What would be a good engine to learn how to rebuild and work on...

What would be a good engine to learn how to rebuild and work on? I was thinking a 4AGE because it's very simple while still being a good engine, like the Mazda BP

Other urls found in this thread:

billzilla.org/4agstock.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes

Best engine to learn on is the best one for you man. One that you are interested in. Having a boring engine is like cancer. Its fun for the people around you to laugh at you for having, but is really depressing for yourself.

I have a 5AFE....

>5 valve
> way over engineered
Nothing will break and if it does it will be catastrophic and beyond your ability. Learn on a corolla or a civic if you want to "learn" by fixing your broken shitbox

>5 valve
I doubt OP has a 20v
>over engineered
Wut? Its a very simple engine

I didn't want to say Honda because basically I'm going to help my friend with a project car for the next 6 or so months, so I suggested something simple for him to learn but he wants it to be FR as well.

The best one is whatever you already have.

Stop stalling, pick up some cheap tools from anywhere, and start wrenching.

What is simple about it? The number of cylinders? The ease of access to the outer bolts? I have a Toyota. As far as the actual ENGINEERING is concerned it is anything but simple. In almost every case reliability takes precedence over ease of repair. Less likely to break but really quite complicated

he wont learn anything with a honda
too reliable

Youre retarded. Everything is super simple on A blocks.

Isn't it a clone of a super old Ford Cosworth engine?

No

Yeah I knew it was
billzilla.org/4agstock.htm

Toyota's first engine was really a Chevy Stovebolt clone so it's tradition

>because billzilla said so

Chebby smallblock

If you don't want to go Japanese, an older American V8 is a good engine to learn on, too. Dead simple to take apart and put back together, and many big chunky things that will be easier to work with than a small i4 (i.e. pushrods vs a chain driven DOHC setup).

VW's 2.slow engines aren't too complicated.

>no one has said Volvo

The old redblock engines are fantastic learner engines, simple, reliable, less likely to catastrophically fail if you fuck up something with the belt due to non-interference design, will work even if you don't quite put it back together the right way.

This, OP. Start on a real engine that you can boost to 500hp and still get 500k out of it

Lawn mower engines are good to learn on. Very few special tools needed. Parts are dirt cheap. Can find old rusted out lawn mowers for real cheap sometimes.

Truf.

I've torn apart a lot of lawn mower engines just for fun.

it's pretty much common knowledge kiddo

16V 4AGE is a great way to go. Could stick carbs on it and do pretty much anything yourself.

Alternatively basically any motorcycle engine that's not from the last decade or so. We used to pull MC14e apart but they're hilariously over-engineered and a bit of a bastard to put back together (everything is tiny). VTR250 engines and what not are dead simple though.

Both of these are good options too.

>In almost every case reliability takes precedence over ease of repair. Less likely to break but really quite complicated
Its just like german cars except that theyre unreliable and not designed to be repaired.

>Says 16 valve on the image
>Is a corolla engine

?????

silvertop and blacktop were 20v, but jdm only

op's pic is a 16v

Ford 302, used in countless vehicles.
Or any Chevy small block, 350 or 305 also used in many vehicles.

A corolla (doesn't even have to be AE86) or MR2 (mr2 have cramped work space but same junk as corolla) should be great to work on.
A civic or any honda in general is also great to work on (don't get it stolen though)

4AGE is good

All of them except the last model of 20v is non-interference

parts are piss easy to find and cheap

the performance aftermarket is there should you be so inclined

and the knowledge base available is pretty large

My first engine build was a SB350. Adjusting lifters and rocker arms sucks balls but it was a good first engine for me

A geo metro engine is by far the easiest one to work on im surprised no ones said it yet.

LEL

3800 Series II

I'd say get a cheap and disposable engine, not one autistic people would kill you over the internet for breaking

You fuckers should get one of those newer five valve dirtbike engines that rev to the moon, they'll be harder to work on compared to a car but once you can handle the intricacies of it any other motor will seem like cake . Also with the high compression and tighter tolerances it'll feel more like a race motor than some junk small block that's rusted away

An old 318 Magnum would be a good one.

So what would that be?

Aircooled VW?
Small Block Mopar?
1.5 Liter Honda?

Mazda FEs/F2s are pretty goddamn easy, especially the 8-valves found in the B-series trucks.

This is the best engine you can work on tbqh.