Did I bleed my brakes wrong? I have an 06 Mustang GT

Did I bleed my brakes wrong? I have an 06 Mustang GT.

I just bled my brakes. My pedal feels 'soft'. Kind of like how it did before. I can't really tell a difference. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Anyways, when I bled my brakes, I had my GF press the brake pedal. Unfortunately she mad the mistake of going 1/2-3/4 of the way down with the brakes sometimes. I don't think it damaged anything though.

Whenever I brake at idle, my brakes make a 'puff' noise when I slam it at idle. I never noticed this sound too much prior to bleeding my brakes but I never really looked for it so I have no idea. They have a smooth travel but don't feel like they are activating until I am about 1/4 of the way down. They don't bite hard and high like my buddies Corolla but like I said, it was like that before as well. They bite hard when they are deep in.

What could I have done wrong? Did I even do anything wrong? The brakes engage fine I am just worried about the puff sound they make at idle or when I slam it on light load. They don't make that sound when I'm braking at 45mph.

>never let master cylinder run dry
>had aquarium tubing in brake fluid so air wouldn't travel in

take it to a shop before you kill someone

The brakes work fine man

>the thing that keeps me from crashing is acting weird
>I don't know what's going on
>it's fine

What do you think your next car will be, after you write this one off?

It actually sounds about right

Is it? I mean, my car is an 06 GT so it has a booster vac that works under load and volume, right? Shit is computerized too, right?

There's not any less or any more pressure than before. I don't remember my brakes making the puff sound because I never slammed the brakes at idle so yeah.

Okay, I just tried the same thing on my roommates 2010 Corrola.

It makes the same noise when you hit the brakes.

Am I just stressing over nothing? Is this just one of those sounds you ignore basically? Again, my brakes activate just like before and the pedal feels basically just like before. The old brake fluid was pretty dirty. I feel my clutch grab better but I don't feel anything different in my brakes.

Also forgot to point out that my car has servo brakes

As long as the brake fluid reservoir has never run dry, you shouldn't need to bleed your brakes I don't think. The only other way for air to get in the lines would involve brake component failure.

Dude the fluid that came out was diarrhea black

Are you sure you bled the right lines?

Yeah man

Brake fluid came out

Personally, don't screw around with things you don't know about as a general rule. That's my best advice.

Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Op what you are experiencing is automotive hypochondria

You have to flush your brakes every once in awhile, like twice a decade, to get all the rust and gunk out of the lines. You have to make sure they're bled right when you do that.

>mfw master cylinder is almost completely shot now
>mfw I still drive it 60 miles a day every day in the city

If your brake lines are rusting, and gunking, I think you have bigger problems than the fluid. They're a sealed system, and if they're not sealed, they're broken. If everything is working properly, you're not going to randomly need new fluid (apart from topping up the reservoir), unless you're anal.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it does absorb water over time. And old brake fluid gets shitty and eventually can boil when it's heated up under hard braking.

bump

bump

ABS cars sometimes require a scan tool to bleed brakes properly since the internal ABS valves have to be actuated. This could be the cause of the soft pedal.

However a low pedal is usually due to excess clearance between the pads/shoes and the rotor/drums, depending on how the car is equipped. If the car has rear drums they probably just need adjustment, Rear drums should actually be fairly difficult to turn by hand with noticeable sound of dragging shoes but you should still be able to turn them.

If 4 wheel disc it's possible that one or more caliper guides are stuck such that the calipers are not free to move and this is what's resulting in the excess clearance. I would suggest a complete inspection, cleaning, and lubrication of caliper guides and pins. Especially on a 10yo car.

holy shit guys.

OP, you are probably ok, but if you have any concerns just go around the car and bleed it again. Spend $60 on a motive power bleeder so you can do the job alone.

As far as the sound, most modern cars do this.

on most cars brake fluid and clutch fluid are the exact same fluid.

if you bled only your brake lines your clutch isn't going to feel better you idiot. two totally separate things.