Check engine light came on in my 06 Subaru impreza and I find this under the hood. What is it and how do i fix it?

Check engine light came on in my 06 Subaru impreza and I find this under the hood. What is it and how do i fix it?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.smogtips.com/remote_sensing.cfm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Half shaft boot torn open would would not throw a CEL. The CEL is an unrelated problem. The boot could be replaced itself but is more economical to just replace the whole halfshaft.

The boot is generally cheaper to replace but its a fucking mess to do.

As this dude said the CEL would not be caused by a torn CV boot, you need a code reader to figure out where to look.

Nice job retard

It's pretty common retard.

Took it to AutoZone yesterday and the code reader said it was the 02 sensor or the catalytic converter

Take it to a shop. A shop can tell you for certain which it is. Autozone will be more than happy to let you guess and throw parts at it. They won't care if it the parts they sell you fixes the problem or not.

If it's o2 sensor it doesn't matter much desu. Cat converter might be an issue long term however

Perfect you can do both at once. My O2 went out on my 03 forester. It was a bitch to get off. If it's the upstream O2 don't waste your time trying to get it off through the engine bay. Just drop the exhaust it takes 10 min max. Then you can have all the room you want to get a wrench on it.

If you live in a non emissions state:

Have a muffler shop one straight pipe the bitch to the muffler and cut the cats out, and have a shop tune the car so it doesn't read for emissions

Alright. Thank you for the help guys

Stop driving to rationalize your inadequacies,

It's not caused by being rough on the car. I'm not hard on my forester because it's a forester and it's doing the same thing. Subarus blow head gaskets and CV boots. It's what they do.

No one is going to do that unless they want to have the EPA and DOT shit on them.

Stop disabling emissions equipment, you backwoods retards.

Actually a lot of places in non emssions states do. Had mine done a month or two ago.

>Actually a lot of places in non emssions states do
They're risking a lawsuit, then, but backwoods idiots wouldn't know that.

Like I said, backwoods retards need not apply to car ownership.

Yeah well this guy is doing pretty well I'd say then.

It should be mentioned that the Euro version of my car had no cats, and secondary O2 sensors

>It should be mentioned that the Euro version of my car had no cats, and secondary O2 sensors
So what?

Well if you get butthurt over me cutting my cats out, then you should be butt blasted about the Euro models running around with virtually no emissions controls.

>But muh EPA tho.

Just to keep in mind a hack job like that would hurt resale. Most people competent enough to check the car over would likely walk away from butchering like that.

Yea, ok, sure. What's your excuse, though? Why are you disabling federally required emissions equipment? Stupid? Poor? Both?

>Paying $100+ to replace a part that actually hurts performance and fuel economy
He's not doing it because he's not a cuck. If you can't breathe move out of your urban shithole. We're not the ones fucking it up, I assure you.

You are the only retard in this thread. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. You have added nothing of substance. Just hurr durr you are all retarded. Bypassing emissions systems is generally more trouble than it's worth but people do it all the time. All kinds of shops in non emissions states do it they just don't advertise that they do. The epa isn't trying to bust some tiny shop. They are too busy dumping toxic mining chemicals into rivers.

Not him but i did it for power increase

Get out of the 80's. Cats don't restrict cars nearly like they used to. The difference might show on a dyno but not in real life experience. And when all the engine management is centered around Emission equipment deleting just causes more problems than its worth.

>Paying $100+ to replace a part that actually hurts performance and fuel economy
>He's not doing it because he's not a cuck. If you can't breathe move out of your urban shithole. We're not the ones fucking it up, I assure you.
So you chose the stupid option, got it.

>The difference might show on a dyno but not in real life experience

You talking to me?

Why would I be concerned with resale? I'm not some 2 year lease faggot that intends to trade it in for a newer car. My shits paid for.

My excuse? I'd rather not pay half the value of the car getting new cats, that will stifle any power gains I make when I have the car tuned and supercharged.

The car is an 03 540i, and as previously stated the euro models came W/O cats. So I highly doubt the ecu is centered around the shit.

>My excuse? I'd rather not pay half the value of the car getting new cats, that will stifle any power gains I make when I have the car tuned and supercharged.
Sell the car then, you poor redneck piece of shit.

Really is maybe 5 horse going to be noticeable in a car, even 10 ? Real world not sitting in a lab or in a wind tunnel.

Ok fair enough. Its your car have fun with it then

Lmao Nigger that's your front axle. You need to replace that boot asap

Hmm be debt slave for all of my life and sell a perfectly functioning car.

Or save money and keep it, possibly putting it back in said car to make it faster than your shitbox that you paid 4 times as much for?

so did you check the engine? go get a ODB reader. I was working on a 2003 Accord, it was giving lean reading, changed the front o2 and it solved the issue. Try to isolate what it is, dont make it a parts party.

Jesus you are such an entitled piece of shit.

That irony tho

Entitled for what?

Becuase I value ownership and saving money over being chained to debt, becuase I'm not a deluded fuck who thinks he has to have a new car?

Or is it becuase I value individuality and don't give a shit what others think, and choose not follow poorly planned out and executed laws?

AM I BEING DETAINED

No one said you had to buy a new car you fucking retard. They said don't disable emissions equipment on the one you have.

You are the exact reason those laws need to exist. Please kill yourself.

Why are you so offended that people are decatting their cars?

He doesn't want to be wrong. He thinks the EPA and DOT are knocking down people's doors for doing it.

No one is offended, but ya'll some selfish and myopic cunts and make the laws necessary.

You sound very offended.
How does removing a cat make laws requiring them necessary?

because if you didn't remove them, it wouldn't be a problem. are you this stupid in real life?

>If it's o2 sensor it doesn't matter much desu
Who cares about loss of power and lower mpg?

California has mobile test vans that they park on freeway on ramps.
It tests emissions with infrared as you drive past and takes a pic of your license plate.
Test dirty and you get a notice in the mail that you have to be inspected or your registration will be revoked.
And you can't go to your buddy that you payed $150 under the table to pass you, you have to go to a specific test station.

Why do you go and tell lies

We aren't fucking talking about California. We are talking about non emission states. No shit you shouldn't disable your emission system in states that test regularly.

m.smogtips.com/remote_sensing.cfm

Half truths are still lies

>No shit you shouldn't disable your emission system in states that test regularly.
Or any states, since it's federal law and retarded to do so.

I hope you haven't broken the speed limit.

I know I don't.

My metro has been missing the after-cat O2 sensor since I've bought it (30,000 miles ago). Still get 40mpg and I don't give a shit.

>I hope you haven't broken the speed limit.
Because that's a comparable thing. I don't even care about legality, there's no reason to pollute more than you have to.

Catalytic converters actually produced more CO2 than just having nothing would.

...because the alternative is CO which will kill you with no warning. CO2 isn't nearly as much of a problem as CO and NOx.

Solution: Don't run it in the garage with the door closed.

Great solution. What's the fix for NOx? HCs?

CO2 is a stronger greenhouse gas than CO because of it's molecular structure. Climate change or air quality pick one.

Air quality.

Don't run it in the garage with the door closed.

>I don't even care about legality, there's no reason to pollute more than you have to.

i dont care about polluting, so we're even right? unless more people are killed from pollution rather than speeding drivers we'd be in the wrong, but i think the evidence stands that speeding is a far worse crime.

Bravo. Check out this master of engineering and science.

But what about the polar bears?

Something similar happened to my friend, don't risk driving it any longer, if you do you'll probably 100% bork the engine.

Oh, im sure your car is perfect in every way.

IIRC a dying cat should smell like rotten eggs, or something else very unpleasant
This diagnosis could be triggered by a shot downstream O2 sensor (after the cat) so try to replace that. It should cost an insane amount of money.

Depends on how heavy the car is.