Tell me about SVT Focuses. I see them listed on CL for far above bluebook value, like higher than GTIs and similar cars

Tell me about SVT Focuses. I see them listed on CL for far above bluebook value, like higher than GTIs and similar cars.

Are they worth money or are the sellers retards? Are they good cars?

>Are they worth money or are the sellers retards?
I'm going to guess it's the latter. They're nice cars to drive, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day it's just a Focus.

That's absurd logic

>Are they worth money or are the sellers retards?

a little of column A, a little of column B

I don't see anyway that it would be more expensive than a gti. KBB is wildly inaccurate, especially for cars like these because there isn't much data. It's a early 2000's hot hatch. It's poor build quality and is outperformed by almost anything new these days.

What's so absurd about it? If you want a hot focus, then sure, go right ahead. I wouldn't pay more for a Ford than a VW any day of the week.

So what're they really worth? Like I see GTIs listed at $3600 that bluebook at $3600, but SVTs listed at $3800 that bluebook at $2500.

Or is it like Miatas where my NA bluebooks at $2000 but I could easily get $3500 for it?

Except the svt beat the civic si and gti of the ear and was cheaper and more reliable...

Are these basically Focus ST170s? As in the 2.0 170 bhp unit we get in the UK?

Good cars, but not that quick compared to the competition. Very cheap now and I would happily have one. Main issues are rust and the IMRC.

>I wouldn't pay more for a Ford than a VW and day of the week

And that's why you'll always be poor

Pretty much. We got slightly stiffer shocks/springs and no factory Recaros/BBSs (was optional)

Good cars, though the SVT specific parts are getting rare.

the gear boxes are ass on focuses of the early 2000s

Bullshit, MTX-75 in the ZX3 is still used and the SVT has the same Getrag 6spd as the Mini Cooper S. The autos do kinda suck though.

they are worth what people are willing to pay

How do these things handle? I'm going from a Miata but I need a little more space. Anything else I should consider?

I think my brother is buying one

I think it's because I got the ep3 and he doesn't want to copy me since I'm the younger brother

I think you should buy the ep3 instead

They handle extremely well for a FWD hatch

Fiesta ST

My budget's about $4-5K. Been looking at:

Mustang
F-body
GTI
Cobalt SS
Civic Si
RSX
Volvo C70 for some reason

The Civic and RSX markets just seem bullshit, like either horribly overpriced or fully riced into the dirt.

Bump

Trash.

They don't have ecoboost

>SVT Focuses
Higher spec versions of the typical gen 1 Focus.
>Worth money?
9/10 condition with 150k miles I'd drop maybe $5k tops at a dealer and $3000 private party.
>Sellers retards?
Stupid question.
>Are they good cars?
Beefier Focus, all the pros, a few of the cons. Tight turning radius, very zippy for an early 2000s hatch, and very cheap. Cons include SVT parts being uncommon compared to normal parts, but repairs are still cheap and if you're inventive, you can occasionally fit non SVT pieces on. I don't recommend it, but it can be done.

I assume someone is selling one used near you. Lowball at 2500 if it's clean, try and aim for 3000.

If its messy, drop further and adjust final price accordingly.

Things to look out for: Engine mounts, PCV valve/hose collapsing, idle air control valve/ throttle position sensor sticking, and valve cover gasket.

To summarize, they're a nice cheap econobox that fools you into thinking you're going fast. Parts are generally cheap and plentiful and not difficult to wrench on yourself, or if you're lazy, shops can do it still for very cheap. Cabin noise is a bit high but you can do some dynamat stuff to cancel that out. All in all I'd recommend for 2-3k.

The SVT Focus has incredible handling dynamics. No FWD car from the era (in America) can come close. That said, they do have their fair share of issues, and many have been abused

I've wanted an SVTF for years and would have no problem paying between $5-10k for one in mint condition. Unfortunately those don't really exist anymore

You're in the right neighborhood, and it looks like you're trying to get the most fun for your buck so I'll actually try to help out.

Mustangs and foxbodys can be nice, but expect to shell out a lot more for repairs and maint if you're finding ones in the 4k-5k range

GTI is a solid choice in terms of parts availability, but the parts can be extremely pricey.

Cobalt SS is stupid amounts of fun and one of the fastest on your list (iirc about 270hp) but will absolutely suffer from destruction from the previous owner in that price range. There are only two types of Cobalt SS anymore: Overpriced ones that have been absolutely beat to shit and poorly maintained, or extremely overpriced ones that have meticulous maintenance records and an extra 0 on the price tag.

Civic Si, very overproduced car with lots of availability. Has ok tune potential, extremely easy to find and cheap parts, and is still pretty fun. Lowest 5 year cost to own on your list, probably the best reliability aside from the Volvo. Depending on your local market, may be difficult to find one in your price range.

RSX fun but has immediate rice tax, parts are still widely available, but many previous owners have trashed them in the price range you're looking at.

Volvo C70, only worth it in upper tier T5+ packages, the i5 sounds pretty nice with an exhaust package, but parts and any tuning/performance parts will cost you more than you ever thought possible.

Keeping in line with the OP though, the Focus SVT is a very nice fun car if you can find a clean one. Understand that these were purchased by a lot of hooning boyracers and finding a clean one that hasn't been trashed is rather rare. The parts for the SVT stuff used to be plentiful, but now stock is slowly drying up and the vehicle isn't anywhere near popular enough to have people manufacturing new bits and pieces.

Best of luck.

Your a fag for necroing this thread

I almost bought an '07 Ion Redline with 75K for $3900. But you were right, the car'd been sitting for years and very poorly maintained. Leaks and the intercooler wasn't working.

I have literally no idea what you mean. I was just being helpful.