Tesla, NiMh battery best battery

Tesla, NiMh battery best battery.

Other urls found in this thread:

candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400136-Disassembly-of-some-UltraFire-batteries
transportevolved.com/2015/03/04/nimh-batteries-could-yet-again-power-electric-cars-says-basf-thanks-to-ten-fold-increase-in-energy-density/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_encumbrance_of_large_automotive_NiMH_batteries
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But fire is cool. NiMh sucks, I'm so much happier with lithium ion and li-po in my RC planes and helicopters.

but no patents on some types...cheaper, can discharge to %0.

I would advise against poking a hole in your batteries

>.cheaper,
Not a big deal
>can discharge to %0.
And still has less capacity for a given weight.

I'm a gasoline car man, no electric cars for me, and an electric RC heli/plane man. Electric is just better for small planes and helis, and lithium is the best battery tech for them because muh weight matters more than muh cost ($50/battery vs $20/battery is a negligible issue if you can afford model planes)

Design the vehicle to be lighter, to offset battery weight.

I find this ironic since the majority of RC planes used to be internal combustion but now are mostly electric

Is that a car or a FEMA mass produced rolling coffin?

Russian city car.

Oh dear god, the fatalities are going to be off the fucking charts.

just use lighter battery tech instead.

>city car
explains a lot

>Russian
I'll be waiting for crashes of this caught on dashcam

hopefully they make a 2 or 1 seat version and use the extra space for some more crumple room.

I guess you just don't know what irony is.

Also, cars are very different from model planes and helicopters. Electric is more practical, quieter, more modular, less expensive, when it comes to models, and it's just flat out superior for small models. Want more power? Swap the motor and battery out, easy and cheap. Cars aren't like that. If I want more power, I can put a turbo on or port the head or change the tune etc, that's a lot easier and cheaper than having to buy a brand new motor and re-wire the car, change out the speed control circuitry, etc. Plus, electric cars are pigfat and sanitary, the opposite of what you want for fun; visceral, communicative and light.

You don't see gasoline powered phones or laptops. Proof that electric cars are better.
/thread

>NiHM

why not just go back to NiCd?

Best battery tech is the most expensive (patents)

Since OP sounds like a jealous Toyotafag they probably will

>Tesla, NiMh battery best battery.
USA or japan made results in more reliable batteries. Got to beware of chinese parts as even the new LiON cells they sell may have recycled LiON battery parts inside of them. They know you arent' going to send the cell back to them for replacement, and if you did, they would simply not respond.

See this thread article for examples of chinese LiON batteries taken apart showing how they are actually recycled used batteries or are missing required safety features.

LiON from China has scam or illegal (in usa) parts inside:
candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400136-Disassembly-of-some-UltraFire-batteries

Other chinese batteries also have variances, so it is not just those few brands proven in that thread. For example, the same model/size of ENELOOP NiMH batteries can be made in either japan or china. But the chinese ones have half the life of the japanese ones even though they are supposed to be the exact same battery model and catalog number.

Ask BASF
NiMH Batteries Could Yet Again Power Electric Cars Says BASF, Thanks to Ten-Fold Increase in Energy Density
transportevolved.com/2015/03/04/nimh-batteries-could-yet-again-power-electric-cars-says-basf-thanks-to-ten-fold-increase-in-energy-density/

The tradeoffs are energy density (and charge/discharge rates) versus cost versus lifespan versus bulk. NiMH just isn't at a particularly good trade-off point.

Chevron owns the patent on the large-format NiMH, and prevents the batteries from being produced or imported into the states

>Chevron owns the patent on the large-format NiMH, and prevents the batteries from being produced or imported into the states
Citation needed

In 1994, General Motors acquired a controlling interest in Ovonics's battery development and manufacture, including patents controlling the manufacture of large NiMH batteries.

In 2001, oil company Texaco purchased General Motors' share in GM Ovonics. Texaco was itself acquired by rival Chevron several months later. The same year, Ovonics filed a patent infringement suit against Toyota's battery supplier, Panasonic, that led to a negotiated settlement in 2004.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_encumbrance_of_large_automotive_NiMH_batteries

>most people know this

NiMH batteries are not afflicted with the memory effect. And NiMH batteries contain no toxic materials, so there are no disposal problems.

Recent advances in LiON technology can result in LiON batteries having many thousands of recharge cycles. It's just that they have to do more research into product safety. It has to do with a gel electrolyte change. So it would suck for Tesla to gear up their giant new battery factory for certain types of batteries only to have the technology change.

I find this disappointing. I grew up flying nitro and gas planes with my grandfather. He has about 30 of them around his house ranging from 2' wing spans up to 8' wing spans. I loved building kits from scratch too and now almost everything is an ARF. I enjoyed the construction more than flying them and flying them is pretty damn fun.

>standing around to inhale that shit

Good idea.

That won't stop Tesla, they steel patents all the time, then go "Look what we made, here have free access" buggering the actual inventors who can't afford to take on Musk.

>I'm a gasoline car man

*tips fedora*

You clearly don't know what the term means or refers to.

wut
fedorafags are hardcore teslafags

>General Motors acquired a controlling interest in Ovonics's battery development and manufacture, including patents controlling the manufacture of large NiMH batteries.

That would make a lot of sense if they wanted to make an electric car. Which GM eventually did.

General Motors streetcar conspiracy
refers to convictions of General Motors (GM) and other companies for monopolizing the sale of buses and supplies to National City Lines and its subsidiaries, and to allegations that this was part of a deliberate plot to purchase and dismantle streetcar systems in many cities in the United States as an attempt to monopolize surface transportation,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Tesla stick 1200 LBS of Panasonic 1865 laptop battery's in their Gliders, but they are programed to discharge to a lower rate than used in laptops.
They have no battery Tech or patents, That's why Merc dumped them.
>Gigafactory is just making Panasonic laptop batteries

>Tesla stick 1200 LBS of Panasonic 1865 laptop battery's in their Gliders

The future batteries are not 18650. The battery cells that will be produced at the Gigafactory will be the new form factor 20700, i.e. a diameter of 20 mm and are 70 mm in length. This is a more efficient size for the next generation.

That can't be a MiMh. They don't do shit like that. Has to be a LiPo.

>let's go backwards to make stupid technology work
batteryfags are comedy gold.
>b-but in the future we will have better batteries, scientists will figure it out

And build windmills to charge them!

And use regenerative braking to recharge them.

Ok Panasonic 20700
"Tesla and Panasonic, the automaker’s strategic partner in the Gigafactory, will manufacture a new 20700 cell format "

>technology that let us manipulate electric charges
>older than ICE engines

you are such a dumb nigger its painful

Model S, with its 4,600 pound (2,086 kgs) curb weight, is a much heavier car in comparison, with about 1,600 of those pounds dedicated to the battery alone

The BMW i3 weighs in at just over 2,800 to 3,000 pounds (1,270 to 1,360 kgs) thanks to its expensive-but-lightweight carbon-fibre body

A 4700 pound car that usually carries only one person, this is the future?

Tesla took delivery of large quantities of battery cells from Samsung.
A bill of lading between Tesla Motors and Samsung SDI at the Oakland port shows that the automaker took delivery of over 120 tons of Samsung SDI 18650 battery cells – the same format Tesla sources from Panasonic.

120 tons = 120000kg = 2727272 cells (at 44g/pc) = 378 cars (at 7200 cells/car).

Also
$485M for Musk’s & SolarCity’s robotic solar module manufacturing facility approved (again)
The State of New York has approved a continuation of $485M in funding to build out SolarCity’s Gigafactory – capable of producing 10,000 modules a day. A few weeks ago, we saw the cash disbursements stopped for further review of key individuals associated with construction