Thr most simple engine to assemble

Hey Veeky Forumswhat is yhr most simple engine to assemble.

I want to learn to assemble an engine but i prefer something, small, with less parts and a more conventional design, so no rotarys

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wKNhjBNTA-I
youtube.com/watch?v=lZq09wsxeus
crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Performance-Build-Book-88958728-P10603.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

prob a 12a wankel

A two rot-
>no rotarys
Shit.

Probably an iron doodoo or something equally simple and ancient then.

J-type valveless pulse jet.
simplest combustion engine ever.
Has no moving parts at all.

An old Briggs and Stratton Lhead engine.

A fucking lawn mower, with a 2 cylinder.

I used to make my own engines by scavenging old ones from mowers, blowers, and other engine aplications and shit around my neighborhood and otherwise.

Me and a friend connected 4 snowblower engines with 1 cylinders to make a 4 cylinder engine. No idea how much power it made, but we timed it well enough that they banged at about the right times.

Anyway, we mounted it on a shit buggy made of welded pipes, no suspension no nothing JUST POWER. Used an electric mowers motor to start the engines, REAR WHEEL DRIVE, no diff.

THING WAS relatively FAST.

My friend borrowed it and took it to his cottage, and i never saw it again. i think his degenerate shitskin ass friends destroyed it.

I wish i could go back, and make another buggy. I miss my friend. He was my only one.

air cooled carb fed clockwork spark vw/porsche

>Porsche
>Simple
youtube.com/watch?v=wKNhjBNTA-I

OP, buy an 80's Honda/Toyota.

Probably not as small as u want but a Ford 300 I6 is cheap, easy to find, and as simple as you could get to assemble.

How small? As others have said, a lawnmower engine will teach you the basics.

But if you want to wrench on an actual car engine I'd suggest a 22r. Plenty of parts, cheap, small.

Are you actually going to put in in a vehicle? If not, practice your skills with model kits; it's a good way to start.

youtube.com/watch?v=lZq09wsxeus

a weed whacker should be simple enough.
just saiyan.

Hykungdia Accont

doesn't get any dumber than an old american small block v8, v6, or straight 6. Even if the tolerances aren't perfect odds are it will probably run fine.

One of the cheapest engines you can learn on that's conventional is GM's Ecotec 4 cylinder. Pick up a 2.2L from.... something.
DOHC, balance shafts, 4 valves per cylinder. and it's all aluminum so if it falls off the stand, 1 person can hold the engine while another bolts it back onto the engine stand.
I know that last one from experience.
Tools to take apart:
flat tip screw driver (there are indentations in the head for one to help pry the head off once you have the bolts removed)
ratchet
10mm socket
13mm socket
15mm socket
A torx set (can't remember which torx it uses. But it's 2 of the head bolts, the 2 bolts closest to the cam gears)
valve seat removal tool (if you're taking the head down to nothing)

If you get the GM Ecotec performance build book (link to it below), it should you how to disassemble the engine down to the block (leaving in the crankshaft) without removing it from the car.
crateenginedepot.com/Ecotec-Performance-Build-Book-88958728-P10603.aspx

>GM's Ecotec 4 cylinder
Fyi it's an opel designed engine.

except it isn't. Design input for the engine came from Saturn, Saab, Chevrolet, Opel, and Oldsmobile.
First production version (2.2L)? 2000 Saturn L-series.
First turbocharged version (2.0L)? 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
First supercharged version (2.0L)? 2004 Saturn Ion Redline
First direct injection version (2.2L): 2003 Opel Vectra
First Variable Valve Timing version (2.4L): 2006 Saturn Ion 3/2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS NA/2006 Pontiac Solstice
First turbocharged, direct injected, VVT variant (2.0L): 2007 Saturn Sky Redline/2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP

Opel actually snubbed their noses at the Ecotec engines for the longest time, only using them when their own Family 2 engine didn't suit their needs. It wasn't until Daddy GM announced they'd phase out Opel's own Family 2 engine that Opel started using them more.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

OP here

I have a D15 Honda engine that i have plan to use to out in my Civic wagon, but i'd rather not tear apart something im going to use soon.

Id like something thats is cheap, and easy to rebuild, easier than a Honda.

LS1

pushrod engine is easy, almost no electrics to worry about either

yes there's more cylinders, but it's the same shit on all of them and it's not confusing at all.

Huh, NATO.

I always thought it was Opel that mainly designed the ecotec series.

It's hard to get easier than a non-vtec Honda sohc, next closest thing is a pushrod V8 that's no more complex but will have some more parts.

see:

I think i should throw in the fact is that i'm just worried about messing up measuring the bearing and making sure that the piston rings are the right length and in the right position.

If theres an engine that doesnt require not too much accuracy, the better.

Head gaskets, water pum

I like this idea, on a dcale of 1-10 how relatable is it to automobile engines?

Do i pit piston rings and bearings?

do i go ahead and pick up any mainstream engine, Honda, Briggs and Stratton etc.

B series cummins are pretty easy to assemble and hard to fuck up.

50CC Two-stroke. There's the head, cylinder, piston & crank...

This, get an old vintage moped and rebuild the engine

Are you living in europe?
I do not know about america, but I get some old 2-stroke bikes for a few hundred euros.
I had a lot fun working on these, and I also know how an engine works now.
Pic related, my old shitbike.

Simple 2 strokes are definitely easier I agree.
But if you're buying something to spend a lot of time fiddling with, a 4 stroke gives you more to learn.
Wholly agree a bike or other small engine would be best, when you can lift the engine yourself and can work on it with little space it'll be a lot easier.

>no rotary

cuck

First engine I rebuilt was a single cylinder Honda lawnmower engine, pretty small and simple. After that was a Honda D16, simple again but not too crazy.
You're gonna need a impact gun if you are installing or reinstalling the crankshaft pulley and some sort of spring compressor for the valves.
My advice is to have plenty of ziplock bags, label them for whatever part, take pictures as you dissassemble, really helps reassembly when looking through them in reverse, take notes as well.
Also don't forget to torque the required nuts & bolts.
That's a good start

This. I got one that wouldn't start but turned over for free and I'm in the process of putting it back together after taking it apart and cleaning it up. Here's pretty much 90% of the engine parts, it's simple as fuck and can be taken apart and put back together in an afternoon.

SBC 350.