I love this tire cleaner but I am sick of paying 7 bucks to clean my tires once or twice

I love this tire cleaner but I am sick of paying 7 bucks to clean my tires once or twice.
Anyone know what the base solvent of this stuff is so I can concoct my own?

Read the back, petroleum distillates it says.
Good luck with your fractional distillation of crude petroleum.

It can be made with refined white sugar, a person i know makes it with sugar and a chemical that you can buy at the store no problem.

But be careful, my brother crashed my truck and nobody noticed, not even the insurance company or the police, but im 99% sure he didnt brake on time because the thing made the tyre a lot more slippery (It was a brand product, not home made).

Knowing which distillate would make things much easier.

You use a whole bottle to clear 4 rims twice?

What?

I was gonna ask this same question. You're supposed to spray it on, not douse it in that shit.

Pretty much takes half a bottle to clean one cars tires.

Sounds about right for dirty dirty wheels

Brake fluid

Why arent you cleaning your tires with dawn? Literally why do you have to buy a "cleaner" for a part of your car thats literally designed to be kicked in its face day in and day out?

Use it bi-monthly, and just wipe down the wheels in between, using a cloth or paper towel.

And painted aluminum is easier to maintain than bare aluminum. I hope yours are painted.

Oh, tires. Dunno. Hit them with the power washer.

My rims are coated, so I just use a few squirts of my detailer spray for each of my 16-inch rims. The coating makes the grime come off much easier. It seems amazingly bad to use half a bottle each time you clean 4 wheels.

If it takes that much spray per wheel, then the cleaner must be incredibly "weak". If that is the case, you should just make a spray bottle of dilute meguiar car wash and spray that one and use a soft brush to scrub non-coated rims. It can't be weaker than your favorite spray if you have to use so much in the first place.

Or you should try precleaning the wheels with a water hose and cloth. You prespray each of the rims with some of your meguiar all wheel and tire cleaner. Sparingly. By the time you come back to the first rim, it had some time to soak. Now take the hose and have a little bit of water run just enough to provide lubrication as well as rinsing action as you take the cloth and wipe the dirt off the rim. Keep wiping and do it fast for each wheel. No need to be perfect this first pass. Rinse the cloth out in the water doesn't matter if still dirty as long as grains of dirt are out. Sparingly spray the meg cleaner again on each wheel. Now repeat the wiping again only this time you will be thorough.

This multiple pass system is faster and uses far less of your spray cleaner than if you just spent a ton of time and cleaning solution on one wheel at a time.

My tires always get a dirty film that you might not notice until you clean them with a product like this.
The power washer does not touch this film.

The rims take far less of the cleaner than the tires do. In fact , I never have to spray any on the rims, the excess from the tires cleans them fine.
I like my tires to look black and new but not shiny.

Why the fuck are people in this thread talking about keeping wheels clean?
This is tire shine you fuckheads.

You need to read the label user, this is not the product you think it is.

>I hope yours are painted
clear coated . Its the tires that give me trouble

>This is tire shine you fuckheads.

This is the non-shiny version of tire shine.

I wonder if a detailing spray will make the tires black and slightly shiny but not really shiny? The choices would be limited to things that don't stain trim white, so that means either Meguiar's Ultmate Wax Detailer spray or the Turtle Wax ICE Detailer spray. Both types use polymer waxes that don't leave a white stain on trim.

it says cleaner on the label

>I wonder if a detailing spray will make the tires black and slightly shiny
To test out the above idea if certain types of non-staining detailer spray could be used to blacken the tires, I just tried Turtle Wax ICE Detailer spray. It doesn't work in making the tires appear black without being shiny. It just cleans them and makes them slighly more black but that is it. Summary: FAILURE

Surely, there must be a product out there that makes things black without being shiny? Or perhaps it needs a two part application? One part is adding the tire black dressing which also makes it shiny. The 2nd part is removing the excess dressing that shines so that it just remains black.

So, perhaps one of the tire black dressings can be used to make it shine. Then spray the non-staining detailer spray over the tire dressing to remove the excess oily stuff floating on top of the tire. The detailer spray would do this as it seems to have an emulsifier effect with oils in that it lets me wipe them off with a paper towel. So I am guessing it will let me wipe a lot of the excess oil off if I spray and wipe quickly. The clear coat on the rims would also shine a lot more due to the detailer working on clear coat.

Well, as I have no tire black dressing, I cannot test this idea any further. I always detested the artificial shinyness. Oily shining tires makes me feel like I put ancient hair pomades on my head to make my hair shine. Like Brylcream.

Well, maybe someone else can try the idea. Or they can find a product at Amazon or NAPA that makes a tire black without making it overly shiny. There is one for interior dashes made by Armor All. Unlike their other products that leave an oily residue (yuck) this one is supposed to leave less to the point it is not so shiny.

When stuck on a solution, apply MacGyver

>once or twice
Are you pouring it on the tire or some dumb shit? I use the same exact one and get about 8-10 washes with one bottle, for all 4 wheels and tires. Use less of it.

I use the Alloy cleaner, and Ive used it probably 4-5 times so far and the bottle is just NOW almost empty. I think you're dousing it a little too much.

You can clean almost anything surprisingly well with washing powder

>You can clean almost anything surprisingly well with washing powder
It's rubber, so he doesn't want to dry it out. Washing powder (detergent) would dry out the rubber thus artificially aging it.

Try silicone grease. Most tire shines have silicone of some sort. It'll be shiny and won't fuck the chemistry of the tires. Don't buy the spray stuff though (even the food safe kind), it tends to have some pretty rough solvents. And don't get any on the tread because that shit is slippery.

You know that hydrophobic coating you see on commercials where they pour mud on a pair of work boots and it slides right off? Wonder if that would work on tires.. fuck it, maybe the whole car?

>It'll be shiny and won't fuck the chemistry of the tires.
As previously mentioned, he wants it black without being shiny. Tires don't look natural being shiny.

use this fag
use 7:1 with water
>Meguiar's MGL-D10101 Detailer All Purpose Cleaner

cheap and makes a TON of tire cleaner

who the fuck cleans there tires? are you all retarded?

>he doesn't take care of his tires
summer fag probably doesn't work on his own car
normies LEAVE!!!!!

>please tell me this is bait
whatever ill bite. i take care of my tires
i properly inflate them
i rotate them every oil change
and i make sure my camber, caster, and toe adjustments are within factory spec so my tires dont wear unevenly
>protip i do my own alignments at work
Hunter makes good racks

>who the fuck cleans there tires?
If you re-read the OP's various posts carefully, you see that he uses that cleaner because it leaves the tires looking natural black again, but not shiny black.

What OP apparently wants is a natural dark black fresh new rubber look. That cleaner spray seems to have a blackening effect without being shiny.

I also would like a product that makes the tire look black again but without that artificially shiny look.

You must not live in the southwest .
Out here tires start to look like crap after about 6 months. Must be all the UV

NIGGA JUST USE AN APC AND TIRE SHINE FUCK

Use Koch Chemie Plast Star if you can get your hands on it

Guys I love the look that the maguires leaves, I just want to make it myself.
Dont want shiny tires, and all purpose cleaner s do not do the job right.

Who doesnt clean their tires?

>NIGGA JUST USE AN APC AND TIRE SHINE FUCK

You can just cheap out and use soybean oil as the shining component. Armor All's original formula back in the 1980's was based upon an emulsion of mineral oil. So it was dirt cheap for them to make.

At first, I used armor all. I didn't like the shine but I didn't want the dash to crack from being dried out. Eventually, I stopped since I hated oily surfaces. To me, that is "dirty".

I finally protected my dash from the desert sun by getting one of those carpets. Everyone else that used armor all (or variants) always had oily interior windows. As the armor all oil evaporated, it would coat the seat fabrics and interior windows. Since the oil is a bit thicker or stickier than other oily films (like from plasticizer), it required more rubbing to get rid of if using paper towels and windex. I was glad when microfiber came. It sucked the oily mess off the windows.

After the armor all experience, I kept up my dislike of oily shiny coatings. So that's why I don't like tire dressings that leave the tire shiny. It sure looks artificial. I might as well apply Afro Sheen to the tires because that is cheaper than tire dressing and probably purer too since it has to meet FDA purity laws for carcinogens, etc. It makes sense since I don't want my tires to get cancer.

just pay the $7 a bottle and try to use less each time

Clean your tires with dish soap and a brush you autistic fuck. Why are you spending $7 on a bottle of expensive shit to clean something that is literally made to get dirty?

Because in the high desert where I live, tires develop a film that is not removed with dish soap

The easy solution to your problem is buying the Armorall tire shine. I've used that stuff several times and I'm still on my first can.

That stuff does not clean, it just makes the tires glossy and black and wet looking.
I want the nice dry matte finish.

So leave it there FFS

It looks terrible user. I want my van to look sharp.

That is basically what I do , but family and friends are always asking me to help get their cars clean. Seems like so many work hard at it and still dont do a good job, its like they dont even see the dirt.
Any I always find myself faced with really dirty tires that take half a bottle to clean.
Maintanence takes less of course.

/Would just like to find out what is in this stuff.

>Would just like to find out what is in this stuff.
You could look up the patent for the product Time to check a patent database where they declare and define what is in it. If it is not patented, then it should be easy to clone (if you knew what was in it, heh).

They're a little over $4 at walmart, stop shopping at auto parts stores unless you like getting ripped off.

asking Veeky Forums which chemicals you should mix

>Dying of toxic gasses
>Dying of toxic gasses

choose one

Just buy gas chromatograph with mass spectrometer. It will analyse composition of tire cleaner. Why murricans waste so much money instead of buying equipment for analysis?

i typically wont even bother with the rims with a quick wash...just spray them a bit and most of the dirt comes of with the wash soap.

i do have aftermarket aluminum rims and new tires, i usually only get in there and scrub and detail each rim and tire once every few weeks, takes alot of that cleaner to do it tho yeah

>I love this tire cleaner but I am sick of paying 7 bucks to clean my tires once or twice.

Have you simply tried putting an extra strong concentration of your car wash shampoo in a spray bottle and as you spray, you have a gentle fine brush continuously stroke across the surface of the tire you are spraying? That would be pretty cheap and you could use up the whole bottle and not feel bad about the cost.

With the gentle scrubbing action and continual addition of new fresh dilute shampoo spray, the sticky grime will come off the tire and reveal itself to be nice and black again.

I think even if you use your favorite All Wheel & Tire cleaner, if you only scrubbed, you wouldn't use anywhere as much. It's those spray and no scrubbing necessary cleaners that make you use too much.

I dont believe that anything water soluble will be of help.
There is an unknown solvent in this stuff that cuts through tire grime like nothing else.

>There is an unknown solvent in this stuff that cuts through tire grime like nothing else.

Did you look up the patent info for the product? What items does this product contain as listed in the patent?

OP, Here you Go

Product: Hot RimsĀ® All Wheel and Tire Cleaner
Maker: Meguiar's , Irvine, California
Purpose: Automotive, Remove grime, grit and brake dust from all factory wheel surfaces

Previous Formula change: 2011 October
New Formula change: 2014September
Specific Gravity 1.02 - 1.03 [Ref Std: WATER=1]
Hazards:
--> May be corrosive to metals
--> Causes severe skin burns & eye injury

2% of the mixture consists of ingredients of unknown acute dermal toxicity.
9% of the mixture consists of ingredients of unknown acute inhalation toxicity.

Ingredient - - - - - - C.A.S. No. - - - - - - - % by Wt
Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture 75 - 95 Trade Secret *
Tetrasodium EDTA 64-02-8 1 - 5 Trade Secret *
Decylamine Oxide 2605-79-0 1 - 5 Trade Secret *
Sodium Metasilicate 6834-92-0 1 - 5 Trade Secret *
Sodium Olefin Sulfonate 68439-57-6 1 - 5 Trade Secret *
2-Propoxyethanol 2807-30-9 1 - 5 Trade Secret *

Meguiar's tested this on the following animals: Rabbits, Rats, Mouse, Guinea Pig. In vitro tests were also performed along with ingestion, skin, eye, inhalation, and carcinogen studies. Tests include: LD50 (lethal dosage for 50% casualty rate), severe damage, irritation, sensitizing. Reproduction and birth defect studies were also performed 2 generations in a row. Renal effect testing performed and inconclusive.

*in vitro: injection (woah sounds painful)

>There is an unknown solvent in this stuff that cuts through tire grime like nothing else.

TSP (Tetrasodium Phosphate) does that too. It is a cheap degreaser but bad on bare skin because it will suck out all grease including the fats it can get to if you let it soak into your skin (thus irritating).

>Tetrasodium EDTA
That's not really for degreasing like Tetrasodium Phosphate. Instead, EDTA has a "water softener" effect in that it allows more of the mineral deposits and greasy film to be removed. With normal cleaning sprays that don't have EDTA, after they clean so much of the grime, the liquid is sort of saturated with the grime and thus it stops cleaning so well. With EDTA, it chelates out the grime and minerals, so the cleaning solution can keep on cleaning full power. So a generous amount of EDTA is probably the secret why this spray cleans and keeps cleaning.

thanks user!

w2cop

Well, it looks like HotRimz All Wheel & Tire cleaner has water by weight as the top ingredient. Naturally, Meguiar's listed water as a trade secret.

With ingredients like that, I hope it is "safe" for clearcoated wheel rims.

Making some guesses here as I am not a chemist.

Non-hazardous Mixture 75 - if it's non-hazardous can it even contain ethanol or methanol? Carrier for the active ingredients. I wonder what kind of neon pink coloring agent it uses.

Tetrasodium EDTA - a type of mineral and metal chelating water softener to prevent saturation of the cleaning solution by grime

Decylamine Oxide - detergent that bonds with grime and prevents scum from forming by holding grime in solution so it can be rinsed or float away on suds. Prevents re-deposit of grime on surface.

Sodium Metasilicate - highly caustic detergent extender to help detergents keep being detergents by bonding with grime. Think of it as "detergent" for the detergent. Your detergent yanks the grime off, then this yanks the grime from the detergent, thus freeing the detergent to keep on being a detergent. That's an oversimplication though. Prevents re-deposit of stubborn grime on surfaces.

Sodium Olefin Sulfonate - a type of detergent

2-Propoxyethanol - solvent that is compatible with the detergents. Probably used as a penetrating cutting agent to quickly loosen the grime's chemical grip to the surface.

>Anyone know what the base solvent of this stuff is so I can concoct my own?

The base solvent (majority solvent) is water.

The secondary solvent is 2-Propoxyethanol but you could probably use a larger amount of isopropyl alcohol. Unfortunately, isopropyl is not compatible with a lot of detergents as it decreased their ability and vice versa.

Fisher Scientific sells reagent chemicals. But you may be able to find the chemicals at commercial chemical suppliers for much cheaper since they have commercial purity instead of research lab purity. Unfortunately, after 9/11, a lot of places don't sell to unlicensed individuals who are outside the trade.

>I love this tire cleaner but I am sick of paying 7 bucks to clean my tires once or twice.

Can't you just spray one of those tire black sprays, then wipe off the excess oily spray so that it doesn't shine as much?

These oily sprays use oil to make the tires black. If the oil was totally removed, they'd be back to the dull not-so-black color again. As long as there is oil, the tires are going to shine.

Only if the dirt and grime and surface oxidation is removed do you get that nice fresh new tire black once again.

what the fuck is going on in that picture

Russia

I use Black Magic Bleach tire cleaner, and scrub with a bristled brush, works really well, and cheap

Back in the 90s it was like that a lot

Does it leave the tire black looking but not shiny afterwards?

Maybe after applying the oily stuff, and cursory wipe, a spray bottle of water can be sprayed on the oily tire. Then paper towel or microfiber used to suck off all the excess oil on the surface. That way, only the oil that is soaked under the surface of the tire remains. That may make the tire black enough but not shiny? I haven't tried this yet to find out.

There doesn't seem to be any blackness causing magic ingredient that isn't oily. And oil shines.

That Meguiar's "HotRims All Wheel & Tire" is pretty strong stuff. The warnings on the bottle say it cannot be used on uncoated rims, anodized rims, uncoated alloy, etc. So I wonder how much of the old rubber it eats away in order to expose new fresh black rubber to make the tire look black again.

Why not just buy something that a cheaper and be willing to use a gentle soft brush? It's not the same as spraying this stuff, waiting one minute, and hosing it off, but it will be cheaper and you'll use less liquid.

>They're a little over $4 at walmart

It's a bit deceptive. It's the bottle plastic that is neon pink. Not the liquid.

Why is the shine all that bad for you guys? When looking at those tires from a distance, without a shine, a clean black tire actually doesn't look much different from a dirty black tire except that it is just less "gray". But the shine actually makes it look more black when seen at a distance.

Since a waxed car and clean rims are already shiny, having the black tires shiny does not look out of place. Everything is shining in the first place.

If you're making it, then you realize you need some sort of detergent. But detergent or soap doesn't have enough bite for persistent greases, so you need some type of petrochemical solvent. As you know, most petrochemical solvents are susceptible to detergents which would neutralize their solvent effect. That limits you to only a few types of affordable surfactants and solvents.

The choices Meguiar's made seems to be a good mainstream "cookie cutter" selection of compatible materials. But after 9/11, it is hard to buy lots of chemicals. The paranoia level is absurd yet strangely appropriate since bomb materials can be made by those who know how to use industrial chemicals.

Rather than making your own, perhaps you should buy a commercial user's container amount of it and refill your bottles from that. It would be more economical than buying it one bottle at a time.

>perhaps you should buy a commercial user's container amount

I've seen some really giant bottles of Meguiar's polish at a commercial supply store, so they probably do make larger containers of their product line for shops. But I don't know where to go for those. I've seen those warehouse parks full of places that barely advertise their existence with just a tiny name on the front. But inside, they are large warehouses full of items for commercial shops to buy and use. In other words, those are the "stores" whose normal customers are businesses and they normally don't or usually refuse to sell to consumers.

I bet those types of chemical supply places would distribute Meguiars. But you'll need super luck to find them since they don't seem to advertise to anyone but the trade.

I don't like shiny either but I use Meg's Tire Foam which cleans and blackens and let sit for 5 minutes and then get a used MF towel and absorb most of the shine and it leaves it almost matte.

Also use Eagle One A to Z tire and wheel cleaner and use a brush on the tire. It's honestly the best tire and wheel cleaner I've used. It's an orange bottle

I wonder if the oily shine is basically just cheap mineral oil (Johnson's Baby Oil).

It could be some kind of silicone.

>It could be some kind of silicone.
Silicone oil would be the best bet. It's a better choice for rubber than mineral oil. Mineral oil would be what some cheap chinese knock-off used.

Is there such a thing as oil that doesn't "shine"? Seems that would make rubber black without it shining so much.

Nothing is better than Meguiar's, OP.

You can get them for under $5 on Amazon, but you'll need to buy 5 of them, or $25 worth of other items.

>I wonder what kind of neon pink coloring agent it uses
Uh, that's just the bottle, pal.

I noticed that even if I don't clean the tires, if I clean the clear-coated rims and make them shine, the tires automatically look more black because those rims look much brighter and thus force a contrast between the two.

>With ingredients like that, I hope it is "safe" for clearcoated wheel rims.

It requires clear-coated rims. Other types of coating or protections are not allowed due to corrosiveness of the chemical blend. No anodized rims, no bare alloy metal, no uncoated steel, etcetera.

>You can get them for under $5 on Amazon, but you'll need to buy 5 of them, or $25 worth of other items.
OP should just switch to a product that is slightly less convenient and save a lot. HotRims All Wheel & Tire cleaner is spray, wait, hose off. But if he is willing to use a simple brush, a weaker solution can be used on the tires, he then brushes it a little, and hoses it off including hosing the brush.

I never liked products that were "touch-less". Those spray on, hose off products were either weak or they used excessively strong chemical concentrations to compensate for not brushing or rubbing the object to be cleaned.

I'm buying new tires tomorrow. I decided I wanted the white text ones over the all black. When you clean tires with white lettering does it make the letters darker? Do I just clean around them?

With white letters, I generally cleaned just the white letters with something gentle like windex. That removes any dark grime on the letters. Boy, that was so long ago. White letters fell out of favor along with white sidewalls.

There is also a white type short lifespan "touch up paint" that can be applied to the letters but you don't find that in shops anymore. Almost no one uses white letters on black tires now. At least I never see white letters on tires around here on either trucks or cars.

The only reason i can see that fucking happening is if you were completely buttering the treads with the shine shit and not using your head.