Sup Veeky Forums, got a new job and gonna need to commute a fair way, so gonna get a diesel for muh EMMPEEGEEs

Sup Veeky Forums, got a new job and gonna need to commute a fair way, so gonna get a diesel for muh EMMPEEGEEs.

I've been looking at these 3 so far:

1. 2007 Peugeot 407 (2.0/2.7V6) Coupe
+I like the look
+Onboard satnav/parking camera etc
+6spd
+It's a bit different

-It's a peugeot
-It's a peugeot
-2.0 version is a bit breathless
-MPG on 2.7 not brilliant
-FWD

2. 2006 BMW 320Cd (2.0)
+ULTIMATE DERIVING MUSCHEN
+German quality
+Best MPG of the 3
+Will likely hold value better

-It's a BMW so people will think I'm a twat
-Maintainence costs
-I feel like it's a betrayal of the cause to drive a 2L diesel BMW
-Oldest of the 3
-Highest insurance

3. Lexus IS220D
+175BHP so best hp/l
+Cheap to maintain
+Japanese reliability
+4 door for practicality

-Worst MPG of the 3
-Highest road tax
-A bit plasticky inside
-It's a wannaBMW

So, thoughts, Veeky Forums? Have I missed anything glaring in the same price range?

Citroën c6 with the big diesel.

This. The ultimate comfymobile.

2expensive, I was looking in the £3000 range, cheapest C6 is £5k

I think the C5 came with hydropneumatic suspension as well, maybe look for one of those?

Well they're cheap, but won't repairs be a bitch?

yes but you'll also look ratchet

Possibly.
There's also the Peugeot 406 Coupe diesel, which is pretty fucking gorgeous and quite cheap. I don't think it has too many major issues either.

Why would I want to look ratchet?

I prefer the 407, plus insurance is cheaper on the 407s. Though the 406 has the 2.2HDi

Thoughts on the Lexus? I know the ls400 is raved about but little about the other models.

The general consensus on most Lexus models seems to be "boring but solid".

C5 had an active suspension, not a hydropneumatic

PSA peugeot's 2L HDI engine has shown to be really unreliable, with engines shitting the bed under the 150k km

Shut up and buy a civic.

lexus ct-200h

>dash
>gearstick

Not a huge fan.

Interesting, but not diesel.

If you are spending £3k then I wouldn't take the chance of a diesel, too many potentially expensive issues. The E46 is a very reliable car in I6 petrol format, not so much in I4 diesel. great cars, but don't touch a 320d.

If you must have a diesel, get a Volvo S60 D5.

NA petrol like a Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X is a safer bet.

lol, spaceball shift boot

I dunno really, my parents have a 14 year old Volvo V40 they spent £1500 on and now has the best part of 200k on with no major issues. What could potentially go wrong that would be so expensive? Head gasket due to the compression?

Are you joking? A diesel engine that isn't a modern 1.3 running 60psi of boost to make up for its displacement will be leagues more reliable than a petrol engine.

5.7 hemi truck with 35inch tires, 11mpg lol eurocucks

coming from a bmw fanboy, i'd say get the lexus as it looks the most expensive/new of the bunch, the e46 is kinda dated in comparison
or get a 330d made from 2003 with the new 3.0 204hp engine, it's pretty quick and still gets decent mpgs

the older 2.0d with 136hp was indeed shit
the newer (2002+) 150hp 2.0 liter is decently reliable

WOT U FUKIN SAYIN M8 U WANNA FUKIN GO?
fuckin yank

330d looks good but insurance and tax is sky high

No, there are more expensive potential issues with diesel cars than there are with petrols - obviously we are talking about modern ones. Turbo failure, all sorts of swirl flap issues, quicker wear on the dual mass flywheel, EGR valves, injector problems, DPF issues (big money and you can't remove them now) etc etc.

Older ones are great, the only ones I would buy in that price bracket would be a VAG 1.9 PD130 or a Volvo D5 163.

So Passat/Octavia/A4 from that era?

Accord 2.2

Yeah that isn't a bad shout at all, they are generally pretty reliable. The early 2.0 TDI isn't a good one in terms of longevity but the 1.9 PD engines (150 aside, chocolate camshaft) are good.

sure, great displacement for an europoor

But 12 fewer horses than the beember at 2.0 and 45 fewer than the lexus at 2.2

get a 330d.more chance to find a decently equiped one + mpgs are still really good and that 180hp is plenty for cruising. 3.0d i6 is also fairly reliable.

Says here it's 218hp. Can't find one under £3k that's newer than 2003, or in manny tranny. Is there is a 2.5?

Beggars can't be choosers. Fuck off.

No you, cunt. There's plenty of choice.

I'm a livery driver.
A few of my friends run Peugeot diesels usually the 1.9 and 2.0. The engines last well over 300k miles.

But Peugeots have terrible depreciation and they arent the most fun to drive because FWD.

I have no idea about BMW reliability.
But out of those three its the one I'd pick.

I personally drive a Mercedes W211 with a 2.2L Diesel. Its a good option. There's also a 2.7L 5cyl and a 3.2L I6 and a 3.0 V6.

I had to get the 2.2L because its the only one that comes with a taxi package and 6MT. I've seen 5cyl ones with over 500k on the clock. Mine has 230k so the engines last. Never had any real problems or any faults either but I service it 5 times a year.

motorcycle