of other stupid shit I forgot but traded it in and nEver looked back

>buying one of those horrid behemoths
Holy shit kill yourself. Just buy a tacoma, it's more than enough truck for what 99% of truck owners actually use them for, and you'll spend less on it and get better fuel economy.

What does you destroying your transmission, lines, brakes and tyres have to do with the pros and cons of a diesel engine?

>all this GM hate ITT

My fathers LLY Duramax has NEVER had an issue in the 10 years we have owned it. Interior is worn to shit but we abused it for towing and other shit. Maintenance wise, not a single problem.

Love the thing.

Guys, I am looking for my first real truck. I feel like diesels are worth the extra money, but do I really need a diesel for a family truck? Would I be better off with a v8 4x4 instead?

I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot by not going with a diesel ford or chevy. My price range is 20000k-27000k

Fuck off buddy, a Shitcoma can't haul jack SHIT and only has a 4 foot bed. It's basically a useless baby toy compared to a real truck

Inb4 wah wah reliability

Hi GM shill. You can't fool us. GM is the worst auto company in the US.

>Can't haul

Even my 4 door sedan is rated to tow 2000 pounds. You're probably a faggot if you believe that.

Duramax is fucking dogshit.

I've owned 7
powerstrokes. Never had single issue with one. Go with 7.3 if possible

Lol butthurt

>no ecoboost
>polluting our planet
Trash. Die, heathen.

>buying a double cab/crew cab/king cab/whatever
Please jump off a bridge. You're just like harley faggots that tell other bike owners to get a "real bike" when theirs is the shit one.

The shortest bed on a taco is 5ft and the longer one is 6ft. Just about every asshole that buys a ferd pickup gets a useless 5.5ft bed with a crew cab, then never even uses the bed. Why don't they just buy a sedan with a v8 or ecoboost or some shit if it's just going to be a family hauler?

>not FCA

Gonna disagree with you my I had my LLY for two years. The allison cracked and engine started going out right before 200k

What's the opinion on dodge diesel Cummins trucks?

Well, ours is near 250K and no problems, so idk. Guess we are lucky.

Even the overheating issues of the LLY never plagued us and we live in Vegas.

Op here i had a 4runner once which is basically a tacoma and it couldnt haul squat. Sure a couple quads or a small boat but not a 12ft dump trailer with a bobcat and a yard of dirt in it.

Just never looked into them idk not a dodge guy

Finanance or cash? If youre going to finance buy a newer v8 with 4 doors because if youre not hauling you dont need diesel.

>i had a 4runner once which is basically a tacoma
No.

>owned 7 powerstrokes
>never owned a duramax
>"duramax a shit"

Wew lad. I smell fanboy bias

Get a ranger instead. Cheaper and for what you'll be using it for it's more than enough. Try to get a 4.0L though.

if no issues why 7 different ones

get a Tundra instead.

>The only good thing was the motor in that
So in other words, the DIESEL engine was the best part?

>2000 pounds
>Implying that's impressive
You've never towed anything in your life. A good trailer will take away half that capacity.

The Engine? GOD TIER
the rest of it? Meh... Transmission problems.

Own an 05 LLY. 160k. Bone stock. Great truck. Was a work truck before I bought it. Has great power and the mileage is great.