I think the BRZ is awful to live with, please explain the hype behind this car

I think the BRZ is awful to live with, please explain the hype behind this car

Because it's the perfect storm of a car

It's RWD, relatively cheap, and has a decent base for sikk modz

It also has the "japanese" factor, in which parents think it's a reliable car, because >japanese and it's got the JDM cred for the kiddos like TJ Hunt

I sat in one the other day and I was fairly unimpressed. You have zero visibility, cabin is cramped, and in general to get a car that isn't a base POS you have to put down a lot of change. But, I haven't driven it, so I won't make any handling claims, but apparently people love it on twisties. Whether that's Stockholm Syndrome because they paid so much money for so little, I don't know

....despite being a slow piece of shit I really think they look cool though

>200 hp

People brush that number off because they know they can mod it later.

>Whether that's Stockholm Syndrome because they paid so much money for so little, I don't know
You should look up the meaning of the words/phrases you use

>perfect for mods
>12.5:1 compression

I think you mean 170hp, in an RPM range you'll be in 1% of the time. For all intensive purposes the car has 90hp.

> mods bruh
> it's a tuning base

> flat four
> cramped engine bay stock

It has less tuning potential for cheap power that a honda civic. Intake headers and exhaust are not mods. They are unscientific aftermarket sound enhancers.

Getting an ecu "tune" is going to remove the cleanness and low end smoothness for a couple extra hp that in real life conditions will often cause the knock sensor to trip neutering the power. I have seen ZERO evidence that the 86 has tuning potential besides a compete engine change.

The original 86 had a 160 hp 1.6 liter 20 valve that revved to 9. In the 80s. Letting subaru design the engine of a naturally aspirated rwd sports car was a terrible mistake

>intensive purposes
>not intents and purposes

is this the new your/your'e?

the only reason they ever used the boxer was because it played nice with their AWD systems

Then why the fuck is it in the 86? The cg is good but the curb weight is unimpressive. The opposite of the original 86

It's pretty reliable when turbo or supercharged

Engine is a pain in the ass to turbo charge. Efficient manifold designs are a pipe dream. Also requires a complete rebuild to lower compression

>not 3S-GE swapping it

Boxer rumble dude xD

The only thing I hate about them are the fucking drivers, worse than hondas fanbase tbqh

> slower than a legacy
> slower than a baja
> even slower than corollas

and yet they'll still argue to the moon and back about how fun and fast it is and >takumi

>The 1966 Subaru 1000/FF-1 Star, their first boxer powered car, wasn't available with 4WD
>The first one with optional 4WD, the Leone, didn't come out until 1972
oh really now?

>swapping in an engine from 1985
wew lad

If you added BEAMS, I wouldn't even give this (you)

Take that 200hp flat out on a track with a pro driver and see what happens. Guarantee you'll be shitting your pants. Buy something else if you want to smoke cars from the green light.

t. hondacuck

Is pretending to have moron tier reading comprehension your way to get (You)s?

3s-ge isn't really that good desu.

t. Celica st202 owner

>He thinks the AE86 came with Black Top 4A-GEs

Only 16 valves.

>I sat in one the other day
Didn't drive it, what a moron.

>please explain the hype behind this car

It's more fun to drive than anything else in the price bracket by some margin. More practical and faster than the top end ND and has a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty.

do you own one?

i have a civic with 140 hp and it's a great car, i can only imagine anything with 60 more hp would be fantastic

it'll only blow up once or twice but the good thing is engine rebuilds are only $7,000 tops so it's not a big deal

yeah dude it's totally worth the $399 monthly payments for 5 years.

coolest looking affordable car on the market

geared for a younger segment anyway, so all you grandpas can fuck off back to your shitty corvettes and miatas

manual only, no plebs allowed

definitely fast enough, similar to sti. everyone talking about how slow it is pretends like they drive a fucking bugatti when we all know you drive some rustbucket shitbox that would get fucking dusted by it. plus great aftermarket support and mod potential

tldr better than most cars, only hated on by memer faggots like op

>manual only

This piece of shit is slower than a V6 Accord, get the fuck out of here with that "similar to sti" nonsense.

It's fun, there's not much more than that.
Depending on who you ask, possibly the most fun you can get out of a car in that segment.

I've driven one.

It performs better than my Accord, but I could actually live in my Accord, it's so fucking comfy.

its 2750lbs in a modern car that meets 2016 emission and gets 5-star crash test ratings

you're getting a added 400lbs in exchange for the ability to not crumple up like a tin can and cripple you for life as soon as you dagumi into a tree

i think its nice, a modern 240sx. pretty much in the same class as the rx8/s2000

I drive these everyday (I work at Subaru)
You can't fucking see out of them. I have to lean my head out of the window when I reverse even if it has a back up camera. Also it's cramped my 6 foot 2 frame fits but my head hits the roof on bumps even with the seat adjuster all the way down. They are too expensive. The wrx is only 1300$ more and you get a turbo charger and 68 more horsepower and more room. The brz is fucking slow and tiny. Easy to work on. But it just does not live up to expectations. I see alot of moms come in and buy auto ones too.

>The original 86 had a 160 hp 1.6 liter 20 valve that revved to 9. In the 80s.

No 20 valve has ever had a stock limiter at 9k. No 20 valve ever shipped with an AE86. No 20 valve has ever put out 160hp stock, maybe 150hp at best. And to top it off, the first 20 valves rolled off the assembly line in the early to mid 90s.

Cheap new FR, looks alright. There aren't many new affordable sports cars these days.

These will be loved years down the track when depreciation brings them to the point where people can get one and drop a better engine in without a second thought. Aftermarket is huge, but presently it has to be thought of as an additional cost to bring it up to standard and may void the warranty.